X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laughed
    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Ochre View Post
    Laughed, I'm sorry.. I didn't mean level in a hierarchical sense as if Donovan is better than Friedman. I'm suggesting that their approach to art making is too different to compare in those terms (ie. Tara was not "going for" what Friedman did in that pin piece as you mentioned above). It is unjust to think that simply because both forms are made using multiples of an object, they're automatically of the same species.

Friedman's work is more comedic, absurdist, playful, and witty. Donovan focuses more on the transcendental nature of an object once abstracted from its initial functionality and form as well as the methodology of construction. Her pursuits are perhaps more poetic... philosophic.

I love both of them for very different reasons. Friedman is certainly an accomplished artist and well deserving of his success. But I also think Donovan deserves far more credit than reducing her to an artist who works in multiples and is somehow missing the Friedman mark when I don't think she intends to work in that direction.
    Ha, quite the opposite my friend. Friedman's work is not comedic or absurdist. He has stated so multiple times in many interviews and writings. If you are to use the word transcendental - that word certainly applies to Friedman's. He has stated that most of his work comes from his Buddhist background and meditation. I believe it was in Parkett magazine where he specifically said it is wrong to label his art as comedic - as it is very serious. The fact is, I've seen both in person. Tara's did absolutely nothing. In all honestly, to me - it's a joke - a craft. I certainly didn't feel the "rothko effect" that you seem to be getting. Tara is "going for" craft. Friedman - the real transcendence. Watch and read his interviews and writings, you'll get a better feel for what he and it really is. I would never speak his name in the same sentence as _____. There are PLENTY of artists that are doing exactly what she is doing in China and Japan, and have been for decades. The images speak for themselves.

anyway, that's a dead horse.
    in other news -

Check this out - a great article as well as some links on the current happenings with the artist Ai WeiWei.
    News about Ai Weiwei, including commentary and archival articles published in The New York Times.
    Last edited by laughed; 04-11-2011, 02:14 AM. Reason: ai

Comment

• Fade to Black
      • Sep 2008

i've always liked that middle finger series of photos Ai did.

That said I have been hearing that apparently all this activist activity over him in the latest case may be misdirected, and that he possibly DID commit some crime beyond expressing (or the wish to) himself. It's more difficult in Ai Wei Wei's case than someone like Liu Xiaobo to see what exactly the government is going after him for, as people tend to forget that Ai Wei Wei is not only an artist but also a businessman with definite business interests in mainland Chinese territory (an architectural practice of all things - anything to do with building or property is a sensitive and mysterious issue in the country difficult for most people without direct involvement in the sector to get a clear picture of); martyrs aren't necessarily all good all the time.
      www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
        • Jan 2008

Rosas danst Rosas(1997) dir. Thierry De Mey
        Based on the Choreography by Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker
        Music by Peter Vermeersch and Thierry De Mey

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
        Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• semper
          • Feb 2009

Geertgen tot Sint-Jans: De Verheerlijking van Maria
          sicut lilium inter spinas

Comment

• Acéphale
            • Apr 2010

a classic piece

Joan Jonas
            (1936 - )

Vertical Roll
            (1972)

ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

Comment

• endersgame
              • Aug 2009

sugimoto's portraits of wax henry viii figures.
              out of this world detail and contrast.

actual print sizes are a massive 60 x 50.

Comment

• Ochre
                • Sep 2009

Sugimoto is easily one of the best photographers working at the moment. His work will surely live on for a very long time while so much other contemporary garbage will be easily forgotten.

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                  • Jan 2008

Self-Portrait With Beret And Turned-Up Collar(1659) Rembrandt Harmensz. Van Rijn

Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• Fade to Black
                    • Sep 2008

First photo that shows up in the slideshow. This image speaks so much...I think it is about as close as one can get to a singularly complete pictorial representation of the embodiment of "Evil" as an idea - not even evil in the sense of the 'bad' counterpart to 'Good' but just an encapsulation of what that idea on its own can incorporate under its definition as a philosophical construct.
                    www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• Fade to Black
                      • Sep 2008

all of it.
                      www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• lowrey
                        ventiundici
                        • Dec 2006

all by Callum Innes
                        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• lowrey
                          ventiundici
                          • Dec 2006

Soulages
                          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                            Soulages ...
                            Hopefully you didn't miss the Exhibit at the Martin-Gropius-Bau, Berlin,
                            that ended in the beginning of the year. Quite amazing collection of
                            his work.

I always find it hard to keep my fingers from those thick layers of
                            black paint in his work, it's the texture.
                            Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• zamb
                              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by BECOMING-INTENSE View Post
                              Self-Portrait With Beret And Turned-Up Collar(1659) Rembrandt Harmensz. Van Rijn

Always a lover of upturned collar, especially now worn by rembrandt......
                              “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                              .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• several_girls
                                • Nov 2010

all by Kim Dorland

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎