X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • siman
    • Jun 2008

How do you guys afford this shit?

I've been lurking fashion forums for a while now and i'm amazed at the amount of money you guys spend on clothes. I started on styleforum was like damn $500 for a an outfit, then sufu was like 2-3 g's. But this place is a whole new level each fit is like 5 grand minimum. Do you all have 100k + jobs or what? I'm a student with a decent forty hour a week internship that pays $18 and hour and even with that salary and zero living expenses I could barely afford clothes at 50-60% off. I'm just curious on what you guys do to pay for all this. Do you all eat ramen everyday and coast by paying minimum payments on $40000 credit card bills?
  • clay
    • Sep 2006

Re: How do you guys afford this shit?

Slang'n dope son!!!!! ; ) Dude I can't afford this shit. A lot guys have careers and save or trade, look for sales ect to get what they want. You don't have to spend a million dollars to get some of this stuff. Just watch the topics and you'll see for yourself.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="siman"]I've been lurking fashion forums for a while now and i'm amazed at the amount of money you guys spend on clothes. I started on styleforum was like damn $500 for a an outfit, then sufu was like 2-3 g's. But this place is a whole new level each fit is like 5 grand minimum. Do you all have 100k + jobs or what? I'm a student with a decent forty hour a week internship that pays $18 and hour and even with that salary and zero living expenses I could barely afford clothes at 50-60% off. I'm just curious on what you guys do to pay for all this. Do you all eat ramen everyday and coast by paying minimum payments on $40000 credit card bills?
      [/quote]

hey, why don't you fuck off. if this is the first question you ask coming here, than you shouldn't be here. read the front fucking page - don't agree with it, get the fuck out. some people here are trust fund babies, some are single guys with nice jobs and no family expenses, some are savvy shoppers. case closed - stop asking the same fucking questions over and over again. i bought a carpe diem shirt yesterday for $70. can you afford that?

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theetruscan
        • Jan 2008

[quote user="Faust"]

hey, why don't you fuck off. if this is the first question you ask coming here, than you shouldn't be here. read the front fucking page - don't agree with it, get the fuck out. some people here are trust fund babies, some are single guys with nice jobs and no family expenses, some are savvy shoppers. case closed - stop asking the same fucking questions over and over again. i bought a carpe diem shirt yesterday for $70. can you afford that?

[/quote]

You shouldn't be allowed to win threads on your own forum!

Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• siman
          • Jun 2008

Chill dude i'm just curious i'm not attacking anyone.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Well, it's a pointless question, wouldn't you say? What answers do you exactly expect? Do you think people are going to start justifying their spending? Anyway, ask theetruscan - he's a poor student too! [83]
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• siman
              • Jun 2008

I'm not looking for a justification at all I don't see a problem with spending alot on something you really enjoy. I just wanted to know if they sacrificed quality in stuff like rent and food to pay for clothes. I really love the clothes on this site and wish I could afford more pieces. I just want to know that if i wanna look like a balla when i start working what my living conditions will be like.

Comment

[quote user="Faust"]Well, it's a pointless question, wouldn't you say? What answers do you exactly expect? Do you think people are going to start justifying their spending? Anyway, ask theetruscan - he's a poor student too! [83]
                [/quote]

cas let the truth out of the bag a while back, so it's no big deal -- we all slang rock; get on board.

also, we're all "fiends for mojitos".

Comment

• theetruscan
                  • Jan 2008

[quote user="Faust"]Anyway, ask theetruscan - he's a poor student too! [83]
                  [/quote]

I tend to find brands that fit my aesthetic for less than many of the brands cited here, and hunt for crazy deals. In the last 6 months, I've picked up 2 leather jackets at a minimum of 80% off, 4 pairs of shoes at a minimum 75% off, and so on and so forth. But other people are more resourceful. Chinorlz is the best example in my mind. But where moneys come from, or how much things cost isn't the focus of this forum (though M.A.+ pricing is motivated by the designer's desire to poke things with a stick, I just know it).

Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="theetruscan"]

[quote user="Faust"]Anyway, ask theetruscan - he's a poor student too! [83]
                    [/quote]

I tend to find brands that fit my aesthetic for less than many of the brands cited here, and hunt for crazy deals. In the last 6 months, I've picked up 2 leather jackets at a minimum of 80% off, 4 pairs of shoes at a minimum 75% off, and so on and so forth. But other people are more resourceful. Chinorlz is the best example in my mind. But where moneys come from, or how much things cost isn't the focus of this forum (though M.A.+ pricing is motivated by the designer's desire to poke things with a stick, I just know it).

[/quote]

repeat that 10 times. the choices you make are your own - you want to not eat and wear a nice leather jacket, the choice is yours. i doubt anyone on these boards does that.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Avantster
                      ¤¤¤
                      • Sep 2006

With increasing numbers of new members, maybe we need some more stickies in the forums or FAQ.
                      let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Nullsleep
                        • May 2008

I don't think this is the most ridiculous question someone could ask -- although it could have been approached more tactfully.

One of the most obvious ways to make it easier to "afford this shit" is to never pay full retail. Obviously there are exceptions, but in general I hold off from picking anything up until it hits 30% off, and more often than not I try to hold out for 50% off or more. I also buy expensive pieces secondhand as often as I can when they pop up in the classifieds or over at sufu.

In short, it's no different than any other expensive hobby -- just a matter of prioritizing and being smart about it.

Comment

• siman
                          • Jun 2008

Thank you null sleep for being the only person not looking at me as some troll. I am just starting to really get into clothes and it is a hobby that I want to continue as I get older and want to know what you guys do to obtain the beast gear. Your post was exactly the type of answer I was looking for.

Comment

• drexl
                            • Sep 2006

[quote user="siman"]Thank you null sleep for being the only person not looking at me as some troll. I am just starting to really get into clothes and it is a hobby that I want to continue as I get older and want to know what you guys do to obtain the beast gear. Your post was exactly the type of answer I was looking for.
                            [/quote]

Freudian slip?

Comment

• landwolf
                              Banned
                              • Apr 2008

i sleep in a hovel made from the packaging from all of my purchases, under a blanket of recipts and on a sheet of unpaid credit card statements

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎