Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Urthwhyte
    • Oct 2011

Assuming you are behind a router doing NAT and with a basic firewall built in you really shouldn't need one on the machine unless you're trying to stop things getting out, rather than getting in. Even then the one built into the OS should suffice, provided you're on Vista/7.

Comment

• endorphinz
      Banned
      • Jun 2009

yep on a router doin NAT but on xp pro sp3... and yeah, it's the out going traffic I wanna control. I could use the built in ms fw as a last resort but I'd really like something NOT ms and a litte more customizable

Comment

• aussy
        • Jul 2011

Alienware M11x, thoughts? (specifically the r1) specs, su7300 4g ram

I've been running my Lenovo T61 for the past four years, and it still works fine with the exception of a slightly failing screen which I've grown used to. Its also a touch slow, but that's probably because push it too hard. I maintain it regularly. I also have a Dell desktop from like 2006 that's relatively untouched.

I don't need it, but I've been wanting a new computer. Wanted something durable, portable (11.6) and powerful. Main uses are INTENSE web browsing and photoshop (just elements). Maybe I'll play Diablo III on it when that comes out, which doesn't seem to have too high requirements.

The only net/notbooks that seemed to qualify were: hp pavillion dmz1, lenovo x120 (or the yet to be released x130), and maybe the asus eee 1015n. The alienware (comes out to $540) look is a bit much for me, but its in a metal case and seems like a powerhouse for my uses. BUT, thought I'd see if anyone had any other ideas.
        Last edited by aussy; 12-29-2011, 08:49 AM.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Something tells me this year I will buy an iPad. Well, held out long enough...
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Dane
            HAMMERTIME
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            Ditto. My one gripe was the "grittiness" of the screen...compared to the iphone 4 anyway, it looked like shit. If #3 fixes that issue, I'll be sold.
            i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Dane
              HAMMERTIME
              • Feb 2011

Cameras

Any educated opinions on the slew of 4/3 micro cameras coming out? Is there a negligible difference between these and a DSLR for non-pros?
              i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• lowrey
                ventiundici
                • Dec 2006

generally, they are of course a bit more portable and still cabable of great shots, but still quite not a dslr in terms of image quality and usability.

I just gave in.. a Galaxy Tab, but anyway. I blame it on the kid
                "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Dane
                  HAMMERTIME
                  • Feb 2011

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                  generally, they are of course a bit more portable and still cabable of great shots, but still quite not a dslr in terms of image quality and usability.

I just gave in.. a Galaxy Tab, but anyway. I blame it on the kid
                  Thanks...that's what I thought. I just can't commit to a DSLR...too much money, too large, etc. I have a p&s that I'm not very pleased with though...guess I'll wait to see where technology leads us next.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                    Thanks...that's what I thought. I just can't commit to a DSLR...too much money, too large, etc. I have a p&s that I'm not very pleased with though...guess I'll wait to see where technology leads us next.
                    Just get the Canon s95 or s100.

Funny, lowrey, I too blame it on the kid!
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• soulshui
                      • Nov 2011

the new one coming in 3 weeks can't wait. been holding the my lust on it for too long as well.

Comment

• lowrey
                        ventiundici
                        • Dec 2006

another interesting read..

“I actually think Apple does one of the best jobs of any companies in our industry, and maybe in any industry, of understanding the working conditions in our supply chain” - Steve Jobs
                        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by rilu
                          I agree all other companies involved in this kind of shit should be exposed as well. But the fact only one is, doesn't mean that's bad as such, I mean any exposure of this kind is important. The real problem is: how to buy any technology nowadays that's not based on such problems? It's so strange that there is no single company trying to push an anti-sweatshop agenda when it comes to technology, or at least I've never heard of any.
                          When it comes to stereo equipment, there are plenty of small-scale makers that produce in the US/UK/Europe. Will cost you a pretty penny though.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by DRRRK
                            Exactly. It does not make it any better that others are as bad of course. It just not a valid argument against Apple, meaning to the advantage of any other.
                            Years ago I remember reading a fantastic article in the Economist about how great it is to be the number two in any industry. You are still a huge force and don't have to deal with the PR storm that the number one has to bear.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• endorphinz
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2009

do you iPad users get a data plan or do you solely rely on wifi? I'm waiting for the 3 and will probably just tether to my iPhone.

Comment

• munch
                                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post
                                do you iPad users get a data plan or do you solely rely on wifi? I'm waiting for the 3 and will probably just tether to my iPhone.
                                haha yeah wifi from iPhone to iPad. don't need more than one plan.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎