• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fuuma
    • Sep 2006

Re: New Article on Ann Demeulemeester

[quote user="Faust"]

[quote user="Fuuma"]I think its important to keep in mind the audience when reading the article, it does cover a lot of ground we've already seen and the presentation is as long as the interview itself but it constitutes a self-contained introduction to Demeulemeester's work. I'd really like to see a follow-up concentrating on the fabric and creative process, as that's where it shone for someone, like me, who already knew about her work.
    [/quote]

Agreed. It's a fine line writing for a dilettante audience and trying to engage a more discerning public.

[/quote]

Definitely, you can see the author took great pains not to leave anyone behind so as to ensure a casual reader would get something out of it, something I only noticed on my second reading. I wonder if Haaretz is interested in making it a series of designers interviews using (and refining) a similar approach; that could create a body of work that would be relevant beyond the ephemeral nature of newspaper/dailies journalism.

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Fuuma
      • Sep 2006

Related: anyone knows about what is sold in Israël as it pertains to fashion? Is there an awereness and availabilitysimilar to what you find in western europe or big cities in the US?

Comment

• amit shoham
        • Nov 2006

(beware of alousy english post, sorry.)

as the editor of the piece, i must say first of all that it was brilliantly done by the writer, not only by israely standards but by journalistic standards per se.of course, as the sharp-eyed fuuma has noticed, it was written for a dilletant reader - 'Haaretz' isthe 3rddaily newspaper in israel, soit's appeal is quite broad and thus we can't allow ourselves towrite for thosewho are allready in the know, like most of you guys hereare. we have to start from the beginning, especially when wewrite about someone likeAD - which maybe 500 out of 7,000,000 israelis know who she is (and only 10-15 of them can pronounce her name right). her clothes- and this will answer your second question fuuma- are not sold in israel, except for one small boutique in the upper zone of Tel Aviv which sells asmall collection from her women stuff. that's it.the sameapplies for names like margiela andOwens and that league of designers - they r noway to be found here (and let's not mention Poell, C-diemand all that group). the biggest fashion nameshere are Prada, LV, Cavalli and all that crap. thegiant step we took towards agood taste in recent years waswith Lanvin, and that happenned only becuase AlberAlbaz is one of our own. alas, that doesn't meanone canget Lanvin here. we get only the women stuff, and a fraction of it.

Comment

• Avantster
          ¤¤¤
          • Sep 2006

Interesting, thanks, amit shoham. And your English is great.

Funnily enough, I could almost say the same about Sydney.

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Real Real
            • Feb 2007

Great post, Amit.

Comment

• kira
              • Mar 2008

Catching up on my reading and this is great. Thanks Faust [51]

Love this:

"I want to put a soul in a garment. I don't want my
              clothes to be perfect, because human beings are not perfect. You can meet
              somebody in one of my jackets and it can all look a bit wrong, but also human
              and beautiful. Cutting nonchalance into a garment is difficult, because
              you can't just make an oversized or an asymmetric garment ? it will look ugly.
              Making it look natural is delicate work. If it's too obvious, then it looks
              fake. Balancing the garment is a painstaking task, because you have to
              keep in mind how the clothes move."

Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

works well with that post of yours about movement and garments!
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="amit shoham"]

(beware of alousy english post, sorry.)

as the editor of the piece, i must say first of all that it was brilliantly done by the writer, not only by israely standards but by journalistic standards per se.of course, as the sharp-eyed fuuma has noticed, it was written for a dilletant reader - 'Haaretz' isthe 3rddaily newspaper in israel, soit's appeal is quite broad and thus we can't allow ourselves towrite for thosewho are allready in the know, like most of you guys hereare. we have to start from the beginning, especially when wewrite about someone likeAD - which maybe 500 out of 7,000,000 israelis know who she is (and only 10-15 of them can pronounce her name right). her clothes- and this will answer your second question fuuma- are not sold in israel, except for one small boutique in the upper zone of Tel Aviv which sells asmall collection from her women stuff. that's it.the sameapplies for names like margiela andOwens and that league of designers - they r noway to be found here (and let's not mention Poell, C-diemand all that group). the biggest fashion nameshere are Prada, LV, Cavalli and all that crap. thegiant step we took towards agood taste in recent years waswith Lanvin, and that happenned only becuase AlberAlbaz is one of our own. alas, that doesn't meanone canget Lanvin here. we get only the women stuff, and a fraction of it.

[/quote]

Thanks Amit, interesting info. I must say I'm surprised there isn't a bigger tailoring tradition in Israel, considering the number of European Jewish tailors who must have flocked there after WW2.

Comment

• amit shoham
                    • Nov 2006

i'm dissapointed at that,too(my grandfather was a tailor actually), albeit not suprised. the explanation, i think, is that israel, in its first decades, was a poor state, so there wasn't any place for quality orluxury of any kind. people didn't have money for food, let alone clothes. not till1967 and the six day war did he have a real leisureor youth culture.furthermore, the countrywasn't just poor, it was in a constant state of war, so all the effortwas driven to the war machine.this gave us a fucking great weapon industry, but took us away from any aspect oftaste. if u happen to be, say,an architect, you could really develop your skillsinthe newisrael- our bauhausbuildings in Tel Aviv are a worldly treasure. ifu were a tailor, on the other hand, you were doomes to focus on fixind oldsuits and work clothes. the tailoring tradition was kept alive mainly by mothers who remembered the glory daysfrom the old countries and managed to create elaborate dresses based on the patterns they foundin"Burda" magazine. eventually one of them gave birth to a fatty, shy kid named alber(t) elbaz.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

The article is now officially in Ann's press kit.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
                        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        The article is now officially in Ann's press kit.
                        Sweet!!!!!!!!
                        “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                        .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Fade to Black
                          • Sep 2008

i like the personal anecdote in the first paragraph of the article...the best is always when an artist's muses, inspirations, work, lifestyle and audience are all in sync in a unified direction/theme. There's a certain integrity she's kept that even someone I hold in very high esteem such as Yohji hasn't always kept a hand on, commercial purposes or what not aside - made me think of that Tim Blanks interview w/ Kanye recently where even the rapper turned "fashion plate" admitted "[Ann D] is outside my jurisdiction." Being able to build up that kind of distinct world of its own is an admirable trait to keep up for the long haul, creatively speaking. Difficult, which makes pulling it off all the more commendable.
                          www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

I agree, FtB. I am sure not all is pure there as well, but nothing ever is.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kofi3159
                              • Feb 2009

Great article.. Proud owner of many items from her.
                              Though DADA was just some silly name,,
                              But really got some info on dadaism..
                              Well hope she keeps working in fashion..

Comment

• BeauIXI
                                • Nov 2008

Haha, Ftb always coming through with the Kanye updates.
                                Originally posted by philip nod
                                somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎