Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cremaster
    • Jan 2010

While I admit I am a total novice when it comes to computers I was given an ipad2 as a gift. Being very grateful (it is the first home computer I have owned) I find it very frustrating.
    One of my beefs is the lockout of sites with adobe flash.
    What is going on with that?
    Are apple trying to force everyone into using their systems?

Another is I dropped it not long after I received it so I email apple and I have to book in an appointment a week later on the other side of town during work hours to decide what they will do. What type of customer service is that!
    Very frustrating.

Just having a vent.....

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Jobs hated flash. Can't blame the guy too much - flash used to be terrible. But it has evolved since and so should Apple. I guess it's one of those things where his ego went overboard.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theetruscan
        • Jan 2008

It's a combination of ego, optimisation, and ignoring the present for the future.

Jobs hated flash, but flash also doesn't play very well on a tablet (run it on an android phone/tablet, and you see some of the problems). Also, Flash is almost certainly going to fall to HTML5 eventually.

The issue is that eventually is years away. Tablets don't last for years and years, so this "flash won't matter later" argument is complete crap.
        Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• luke
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
          Jobs hated flash, but flash also doesn't play very well on a tablet (run it on an android phone/tablet, and you see some of the problems). Also, Flash is almost certainly going to fall to HTML5 eventually.
          Flash has already fallen to HTML. Out of all of the new sites I've seen in the past year, almost none have been Flash. I've even had a bunch of freelance projects converting older Flash websites into HTML specifically for tablets and SEO purposes.

Flash is really good for somethings, but having it as your entire website is a terrible idea. It's not that Flash won't matter, it's that Flash should enhance your site instead of completely rely on it. Even if you think tablets won't be around for ages, the idea is still that developers / designers should build as future-proof products as possible, as opposed to relying entirely on third-party software being installed.

Flash is still going to "be around" for a while because it has some advantages and features (timeline being the most important) that aren't in web browsers yet. However, people are already working on getting this stuff into browsers, so I'd only give Flash a few more years before it's market becomes more niche than it is already.

Comment

• eat me
            • May 2009

Originally posted by cremaster View Post
            While I admit I am a total novice when it comes to computers I was given an ipad2 as a gift. Being very grateful (it is the first home computer I have owned) I find it very frustrating.
            One of my beefs is the lockout of sites with adobe flash.
            What is going on with that?

Are apple trying to force everyone into using their systems?

Another is I dropped it not long after I received it so I email apple and I have to book in an appointment a week later on the other side of town during work hours to decide what they will do. What type of customer service is that!
            Very frustrating.

Just having a vent.....
            Flash is a CPU hog and a battery drain. It has no place on a mobile device.

At least they will going to see you. To be honest, you dropping it has nothing to do with the company and doesn't require them to do anything. And the majority of other companies would just shrug their shoulders at your request and move on.

Comment

• swrecked
              • Sep 2011

Adobe's recent announcement to stop developing flash for mobile devices is a big change in their direction. Flash was a great tool for pushing beyond browser limits in the past. With the universale adoption of html5, Adobe is being forced to rethink its business model.

I've never really been a fan of Flash so I'll be happy to see it go away.

Comment

• thehouseofdis
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by DRRRK View Post
                Praise the Lord!
                Just thought I'd update DRRRK's photo with the new and much more minimal glass cube at Apple. They went from 90 panels to 15. These are huge sheets of glass!

THE HOUSE OF DIS
                embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• theetruscan
                  • Jan 2008

Originally posted by luke View Post
                  Flash has already fallen to HTML. Out of all of the new sites I've seen in the past year, almost none have been Flash. I've even had a bunch of freelance projects converting older Flash websites into HTML specifically for tablets and SEO purposes.

Flash is really good for somethings, but having it as your entire website is a terrible idea. It's not that Flash won't matter, it's that Flash should enhance your site instead of completely rely on it. Even if you think tablets won't be around for ages, the idea is still that developers / designers should build as future-proof products as possible, as opposed to relying entirely on third-party software being installed.

Flash is still going to "be around" for a while because it has some advantages and features (timeline being the most important) that aren't in web browsers yet. However, people are already working on getting this stuff into browsers, so I'd only give Flash a few more years before it's market becomes more niche than it is already.
                  The thing is, an iPad has a lifespan of maybe 18 months, 24 at the outside. I use it now. I don't like flash, but some websites are flash, and apple's absurd catfight with Adobe means that I need to carry other devices when I travel. It's part of why I switched to an Android phone. Sometimes I need to see website X, not as it will be in 5 years, but before I book dinner. Apple's massive cockup makes that impossible.

Flash is shit, sure, but so is most of the rest of the internet.
                  Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎