Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • H-R
    • May 2007

Yea, what's the point of having a "laptop" that can't run more than one app at a time? Maybe once they incorporate a better operating system to get it to run multiple apps, I might change my opinion...

Comment

• fenrost
      Banned
      • Mar 2009

guys.

this is an ebook reader, comparing it with mobile phones or notebook.. this does not make sense.

will do well or not, we will see the next 5 years.

look at ipods/itunes, defying skeptics despite all the p2p and cheaper mp3 players out there.

ebook reader as a necessity? well, the academics are already turning their books into this tool. but of course, this does not assure ipad as a success, or failure as of yet.

Comment

• whitney
        • Dec 2009

off topic a bit but i think ereaders would be awesome academically especially at the college/university level.

i think that ipad could have potential later on, after several releases, and hopefully change in the design..dare i say name as well?
        you stole my signature :insert mad face:

Comment

• BeauIXI
          • Nov 2008

When Android drops hard, Apple will have to make deals with Adobe to get Flash, and more than likely, something akin to Photoshop and Illustrator on the iPhone and iPad. They will also have to have simultaneous apps in the new OS update, since this will be a big deal for many people once a competitor comes out with said feature.

This is not intended to be a laptop or a laptop substitute, it is more of a large iPhone/iPod than anything else- the iPhone (and other smartphones) has created a market for a quick communication and media-viewing tool. If you want a real Mac, get a Mac Pro or an iMac, if you need a laptop, get a Macbook. If you don't need either of these, or already have these, the iPad is more of a compliment to your existing setup than anything else, in my opinion..

So quit hatin'!

Also, please note that the need for USB is negated by the fact that the iPad comes with Bluetooth. Why plug in a keyboard when you can use the wireless keyboard instead? Or a shared, wireless printer, etc. Maybe you might ask about interfacing with an SLR camera, or the like. Again, it's probably better to stick with a real computer, rather than a casual device like this.

If you want a touch screen Mac, then get an Intuos touch monitor, for chrissakes, or buy an after market, modded Macbook, but I assure you that a touch screen with a typical OS is not the best route to take, and that the OS included on the iPad, though regulated, will be insanely attuned to the user.
          Originally posted by philip nod
          somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• fenrost
            Banned
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by whitney View Post
            off topic a bit but i think ereaders would be awesome academically especially at the college/university level.

i think that ipad could have potential later on, after several releases, and hopefully change in the design..dare i say name as well?
            especially at research level.. where most of the thesis are now far more accessible in ebook formats than to the papers.

Comment

• DRRRK
              • Aug 2009

I don't know if anybody still knows: there are other manufacturers of notebooks and mobile phones. Apple wants to take over the whole market and it looks like they could succeed. Is Apple a secret religion or what? I don't get it.

Comment

• whitney
                • Dec 2009

apple is user friendly (excuse the overkill) and they were smart enough to incorporate fashion into their designs early on. they're good at marketing

i'll admit, when I buy apple it's because it's eye candy for me. I got the iMac g4 20" after my pc crashed three times with the blue screen of death

that was a demo model at the store and I got it for 1k, and besides being outdated in hardware and OS it still works perfectly after six years. not even a hiccup. i love that shell to death.
                you stole my signature :insert mad face:

Comment

• Ivans On High
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by fenrost View Post
                  guys.

this is an ebook reader, comparing it with mobile phones or notebook.. this does not make sense.
                  I don't understand how it is going to compete as an e-reader with its standard display. The Kindle and other e-readers have a form of electronic ink which is exceptionally good (I have used the Kindle extensively), and without this feature I don't think the iPad can get close.

Though, I do think it will be sweet for 2-player touch air-hockey.

Comment

• fenrost
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Ivans On High View Post
                    I don't understand how it is going to compete as an e-reader with its standard display. The Kindle and other e-readers have a form of electronic ink which is exceptionally good (I have used the Kindle extensively), and without this feature I don't think the iPad can get close.

Though, I do think it will be sweet for 2-player touch air-hockey.
                    mind to eloborate?

if we are talking about display then;
                    eletronic ink display are too inferior if were to compare with LCD screens. in terms of speed and resolution.

the only good thing about ink display is they are more energy preserving?

Comment

• Ivans On High
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2008

Yes, well this is true. If you don't want just an e-reader the iPad (with or without wings) is an OK idea, but as someone said its like a laptop without any balls, so why not sit your 13" netbook on your lap and read whilst having the option to multi-task?

The electronic ink elliviates eye strain almost completely as there is no back-light or refreshing issues. So as far as e-readers go, I don't think the iPad is going to be turning too many heads.

Comment

• fenrost
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Ivans On High View Post
                        Yes, well this is true. If you don't want just an e-reader the iPad (with or without wings) is an OK idea, but as someone said its like a laptop without any balls, so why not sit your 13" netbook on your lap and read whilst having the option to multi-task?

The electronic ink elliviates eye strain almost completely as there is no back-light or refreshing issues. So as far as e-readers go, I don't think the iPad is going to be turning too many heads.
                        you have to look at the scenario of ebook reader vs notebooks. it's not all the time one can sit and flip their notebooks to do reading.

and true, that eletronic ink display are more pleasant to read, but so far, in most circumstances, lcd display aren't that horrible either, just look at all the adaption of lcd screen in mobile phones.
                        Last edited by fenrost; 01-28-2010, 05:42 PM.

Comment

• stereophobic
                          • Aug 2009

if anything the greatest possible use for the iPad would be being able to read .cbr/.cbz comicbook files in glorious full color. that or the latest chapters of your favorite manga. but text? hell no.
                          An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit.

Comment

i'd like to use it as a midi controller for live electronic music.

Comment

• fenrost
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by stereophobic View Post
                              http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/c...me-the-display

if anything the greatest possible use for the iPad would be being able to read .cbr/.cbz comicbook files in glorious full color. that or the latest chapters of your favorite manga. but text? hell no.

i am out of date with the comic world, are marvel/dc releasing their comics in digital form? if do, fucking stocked. i use to spend thousand of dollars collecting marvel comics back then.. i wonder if they have value now?

Comment

• stereophobic
                                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by fenrost View Post
                                i am out of date with the comic world, are marvel/dc releasing their comics in digital form? if do, fucking stocked. i use to spend thousand of dollars collecting marvel comics back then.. i wonder if they have value now?
                                Don't think either comic book publisher does, however the electronic reader thing (for mainly illegally downloaded comics mind you) was something Warren Ellis did mention when it came to the iPad.

Comicbooks -> http://www.comicspriceguide.com/
                                An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎