• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DHC
    • Jul 2007

Re: Artistic Expression vs. Sartorial Engineering

[quote user="philip nod"]

i've had my Ma+ calfskin wallet for at least a year and its doing great. it looks better once the cross etches into the leather from use. are you serious? a carrying bag to put your wallet in...? la la land being doing things to your brain

[/quote]

lulz

Originally posted by Faust
    fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• Trendy Andy
      • Jun 2007

[86] No seriously, it barely fits into my DRKSHDW jeans pocket, and it bulges on the side like as if I stuffed a breakfast burrito in there. I also noticed when I try sitting down, its just does things to the wallet I wish it would never do. [70]

[quote user="philip nod"]
      i've had my Ma+ calfskin wallet for at least a year and its doing great. it looks better once the cross etches into the leather from use. are you serious? a carrying bag to put your wallet in...? la la land being doing things to your brain
      [/quote]

Comment

• ddohnggo
        • Oct 2006

i take out my wallet whenever i sit down. it feels like sitting on the george costanza wallet

Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• DHC
          • Jul 2007

Andy, were you the one that bought Joey's wallet?

Sartorialoft

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

I honestly don't understand the difference between those two items. I'm not trying to derail the thread or anything but aren't they both taking utilitarian items and giving them a new spins? Margiela is even referencing a commonly used type of shoe in some ethnicity while MA+ made a differently designed wallet. Are you trying to distinguish between garments that are "art pieces" and others that are a beautiful exemple of design giving an utilitarian item a different shape and properties?
            Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• DHC
              • Jul 2007

aesthetic vs. construction perhaps..

I don't see Margiela's shoe as a direct reference to a common ethnic shoe in the final product. I see reference to a 4 legged beast. Hoof on a human foot. Conveys a message to me. Though I suppose that message may be subjective.

I don't see the ma+ wallet as having been given new properties or shape. I see a tri-fold wallet with a different approach to construction.

Sartorialoft

Comment

• casem
                • Sep 2006

Good topic DHC. It's difficult because, as others have said, we often look for both. As far as separating them, I would say on the runway, the artistic expression is what will immediately draw me in. The general image, mood and personalities of the characters being presented on the runway will lead me to follow a designer and check out their clothes in stores. But when I'm buying something, I don't want to be suckered by buying into the artistic expression too much and paying designer prices for something basic that has simply been ornamented. This has led me to look more at construction lately, because a unique construction of a garment is something truly special that can not be had at a lower price point (unlike say a t-shirt with a print on it). In fact, I have made a resolution not to buy any more clothes with a straightforward design because I have enough designer basics in my closet. This has led me to explore Ann and some of the Japanese brands more (sorry, still not into CCP).

Forgive me for delving into stereotypes, but something I have always noticed about this board is the emphasis on construction of a garment. This strikes me as a distinctly straight male point of view. I think it's great that so many straight guys can talk so in depth about fashion and not feel the least bit self conscious and this might explain it. Maybe I'm wrong, but the CCP thread is the ultimate example of guys talking about building stuff as if you were talking what goes into the engine of a car or lawn mower. Whereas, stereotypically female fashion interest (sorry Laika and Kira, you're far from typical I'm not talking about you) is more concerned with trends/looks/celebrity. I just can't see the girls from Sex in the City sitting around talking about the stitching of their dresses and how it's made from a single piece of object dyed fabric.

Anyway, sorry about my sociological musings, I don't mean to offend and I know I'm talking about sweeping generalization here, but it's something I'v always thought about and found it relevant here.

music

Comment

• kira
                  • Mar 2008

[quote user="casem83"]

Good topic DHC. It's difficult because, as others have said, we often look for both. As far as separating them, I would say on the runway, the artistic expression is what will immediately draw me in. The general image, mood and personalities of the characters being presented on the runway will lead me to follow a designer and check out their clothes in stores. But when I'm buying something, I don't want to be suckered by buying into the artistic expression too much and paying designer prices for something basic that has simply been ornamented. This has led me to look more at construction lately, because a unique construction of a garment is something truly special that can not be had at a lower price point (unlike say a t-shirt with a print on it). In fact, I have made a resolution not to buy any more clothes with a straightforward design because I have enough designer basics in my closet. This has led me to explore Ann and some of the Japanese brands more (sorry, still not into CCP).

Forgive me for delving into stereotypes, but something I have always noticed about this board is the emphasis on construction of a garment. This strikes me as a distinctly straight male point of view. I think it's great that so many straight guys can talk so in depth about fashion and not feel the least bit self conscious and this might explain it. Maybe I'm wrong, but the CCP thread is the ultimate example of guys talking about building stuff as if you were talking what goes into the engine of a car or lawn mower. Whereas, stereotypically female fashion interest (sorry Laika and Kira, you're far from typical I'm not talking about you) is more concerned with trends/looks/celebrity. I just can't see the girls from Sex in the City sitting around talking about the stitching of their dresses and how it's made from a single piece of object dyed fabric.

Anyway, sorry about my sociological musings, I don't mean to offend and I know I'm talking about sweeping generalization here, but it's something I'v always thought about and found it relevant here.

[/quote]

interesting indeed...i think very relevant and did not really think about things in that way.

interesting reference given today is the opening of the movie. [74]

Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• Johnny
                    • Sep 2006

casem - that is one of the best (and best expressed) observations I've seen on this forum! this is what I was trying to get at yonks ago about the "geekyness" of some of the threads here, but you made it much clearer. I think it's a really interesting observation.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="Johnny"]

casem - that is one of the best (and best expressed) observations I've seen on this forum! this is what I was trying to get at yonks ago about the "geekyness" of some of the threads here, but you made it much clearer. I think it's a really interesting observation.

[/quote]

Haha, are you still reeling from droogist's comment?! that was harsh, i admit :-)

So, casem, I know you are looking forward to Sex and the City the film! [86]

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Johnny
                        • Sep 2006

i hesitate to ask this faust, but what was that comment again? i don't specifically remember it...[76]

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Johnny"]i hesitate to ask this faust, but what was that comment again? i don't specifically remember it...[76][/quote]

it was something about whether you think that all girls are shallow materialists and guys are simply collectors. something along those lines.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Johnny
                            • Sep 2006

yes.... I think I agreed with that, at least the second bit, or did I propose it, fuck can't remember. anyway I do kind of agree with it, but the point about what casem said was that it included an explanation for it (the second bit anyway) - the need to deflect away from the"gayness" in having an interest in fashion by talking about it like it's like a model aeroplane.

Comment

• laika
                              • Sep 2006

^"materialist fetishists" were the women, i believe. As opposed to men who are geeky collector types.....[73]
                              ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Johnny
                                • Sep 2006

ahah, it's coming flooding back. funnily enough i didn't feel that that was an attack because i don't think it's that perjorative a suggestion...i think as far as generalisations go it's not too bad

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎