Page 1 of 39 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Art (Contemporary and Otherwise)

Default Art (Contemporary and Otherwise)

I don't know if this post has already been made, but I am giving it a go.</p>

My favourite piece of art at this moment is:</p>

</p>

It's made by the artist Troels Carlsen.
    </p>

Default Re: Your Favorite art-piece(s)

By Klimt - "medicine" (study)
    </p>

<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Verdana; font-size: 11px; white-space: pre-wrap; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 2px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 2px; "></span></p>

and more.</p>

</p>

Small Self-Portrait(c. 1657) Rembrandt Harmensz. Van Rijn

I think this is one of the most beautiful self-portraits he ever painted. The manner in which he unsparingly depicts the marks of life on his face with the help of an unbelievably free application of paint. This self-portrait conveys in a double sense an image of the destruction of the face, on one hand the destruction to which the face has been subjected by the process of aging on the other hand, it is a violation of the likeness through the brutal use of brush and paint.

Last edited by BECOMING-INTENSE; 11-25-2011 at 04:54 PM.
    Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
    Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Portrait Of The Painter Karl Zakovsek(1910) Egon Schiele

Schiele's muted palette underscoring the subject's melancholy mood. Though the sitter is dressed formal, in a three-piece suit, he is shirtless: the quintessential picture of the impoverished artist.

Last edited by BECOMING-INTENSE; 11-25-2011 at 04:54 PM.
    Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

i dont know if this directly fits into this thread but i love what Theo Jansen is doing right now, they called him the "DaVinci of the new age". He calls himself a kinetic sculptor, and what he does is create this massive machines that function and move just by the wind. its amazing. i advise anyone whos interested look him up on youtube.

<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Tahoma; font-size: 11px; white-space: pre; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 2px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 2px; "></span></p>

<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Tahoma; font-size: 11px; white-space: pre; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 2px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 2px; "><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 13px; white-space: normal; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px; ">Blood on the Floor by Francis Bacon </span></span></p>
    LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

An art installation called Convergence by Valerie Wedel. </p>

</p>

The installation conveyed a sense of calmness and serenity throughout as I walked in it. I felt like I was in a waterfall or the sea, but the entire thing was captivating. There's another piece Wedel did last autumn which was similar to this one. </p>

i worship bacon {but i hate to admit it }
    but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

For today, these are my favourite pieces. By GünterBrus and Hermann Nitsch.</P>

I believe Poell said somewhere (I forget where) that hewas deeply influenced by the Vienna Actionists.</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

[quote user="AKA*NYC"]

<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Tahoma; font-size: 11px; white-space: pre;"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 13px; white-space: normal;">Blood on the Floor by Francis Bacon</span></span></p>[/quote]Didn't know this one, wow.

[quote user="klangspiel"]

I believe Poell said somewhere (I forget where) that he was deeply influenced by the Vienna Actionists.
    </p>

[/quote]</p>

I would love to see this confirmed. I have said over and over that Poell strikes me as the fashion counterpart to the Vienna Aktionists. This is what initially drew me to his clothes.</p>[quote user="justine"][quote user="AKA*NYC"]

<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Tahoma; font-size: 11px; white-space: pre; "><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 13px; white-space: normal; ">Blood on the Floor by Francis Bacon </span></span></p>[/quote]Didn't know this one, wow.

[/quote]</p>

I saw it years ago in person at the Francis Bacon retrospective in San Francisco. In a way it's starkly different than his other work but thematically it's as Bacon as it gets... :)</p>

</p>
    LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Pope Innocent X(1650) Diego Velázquez

Study after Velazquez's Portrait of Pope Innocent X(1953) Francis Bacon

Talking about Francis Bacon, during the 50s and early 60s he did several studies after one of the most striking papal portraits I have ever come across. This I think is important in how this portrait is pursued today.The striking part is not because of the popes unique personality, his inhumaness, the combination of heroic power and corruption, but because of the opposite of uniqueness: Of what he has in common with other human beings. The human condition. How Velázquez ever got away with this is interesting.

Last edited by BECOMING-INTENSE; 11-25-2011 at 04:55 PM.
    Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Thanks BI. I haven't seen that Francis Bacon in a good 15 years or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

[quote user="BECOMING-INTENSE"]How Velázquez ever got away with this is interesting. [/quote]Right! i also wonder how Goya got away painting all those monarchs looking like monsters too. Goya's definitely in the list of my favorites.

Yes, Goya is a great one to .. especially when alot of these portraits was done as a manifestation of status ...</p>

You're welcome DHC.</p>

[51]</p>
    Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

No Pope should be called innocent.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Wouldn't exactly call these my favorite art works, but I'm really interested in Johannes Kahrs ATM and wanted to share a couple pieces . . .
    </p>

</p>

</p>

Diego, that Klimt is my favourite from him.</p>

I must admit that I too am a Francis Bacon worshipper, however if I were to mention my favourite of all time, it has to be this one from Odilon Redon, "The Eye Like a Strange Balloon Mounts toward Infinity", 1882.</p>

</p>

</p>

</P>

These Decades that We never Sleep, black drums by Terrence Koh</P>