X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PaintedBlack_7
    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by jumpoff View Post
    You are probably aware of this, but if you are planning to travel around in Japan, you should definitely get the JR Pass, which gives you unlimited travel (with the exception on a couple of the fastest shinkansen) on JR operated trains for one, two, or three weeks. Travelling inside Japan is very expensive, so its easily worth it. You buy it at a travel agent in the UK before you go and then exchange it for the pass in Tokyo when you get there.

As for a budget, you should be fine with around 2000GBP. My tip would be to spend money on food instead of clothes. By my standards I´ve bought quite a lot of clothing while living here, but some of the food experiences I will probably remember forever and I wish I´d spent more on food and less on clothes. If you´re looking for a deal, go for lunch as the prices tend to differ quite significantly compared to dinner. Lots of top restaurants offer reasonable set menu lunches.

If you´re into sushi, you should try to go to some of the top places. I went to Saito for lunch and it was really memorable, and as a non-japanese speaker it really helps that Saito-san speaks some English. You would probably have to book weeks or months in advance though, probably with the help of a concierge. I am definitely going back when I come back to Tokyo.
    Great tips, to this day i still have a PASMO card with the equivalent of $200 left on it, and i use it whenever im in japan.

Hiroshima is alright, tokyo is more exciting from a consumer level/perspective. But the atomic/nuclear bomb museum is worth visiting. spend an hour there or so.

Hiroshima is filled with awesome hole in the wall places, pints of beers for 800 yen is a good deal. you'll find out how expensive japan is once you get there haha.

have fun, vending machine restaurants were a staple for me. that and natto since im allergic to most Japanese food.

Comment

• Atom
      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by PaintedBlack_7 View Post
      have fun, vending machine restaurants were a staple for me. that and natto since im allergic to most Japanese food.
      I salute you, you're a very brave man.
      Last edited by Atom; 02-23-2011, 03:08 AM.

Comment

• Peasant
        • Jul 2009

Heading to Japan with the lady in a few weeks. Pretty much have Tokyo planned out but will also be hitting Kyoto and Osaka (3 days each). Any recommendations are appreciated for cultural, fun activities. Only planning on hitting Mindtrive in Kyoto. Most of the shopping will take place in Tokyo.
        Last edited by Peasant; 08-12-2012, 10:57 PM.

Comment

• the-orb
          • Jun 2009

Don't miss the Ryōan-ji in Kyoto. A couple of years after my visit, still one of the most memorable images of Japan. Also, if you go to Mindtrive, you could spend a couple of hours in the modern area around it and stop at some restaurants. I walked from Mindtrive back to the historic part where I was staying in a hotel. It was about an hour's walk but totally worth it. It has a very different feel to the tourist parts of Kyoto. And compared to Tokyo, being able to walk on streets which have names was a big relief.

Originally posted by Peasant View Post
          Heading to Japan with the lady in a few weeks. Pretty much have Tokyo planned out but will also be hitting Kyoto and Osaka (3 days each). Any recommendations are appreciated for cultural, fun activities. Only planning on hitting Mindtrive in Kyoto. Most of the shopping will take place in Kyoto.

Comment

• Peasant
            • Jul 2009

Thanks. That place looks interesting. Definitely the sort of culturally different experiences we'd like to have.

Comment

• jippos
              • Mar 2007

Have you looked into spending time in Arashiyama? The train to get there (short ride) looks like an antique. I would recommend renting bikes (can be done at the station), and riding around. You'll see the impressive bamboo forest, amazing river/mountian views, and the pretty cool togetsukyo bridge. Also, unless this has changed, the bike rental allows you a free turn at the communal foot bath; great after riding around all day, and an interesting way to meet other people. (W/ free commemorative towel! :D )

Comment

• jippos
                • Mar 2007

oh, and I loved the nishiki market, an outdoor, covered, food market, trying things that were unusual, tasty, and unusually tasty.

Comment

• tron
                  • Dec 2010

That sounds really nice. I'll be looking in to the whole bike rental thing a lot while over there i think. I'll be living near the ginza area so I figure it'll be easy enough to get around but any more recommendations of hidden gems you know would be great thanks
                  "I think perfection is ugly. Somewhere in the things humans make, I want to see scars, failure, disorder, distortion."

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎