Clear All
  • crouka
    • Jul 2007

I like the image of the lamps in the woods very much

nagasawa

Comment

• Mail-Moth
      • Mar 2009

^ I'm quite honored to find myself in such good company !

BTW, could you please give me the complete name of the artist above ? I tried to google him, but everything I get is dozens of pics of a (rather nice) chick, and some bikes.

Edit : found it I think. Nagasawa Rosetsu ?
      I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
      I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• luke
        • Mar 2011

@Acéphale, i love agnes martin! tate modern had a bunch of her work on display about a year ago and it was amazing to see some of her darker and lighter works together.

i've been revisiting some arnulf rainer etchings recently.

Comment

• crouka
          • Jul 2007

there is a summer tradition, spiritual event, over here in which people float paper lanterns down a river.
          there is something in that image I somehow relate to.

Mail-Moth, the artist is akira nagasawa.

Comment

• Ochre
            • Sep 2009

Agnes Martin is infallible.

Comment

• trentk
              • Oct 2010

There was a period in highschool where I would spend hours reading passages from huysmans' a rebours, and frantically googling the paintings, plants, fabrics, colors, jewels, obscure terms etc... mentioned. As such, Odilon Redon is one of my favorite artists.

"Des Esseintes had a special weakness for the other frames adorning the room.
              They were signed: Odilon Redon.
              They enclosed inconceivable apparitions in their rough, gold-striped pear-tree wood. A head of a Merovingian style, resting against a bowl, a bearded man, at once resembling a Buddhist priest and an orator at a public reunion, touching the ball of a gigantic cannon with his fingers; a frightful spider revealing a human face in its body. The charcoal drawings went even farther into dream terrors. Here, an enormous die in which a sad eye winked; there, dry and arid landscapes, dusty plains, shifting ground, volcanic upheavals catching rebellious clouds, stagnant and livid skies. Sometimes the subjects even seemed to have borrowed from the cacodemons of science, reverting to prehistoric times. A monstrous plant on the rocks, queer blocks everywhere, glacial mud, figures whose simian shapes, heavy jaws, beetling eyebrows, retreating foreheads and flat skulls, recalled the ancestral heads of the first quaternary periods, when inarticulate man still devoured fruits and seeds, and was still contemporaneous with the mammoth, the rhinoceros and the big bear. These designs were beyond anything imaginable; they leaped, for the most part, beyond the limits of painting and introduced a fantasy that was unique, the fantasy of a diseased and delirious mind.
              And, indeed, certain of these faces, with their monstrous, insane eyes, certain of these swollen, deformed bodies resembling carafes, induced in Des Esseintes recollections of typhoid, memories of feverish nights and of the shocking visions of his infancy which persisted and would not be suppressed.
              Seized with an indefinable uneasiness in the presence of these sketches, the same sensation caused by certain Proverbs of Goya which they recalled, or by the reading of Edgar Allen Poe's tales, whose mirages of hallucination and effects of fear Odilon Redon seemed to have transposed to a different art, he rubbed his eyes and turned to contemplate a radiant figure which, amid these tormenting sketches, arose serene and calm—a figure of Melancholy seated near the disk of a sun, on the rocks, in a dejected and gloomy posture.
              The shadows were dispersed as though by an enchantment. A charming sadness, a languid and desolate feeling flowed through him. He meditated long before this work which, with its dashes of paint flecking the thick crayon, spread a brilliance of sea-green and of pale gold among the protracted darkness of the charcoal prints."
              "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• voice_on_tape
                • Jun 2011

chicago artist. jason brammer.

-v_o_t
                sale items

Comment

• several_girls
                  • Nov 2010

Saw an exhibition of Ana Mendieta's work in Chicago. Loved what I saw.

Comment

• BUMMER
                    • Feb 2010

Crouka: Do you live in Hiroshima?
                    Acephale: I've given Agnes Martin's "Schriften" as a gift more than once only to let if fall out of print before I could get myself one!

Comment

• crtk001
                      • Nov 2010

dan flavin is always a favourite of mine

Comment

• trentk
                        • Oct 2010

The Death of James Lee Byars, James Lee Byars

The Capital of the Golden Tower, James Lee Byars

The Diamond Floor, James Lee Byars

Concave Figures, James Lee Byars
                        "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• Catfood
                          • Oct 2008

A line made by walking (1967) by Richard Long

Comment

• crouka
                            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by BUMMER View Post
                            Crouka: Do you live in Hiroshima?
                            I live in tokyo.
                            the traditional event takes place in many/various places, almost all over japan.
                            some of them may be especially well-known. arashiyama, hiroshima as you say, etc.

yasuo higa

Comment

• kompressorkev
                              • Dec 2006

Anselm Kiefer, Jerusalem

- acrylic, emulsion, shellac, gold leaf, canvas, steel, and lead -

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                                • Jan 2008

The Scornful Woman(1910) Egon Schiele

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                                Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰