Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BeauIXI
    • Nov 2008

Plus, apps like NLog Synthesizer, the fully developed digital synth, or Beatmaker, the fully integrated music production studio, would be even easier to use, not to mention things like watching movies on it (d'uh) instead of your Macbook or iPhone. It's not a replacement for anything, and it certainly isn't an eBook, it's more of an intermediary device between smartphone and full-on computer. To compare it to either is unfair and unfounded.
    Originally posted by philip nod
    somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by whitney View Post
      i'll admit, when I buy apple it's because it's eye candy for me. I got the iMac g4 20" after my pc crashed three times with the blue screen of death

that was a demo model at the store and I got it for 1k, and besides being outdated in hardware and OS it still works perfectly after six years. not even a hiccup. i love that shell to death.
      The lamp iMac? That's my favourite computer. If I didn't need a laptop, that's what I'd be using.

oh, and sooner or later I think PixelQI-style displays will be the standard on readers and such... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7ZErQ5Kl6w
      Originally posted by jogu
      i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• thehouseofdis
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Heirloom View Post
        i'd like to use it as a midi controller for live electronic music.

I hope some makes an app for the iPad similar to JazzMutant's Lemur.
        THE HOUSE OF DIS
        embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• whitney
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by ProfMonnitoff View Post
          The lamp iMac? That's my favourite computer. If I didn't need a laptop, that's what I'd be using.
          yup! the movable flat screen dome. lamp sounds better lol. but that's my baby. I still use it to browse the web and write, but I had to get a new computer with an updated os, so I got the macbook. I wish there was a way for me to upgrade the g4 so it would run like the new imacs.. the screen resolution doesn't bother me but the outdated os does.

I'm really picky when it comes to design of things. in my head I always think I'd change this or that if I were to make it..but there isn't a thing about that particular model i'd change
          you stole my signature :insert mad face:

Comment

• BeauIXI
            • Nov 2008

^ Say no more!

Shown running windows, but has an intel chip, so runs Intel native Mac OS, as well.

See also http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=224698

Comment

• endersgame
              • Aug 2009

i want them to bring back the newton.

Comment

• whitney
                • Dec 2009

Originally posted by BeauIXI View Post
                ^ Say no more!

Shown running windows, but has an intel chip, so runs Intel native Mac OS, as well.

See also http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=224698
                i thought about that before i brought my macbook! taking a mac mini and (not installing it in the dome, i wasn't that smart) installing it as an external hard drive but that was too much clutter

thanks for the thread link
                you stole my signature :insert mad face:

Comment

• mona13
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by whitney View Post
                  i am stubborn and still prefer to read paper books.

but i can see your point.
                  Completely agree. There's something about sitting down with a good book.
                  I do agree the iPad could be useful for academic purposes, though.

Comment

• mw000
                    • Jan 2009

It would be great for visual presentations with clients but if you owned an iphone and macbook pro I don't really see a point to this. Maybe if the price dropped to $350 it would be one of those just for the hell of it purchases.

I think it would have been a much better unit if it had Flash capability and a USB slot / memory slot

Comment

• pierce
                      Banned
                      • Aug 2009

Agree on the Lemur, the iPad is going to allow for some very interesting audio applications.

Imagine something like the iNudge ( http://inudge.net/ ) style sequencer with the ability to load your own samples, synthesizer, record audio....
                      Looking forward to finally ditching the mouse when making music.

Comment

• YoungM
                        • Nov 2008

Meh, just don't know what this is supposed to do. There are many similar products, including ones that actually run a PC OS, not one stolen from a phone. Not only that, but I'm not terribly impressed by the iPhone's OS, short of it's ability to combine phone and music player. Beyond that, I'll take my palm pre anyday. Much less annoying to operate than the gf's iPhone.

Comment

• Spencer
                          • Feb 2007

I love my iMac, I love my iPhone, but can we please stop with all the iStuff, Steve?

The Pad looks like it will be a product I'll fondle lovingly at various Apple stores in my area, but I'll likely wait for a revision or two until it's the product we (me) hoped for from the beginning.

Comment

• BeauIXI
                            • Nov 2008

iCar 2011, coming to a garage near you.

Comment

• Servo2000
                              • Oct 2006

I've been thinking about the iPad quite a lot because in the beginning it had me so perplexed but I understood that Apple have two things: millions of dollars to put in market research and testing and probably some of the best designers and thinkers in the industry. So why?

I think a lot of the complaints about the iPad approach it as a 'technology' object which is how a lot of companies construct their products. "You want this because it has x, y, and z technology" as profmon was framing it, for instance. I think really what Apple did was approach mobile computing as a whole applying the design mindset they used on early apple operating systems which really came from understanding that designing technology shouldn't be that different from, as beau said above jokingly, a car. Just because you can add two or three more cupholders if the market doesn't demand it* and the car isn't fundamentally improved there's no need. Not even if 5 cupholders is the new standard.

*the other issue is that if you're the sort of person who reads tech blogs and writes posts about what the iPad is missing then already you're not the target market anyway
                              WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• pierce
                                Banned
                                • Aug 2009

Yes servo2000, thats pretty much it.

The key to understanding Apple products is to understand some of the new design processes that have been proposed in the last few years.
                                I can go into it in detail, but it may bore people :)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎