• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Damir Doma S/S 09 Paris vs. Faust

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad we have a new designer that many people like. Fresh blood is good [Y]
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Jon
      • Apr 2008

[Y]
      Originally posted by merz
      perhaps one day pipcleo will post a wywt so non-euclydian & eldrich in its shapes as to turn all onlookers into throngs of dishevelled, muttering idiots

Comment

• philip nod
        • Aug 2007

i read that as

flesh blood is good

One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="philip nod"]

i read that as

flesh blood is good

[/quote]

well, that too

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MCC1528
            • May 2008

After watching the video tonight, I have to say I like it alot more [Y]

Comment

• unknown
              • Jun 2008

the video is just great.. nearly all of the fits kick ass... i like it a lot, especially the colours rock.[Y]

Comment

Argh, I strongly disagree with the critique posted here. I wear drapey stuff like this. I'd love to own most of these looks, and I definetly think they are structured and real garments. there are a couple unnecessary scarves, but not enough to even make a comment on. I love the grey tone, and don't see at all what some people have against it. The fact that damir dares to go this feminine with his clothes is exactly why I love him.

Kavaj and Faust both don't like this because their ambition and ideals seem to be far from what damirs and mine are. do you still have the conservative look of a male in the base of an outfit? I do not mean it in a bad way.

I want alot more fantasy and flow. This is what everything should be like, to me. Fuck jackets. Fuck shirts. They're the lazy way out. Standard shapes barely renewed. this shows new shapes and garments made from scratch, even if the construction is simple, and this is romance for the modern man. I think I will need to be rich.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Hmmm, I rarely wear jackets (if by that you mean blazers) and dress shirts. I'm all for innovation, but just don't see much here <shrugs>. Yes, I'm a male, and I like male clothes - I just like them well done and interesting and exciting. I don't like feminine clothes - that's why I don't love Ann's latest shows as much as her old ones - she used to warrior-poets and now it's just poets. There used to be a feeling of streamlined elegance, which I can only described by the word "excellence," which is now gone. And Damir does girly gypsy boys - don't like that at all. Not that some of it couldn't be appropriated into a more masculine wardrobe.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

I understand what you mean (I meant blazers btw)

if I was to give critique, I'd say that the silhouette is a bit too loose at times. I like when there are strict garments to kinda hold on to the flowy ones, but i want the soft ones to dominate the look.

I guess there's no idea to argue about a matter of taste.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="Heirloom"]

I understand what you mean (I meant blazers btw)

if I was to give critique, I'd say that the silhouette is a bit too loose at times. I like when there are strict garments to kinda hold on to the flowy ones, but i want the soft ones to dominate the look.

I guess there's no idea to argue about a matter of taste.

[/quote]

Nonsense! That's what makes things interesting! [89]

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

only for those who have the guts to argue with the board owner ;)

haha.

Art Nouveau has always been my favourite era, even before I knew it existed. I saw The Little Mermaid when i was small. Probably hundreds of times. I used to brush my cousins long hair, and I drew plants swirling around eachother, and mermaids with long hair and plants swirling around mermaids with... you get the point.

When I was 13 I discovered Art Nouveau, mostly in Muchas posters and architecture, and I started fantasizing about clothes created with the same easthetics. Then I found Damir Doma, Julius, Rick Owens and Unconditional. The great thing about these designers is that they put the romance from Art Nouveau into a modern setting without much associations. It's clean and non-vintage, except for some of Julius stuff which is a bit too rave-y or industrial for my taste.

I have always had a very consistent line with my taste throughout my life, which has been with me from the very beginning, influenced by noone, and gender has nothing to do with it. I guess as a gay boy I've gotten used to "genderbending", and I don't even notice it anymore. I can take creativity for what it is, without feeling the need to label it as feminine or masculine.

Comment

• Casius
                          • Dec 2006

This collection is good, real good, but I have some concerns with Doma's direction for the upcoming season;

First and foremost, I like what Damir has done over the last few seasons. He definitely has an aesthetic all his own and I think it is conveyed really well on the runway. But this collection I feel is something that will be hard to translate once pieces are in the store and on the racks. There are some stand outs for sure (based on some of the showroom pictures) but a lot of is based solely on the fact someone is going to buy multiple Doma pieces in order to layer and achieve his certain look. I thought his past two seasons had more standout pieces that were easier to incorporate into most of our wardrobes but with this season; Having more sheer, cut out tops, and more experimental cuts it would seem to be harder to make work in normal, every day wear. Seems to me it would be hard for a retailer to buy some of this based on that fact. It would seem it would require buying multiple pieces just to complete one look and one look only when compared to someone like Ann where you can buy multiple pieces and make them work in multiple ways.

I like that his clothing is very conceptual and very romantic (in the way that if someone wears all Doma, they are somehow wearing a 'dream'....Yea, that sounds weird.). But for me, I find I need some sort of normalcy in my clothing. Ann or Yohji is a perfect example; They make clothing that is very wearable but has enough subtle details to make a certain piece unique, say, from a standard 2 button jacket or button down shirt.

With this said, I feel the same about this collection as I did about Raf Simons SS08 collection; Very good runway presentation and cohesiveness but might lack in the stores. I definitely look forward to seeing the pieces in person though, I don't doubt there will be some good items.
                          "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Chinorlz
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Casius View Post
                            This collection is good, real good, but I have some concerns with Doma's direction for the upcoming season;

First and foremost, I like what Damir has done over the last few seasons. He definitely has an aesthetic all his own and I think it is conveyed really well on the runway. But this collection I feel is something that will be hard to translate once pieces are in the store and on the racks. There are some stand outs for sure (based on some of the showroom pictures) but a lot of is based solely on the fact someone is going to buy multiple Doma pieces in order to layer and achieve his certain look. I thought his past two seasons had more standout pieces that were easier to incorporate into most of our wardrobes but with this season; Having more sheer, cut out tops, and more experimental cuts it would seem to be harder to make work in normal, every day wear. Seems to me it would be hard for a retailer to buy some of this based on that fact. It would seem it would require buying multiple pieces just to complete one look and one look only when compared to someone like Ann where you can buy multiple pieces and make them work in multiple ways.

I like that his clothing is very conceptual and very romantic (in the way that if someone wears all Doma, they are somehow wearing a 'dream'....Yea, that sounds weird.). But for me, I find I need some sort of normalcy in my clothing. Ann or Yohji is a perfect example; They make clothing that is very wearable but has enough subtle details to make a certain piece unique, say, from a standard 2 button jacket or button down shirt.

With this said, I feel the same about this collection as I did about Raf Simons SS08 collection; Very good runway presentation and cohesiveness but might lack in the stores. I definitely look forward to seeing the pieces in person though, I don't doubt there will be some good items.
                            ...waiting for Heirlooms response to this

Agreed on all points Cas. Ultimately I don't/won't buy into the head-to-toe Doma look. Instead, I find myself seeing individual pieces that both embody his aesthetic but can still work with "regular" pieces from other designers.
                            www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Casius
                              • Dec 2006

Yea, it's not like I dislike the pieces but when you see them styled in the showroom, you start to realize they don't work without being paired with various other items from his collection.

I think there's very few, if any of us, that actually buy exclusively one designer.
                              "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Servo2000
                                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                                ...waiting for Heirlooms response to this
                                I'm fairly certain that he (we) already addressed that exact point starting on this page of the other Damir thread and moving somewhere into the next.
                                WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎