X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

Re: How do you guys afford this shit?

savvy purchasing is the key for those that can't quite afford to throw down on everything at full retail. Sales sales sales are your friend, ebay, yahoo auctions, consignment stores, and SZ classifieds as well.

Save your money for those one or two full retail pieces that will either sell out before sales or are bound to get picked up quick. Those you must strike fast at... otherwise, just hold off and wait. Everything comes around again.

... well, except for that 01-03 CCP piece ;)

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• airboyair
      • Oct 2006

siman, it's not about the why and how but rather "why not" and "how to". it's like asking a gay person why does he like the same sex. you just don't. it's the essence of someone's being and it's part of their very nature. some people here are active posters, some are lurkers, some have genuinely fresh perspectives and some just follow, some got deep pockets and some don't, some only eat ramen and some have personal chefs - ok, maybe that's too far fetched but you get the point - we are diverse but we share something in common, we argue, we fight, we admire, we learn, we share.

it's a movement, it's shared passion.

i do understand where you are coming from as much as i am baffled with a few choices i see in the real world - say, why do people buy ridiculously priced items that i would not dare wear or use even i get paid twice their amount? but that's just how things are and if it makes you sleep better at night, then go for it. what you need to understand is not the "how to afford this shit" but what makes YOU truly happy because in the end, that's all that matters. and when i say YOU i am referring to not just a person but a person who is drawn to a collective and evolving consciousness.

when i was younger, i wanted this and that label, because i wanted to belong, to identify myself in a group i thought was cool, then i evolved into someone who would dress up for myself, acquire in a calculated manner and make choices that are done consciously with the knowledge that it does not ever stop, it is a process, a journey and euphoric curse that is bigger than buying something at 70% off or finding a $20 carpe diem lab coat in a consignment store or returning something bought on impulse or reselling a holy grail on ebay. it is much, much, much bigger than all of that. it is simply, the way.

now, why am i here? it's to feed a desire. why are you here is something for you to answer. and once you have an answer, i just wish for one thing - i hope you are not wearing something you are not.

Helmut went to the ocean to gather his thoughts. Inspiration comes from retreat.

Comment

• Avantster
        ¤¤¤
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="siman"]Thank you null sleep for being the only person not looking at me as some troll. I am just starting to really get into clothes and it is a hobby that I want to continue as I get older and want to know what you guys do to obtain the beast gear. Your post was exactly the type of answer I was looking for.
        [/quote]

If this is true then educating yourself is your best bet rather than worrying about shopping. Read as much as you can. There are some gems in here if you use the search key. Check out the runway shows. Keep reading. Once you've found what you like and what is you, then you can be a smart shopper.

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Avantster
          ¤¤¤
          • Sep 2006

That isn't true - being your first post and more importantly given the title of this thread it was entirely possible for this to be a trolling post.

But anyway, use this thread to introduce yourself.

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Piffen
            • Aug 2007

[quote user="merz"]

there are people who buy crack cocaine and, by the same token, people who purchase luxury, niche apparel with a similar level of enthusiasm.

the only real difference, of course, is that crack goes up in smoke.

[/quote]

Grilled sweater?

Comment

• theaddict
              • Apr 2008

[quote user="merz"]

there are people who buy crack cocaine and, by the same token, people who purchase luxury, niche apparel with a similar level of enthusiasm.

the only real difference, of course, is that crack goes up in smoke.

[/quote]

but both make you feel good, at least for a short time...and the more you consume, the more you want and the periods of relief are getting shorter and shorter...till you turn into theaddict...[87]

Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

• bestial
                • Jun 2008

I'm also student, share an apartment with Mrs. bestial so we'll get away cheaper with food, rent and that sort of stuff. Cause of school I can't work more than on some of the breaks, but it's going down to priorities. If I can have an R.O. tank or a nice cardi from DD then there is something else I can't have... like. ... uhrm. Well, I got my savings, hah.

But I stopped with tobacco, don't buy as much junkfood as many of my friends, don't go out partying all the time as many of the students here does.

If you got a job that pays you 18k (a year that would be?) I'm a little confused that you can't afford clothes if that is your desire, especially if you don't have any living-spences?

Comment

• lowrey
                  ventiundici
                  • Dec 2006

I do agree that its kind of a ridicilous question. how do you afford something? by having money, which is most of the time gotten by working. I cant say for sure if we have any professional thieves here, but I think its a fair and obvious guess thatmost people work jobs which provide for their lives and spending habits. you could ask what kind of jobs do people have then, but I think it has been asked and also that didn't really seem like the intention of the question here. perhaps this explains the negative response?

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Davie
                    • Nov 2007

I also agree that it is a ridiculous question, but there was no need for that type of response from Faust, even though its something I'm sure he or anyone of us would not say in real life. There's nothing personal, its just the internet.

But back to the point, I think everyone nailed it. I'm a college student and cant afford most of these stuff, but I checked the forum often because I love and enjoy its aesthetics. I save up some $ and buy some of my holy grail pieces here and there. For ex, Ive loved CDiem boots since its 1st day, but was never able to afford it. Until last yr when Barney's had them on sale for $300+, stuff like that...Eventually, I have built up a decent and modest wardrobe that fits my style and aesthetic without blowing a lot of $$$. It's all about patience.

Welcome to the forum!

Comment

• voltaire's anti-defamation league
                      • Aug 2007

i think it's a fine question...spending 2 k on boots implies some degree of wealth mostly because most people don't need to spend that much on their footwear or aren't even aware that it's a possibility...but realistically its not that much. you probably know tons of kids who own their own civics and don't give a shit cause it's like big fucking deal its a stupid dumb civic even though it cost way fucking more than 2k. expensive/luxury clothes r generally pretty attainable compared to most high-end shit or just lots of other stuff. which is why they're cool: everyone can get involved. second, its like investment real-estate...if $$ is an issue or even if it isnt when ever u buy anything: real-estate, a car, clothes you should look at is an investment and spend your $$ wisely on stuff that you know has a high re-sale value. ex. its smarter to buy a 1k ann jacket that u love 50 percent off @ 500$ wear it for a season or two and sell it for 400$ cause it only ended up costing u 100$ which is less than ud pay for some shitty jacket from like club monaco or the gap that basically has no re-sale value at all and that u dont really care about to begin with. sometimes u can even break even or if you're chris turn a decent profit ;)

Comment

• Nathaniel Costillo
                        • May 2008

dynamo its because of the way he addressed the question was rude and ridiculous, he could have said the question in

a more intelligent polite way

Comment

• unknown
                          • Jun 2008

i afford clothes by the money i own and from the money my parents give me monthly..

but its not enough to get involved in ccp and so.. i guess its about 900usd a month... and this is not even enough for a pair of ccp jeans or so.. so i stick with buying in sale or on classified or so..

Comment

• bestial
                            • Jun 2008

[quote user="unknown"]

i afford clothes by the money i own and from the money my parents give me monthly..

but its not enough to get involved in ccp and so.. i guess its about 900usd a month... and this is not even enough for a pair of ccp jeans or so.. so i stick with buying in sale or on classified or so..

[/quote]

Do you get $900 a month from your parents, can I be adopted?[73]

Comment

• ahlefeldt
                              • May 2008

I can understand why you are curious, but if you look at the market people sell a lot of old stuff to purchase some new and it's not like everyone buy new pieces every week. For example I'm saving up money for the sale and such. Doesn't take a millionaire to wear this kind of clothing.

Comment

• Joe
                                • Jun 2007

Well im a student, but I just work alot and reward myself with the items I want,even thoughI suck at saving money (exept for the 2 last months up to a sale [73]). I spend loads of money on clothescompared to my friends, but I dont have my own car, orsome crazy expensiveB&O soundsystemand so on.

What you spend your money on, changes alot I think...like now I tend to think more about spending some more money on taking my girlfriend out for a nice dinner rather than that margiela sweater I had been wanting for a while, while people with kids may think in a similar way, maybe buying them some toys and making sure they have new clothes etc. Never though of the people here as bigspenders but rather as people that likes clothes, and spend money on their "hobby" - never bothered to think about what people do or how much money they got, like I dont expect that question or thoughts either if I where posting some purchase.

Think alot about what you spend your money on, especially the little things, like maybe bring your own cheap lunch to school or work instead of ordering, or maybe stay home one weekend instead of going to the club - here is the "I have to work both saturday and sunday, so im afraid I cant come" perfect you both save + make some money andyou hurt no feelings, people tend to understand that work is important[66]

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎