• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Heirloom View Post
    only for those who have the guts to argue with the board owner ;)

haha.

Art Nouveau has always been my favourite era, even before I knew it existed. I saw The Little Mermaid when i was small. Probably hundreds of times. I used to brush my cousins long hair, and I drew plants swirling around eachother, and mermaids with long hair and plants swirling around mermaids with... you get the point.

When I was 13 I discovered Art Nouveau, mostly in Muchas posters and architecture, and I started fantasizing about clothes created with the same easthetics. Then I found Damir Doma, Julius, Rick Owens and Unconditional. The great thing about these designers is that they put the romance from Art Nouveau into a modern setting without much associations. It's clean and non-vintage, except for some of Julius stuff which is a bit too rave-y or industrial for my taste.

I have always had a very consistent line with my taste throughout my life, which has been with me from the very beginning, influenced by noone, and gender has nothing to do with it. I guess as a gay boy I've gotten used to "genderbending", and I don't even notice it anymore. I can take creativity for what it is, without feeling the need to label it as feminine or masculine.
    Bah, I've never banned anyone for having different tastes! I really don't see the Art Nouveau references though. I mean, it usually incorporates natural elements, flowers, animals, etc, and it's very light and obsessed with classic beauty - its goal incorporating this beauty into applied arts, as opposed to fine arts. Rick and Julius, apart from asymmetry, don't have any of that. Doma, maybe, because it's more organic, if you want to call it that. You could say that Rick's stuff is very soft, but there is always an element of toughness present, and there is a definite anti-aesthetic approach in his work. And Julius, well, Julius is industrial music personafied.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

well, I see it as a renewal of art nouveau. Draping is classic and is the most primitive kind of technique for creating effects in clothing. it's sortof universal and not connected to our efficient everyday lives with squares and packages and locks and concrete. this old unpractical, poetic flowy element is juxtaposed with ricks syncoping cuts, and julius industrial elements (which i don't care much for as it's a bit too cliché rave). Doma has this inviting, forgiving almost pascifist aura around his garments that fit well with the soothing ambience of art nouveau, even if it's not put into context literally. my brain is just wired that way.

Comment

• D_S
        • Jul 2008

Not a big fan of this collection. It seems like he's trying to hard but not quite getting there. His more basic pieces are what please me most here.

Comment

• Casius
          • Dec 2006

Thought I would post some more SS09 pieces...

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Casius
            • Dec 2006

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

That's better. I like the cardi in second pic from the bottom.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• andrewislasorad
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                That's better. I like the cardi in second pic from the bottom.
                approval!

Thanks for posting Cas, looking forward to picking up some of the layering pieces and a pair of the shorts. I am interested to see that seismic, LUC-esque pattern in person. Can't wait to see what Damir has in store for us this next fall.

Comment

• Casius
                  • Dec 2006

Yea, I like a lot of the pieces they picked up (Baudelair is the store I got those pictures from). The blazer, the shirts, and the shorts all look great.
                  Andrew, I'm looking forward to those patterned pieces as well. I really like the oversized shirt.

Comment

• DHC
                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by andrewislasorad View Post
                    approval!

Thanks for posting Cas, looking forward to picking up some of the layering pieces and a pair of the shorts. I am interested to see that seismic, LUC-esque pattern in person. Can't wait to see what Damir has in store for us this next fall.
                    That's the waveform of a human voice. One of his inspirations for the collection was the idea of personal identity. Thanks for tracking and posting these Cas. Much better buy at Baudelair than we've been seeing from others.
                    Originally posted by Faust
                    fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• Casius
                      • Dec 2006

That's a very nice and interesting choice for inspiration. I like the fact the pattern is based on a waveform of a human voice, that's very cool.
                      I'm looking forward to seeing the pieces in person once they arrive.

Comment

• Piffen
                        • Aug 2007

Thanks for posting Cas!

Looks good, I like this 3/4 sleeve thing actually.. And the fabrics look really nice, this waveform print though, that I don't get.

Comment

• philip nod
                          • Aug 2007

not feelin' it.
                          One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                            • Sep 2008

me either. based on the pics from this page alone, kinda blech. Expect more iSuck coppage and more disappointing fabrics/construction quality in person.
                            www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• the breaks
                              • Sep 2007

All of it looks like absolute crap. And if the stuff feels as cheap as his last s/s one has to wonder what he's thinking with those prices.
                              Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                                • Sep 2008

yeah. dare i say i like raf's s/s 09 collection better than this, and i didn't even like that one, at all. the prices are quite insane - it reminds me of Homma/MMJ's pricing vs. Yohji's...i know at the end of the day both cases are a comparison of total apples and oranges, but regardless I can't help but draw up the association when comparing how they are positioned in the market.
                                www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎