X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jon
    • Apr 2008

Re: Damir Doma S/S 09 Paris vs. Faust

..well. it's worth a look. I think I got a bit carried away above. 'must-see'? The photos do not do the clothes justice.
    Originally posted by merz
    perhaps one day pipcleo will post a wywt so non-euclydian & eldrich in its shapes as to turn all onlookers into throngs of dishevelled, muttering idiots

Comment

• AKA*NYC
      • Nov 2007

This looks nice to me. I guess I'll have a chance to get the layered shorts after all.
      LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

damn, I kind of dismissed all the grey looks because of ugly, purplishtone and shininess the fabrics had. but looking at that video, its completely different. the colour looks much more like a "regular" grey. that made me like the collection a whole lot more, actually.

direct link to the video: http://www.damirdoma.com/videos/SS09/index.html

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• lowrey
          ventiundici
          • Dec 2006

reposting these since many of the looks are so much better in these shots:

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Thanks for the video. I think I like it even less now [86][79]. Like I said initially, I don't see much clothes here. Lots of fabric wrapped and flowing, not much in terms of garments.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
              ventiundici
              • Dec 2006

while there is a lot of styling with wraps, scarfs etc, I think theres a lot of good looking clothes as well. 10, 13 and 15 are probably my favourite looks.

Comment

• kavaj
                • Sep 2006

He's making it very easy and just hanging stuff all over the place making it look "living". I call this cheating your way into an interesting look, some don't. I also think he's using way too feminine materials but of course there are some interesting garments.

Comment

• Jon
                  • Apr 2008

[quote user="kavaj"]He's making it very easy and just hanging stuff all over the place making it look "living". I call this cheating your way into an interesting look, some don't. I also think he's using way too feminine materials but of course there are some interesting garments.
                  [/quote]

Did you just say he's cheating? Please elaborate.

perhaps one day pipcleo will post a wywt so non-euclydian & eldrich in its shapes as to turn all onlookers into throngs of dishevelled, muttering idiots

Comment

• laika
                    • Sep 2006

Jon, the video is just great, thanks for posting that! [51] I love that he stuck a woman in there, and that the clothes are so potentially androgynous that you barely notice. [73]

On the whole, I'm having a hard time making up my mind about this, although seeing everything in motion and from various angles definitely helps...

I somehow feel like it's more slick and less raw than s/s...and the rawness was what really drew me to his work initially. It's really frustrating trying to judge from images though--the current collection was a totally different animal in person.

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="Jon"]

[quote user="kavaj"]He's making it very easy and just hanging stuff all over the place making it look "living". I call this cheating your way into an interesting look, some don't. I also think he's using way too feminine materials but of course there are some interesting garments.
                      [/quote]

Did you just say he's cheating? Please elaborate.

[/quote]

Don't want to put words in kavaj's mouth, but I'd say that all this drapey, swirly, flowing fabrics are not real garments, and no one will wear this in real life, and therefore the interesting look is achieved not by the garments themselves, but by a gimmicky use of fabrics. I kind of agree, if that's what he meant. I'll post a few pix to illustrate in a minute.

I think it's cool that the show was in the Romanian embassy [H]

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• deleuze
                        • Jul 2007

In a way though I think he was designing a more ethereal, almost transcendent collection. Very feminine concepts, breezy and buoyant. The photos don't really show it as much as the video set to Apparat and Sigur Rós. The Radiohead closer was a bit more heavy and maybe purgatorial to match the black clothing.

Comment

• laika
                          • Sep 2006

I agree with you, deleuze.

I don't know...to me kavaj's critique sounds a bit lazy, to be honest. [:^)] There is lots of floaty, flowing stuff, but it's not accidental or artless...just look at the way it moves.

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• lowrey
                            ventiundici
                            • Dec 2006

[quote user="Faust"]Don't want to put words in kavaj's mouth, but I'd say that all this drapey, swirly, flowing fabrics are not real garments, and no one will wear this in real life, and therefore the interesting look is achieved not by the garments themselves, but by a gimmicky use of fabrics. I kind of agree, if that's what he meant. I'll post a few pix to illustrate in a minute. [/quote]

I see what you mean though as the styling is pretty dominant and coversa lot, but I can still pick out some interesting pieces though, guess its just a matter of how you look at it [8-|]I like the shorts in the first look you posted, and the t-shirt looks good, seems like a similar one as the ones this spring which look very good on their own. the trousers in 2nd and 4thlooks seem cool, I like pants you can roll up like that.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Sure - I am not saying there is no clothes at all [86]. Just, as you noted, that the styling prevails and it distracts one from the clothes. Maybe if the show was shorter, it would've been better?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Jon
                                • Apr 2008

[quote user="Faust"]Sure - I am not saying there is no clothes at all [86]. Just, as you noted, that the styling prevails and it distracts one from the clothes. Maybe if the show was shorter, it would've been better?
                                [/quote]

Give me a couple one-liners to explain why I like it:

I'm tired of dressing up in the same old uniforms or garments my father/grandfather/nephew did. I'm rocking Doma with Raf and it feels so right.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎