X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Real Real
    • Feb 2007

Re: Designers/Brands You Want to Love but Can't

YSL. I like how it looks, but up close, the quality is nothing special, the fabrics are underwhelming, and a lot of the clothing is festooned with unnecessary little details.

Comment

• Babar
      • Jan 2007

I think I'd have to go with Costume National. I like the general styling and they've certainly put out some great stuff over the years, but there's just too often something off about the execution of their pieces. Either the fabric is just plain wrong (some of their techno fabrics especially just plain suck), or the color, or some detail that just ruins the piece. The fit too, can be really unpredictable. I picked up some awesome looking boots a few years back, but of course, it turned out to have tons of quality issues. But still, I have a fair amount of (picked over?) CN pieces in my wardrobe, thanks to the Yoox sample sales.

Comment

• theetruscan
        • Jan 2008

Rick Owens, Ann Demeulemeester. Both brands are so heavily purchased and loved by people on this board whose looks I otherwise love that I feel I must be missing something, but every time I go to look in person, they seem completely uninspired to me. I've looked at both for a few years now (in passing) and wondered why the Archive, or Barney's or wherever I was, would bother carrying them. Since seeing so many well dressed people in WAYWT in love with them I feel like I must be missing something, but I can't figure out what it is. I'm not just talking about lego spaceman atrocities like the trainers, but the brands in general. I dunno, they seem repetitive and kind of bland. Like Neil Barrett noir.
        Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Real Real
          • Feb 2007

[quote user="theetruscan"]Rick Owens, Ann Demeulemeester. Both brands are so heavily purchased and loved by people on this board whose looks I otherwise love that I feel I must be missing something, but every time I go to look in person, they seem completely uninspired to me. I've looked at both for a few years now (in passing) and wondered why the Archive, or Barney's or wherever I was, would bother carrying them. Since seeing so many well dressed people in WAYWT in love with them I feel like I must be missing something, but I can't figure out what it is. I'm not just talking about lego spaceman atrocities like the trainers, but the brands in general. I dunno, they seem repetitive and kind of bland. Like Neil Barrett noir.
          [/quote]

Oh no you didn't.

Comment

• Jon
            • Apr 2008

[quote user="theetruscan"]Rick Owens, Ann Demeulemeester....
            [/quote]

The Rick Owens reference I get. Not that I agree. At all. I'd use 'consistent' where you used 'repetitive', but that's simply a matter of taste. His work feels like a slow evolution. The man understands his niche and he executes.

Referring to Ann as 'repetitive and bland' is a shock, though. Although, I think that depends how long you've followed her work. Mr. Faust gonna set you straight! [66]

A lot of people come into the store expecting to walk out with Rick Owens, but it often happens that something as simple as a basic sheer t-shirt just doesn't work for some people. I find that in those cases it's the silhouette that is a bit extreme at times. Super-long body +slim arms + dropped crotch + fucking giant sneaker feet.

Originally posted by merz
            perhaps one day pipcleo will post a wywt so non-euclydian & eldrich in its shapes as to turn all onlookers into throngs of dishevelled, muttering idiots

Comment

• justine
              • Jan 2007

[quote user="theetruscan"]Rick Owens, Ann Demeulemeester. Both brands are so heavily purchased and loved by people on this board whose looks I otherwise love that I feel I must be missing something, but every time I go to look in person, they seem completely uninspired to me.[/quote]Nothing wrong with that, but for those 2 brands you really have to try it on. So many time, something sits on a hanger and it's like 'what's this crap?' ; then you put it on and 'woaaaaah'...but then again maybe you tried it on and didn't care.

Comment

• justine
                • Jan 2007

dbl pst srry

Comment

• theetruscan
                  • Jan 2008

[quote user="Jon"]

Referring to Ann as 'repetitive and bland' is a shock, though. Although, I think that depends how long you've followed her work. Mr. Faust gonna set you straight! [66]

[/quote]

May have been unfair of me, somehow I tend to think of them as something of a unit. My comments definitely have more to do with R.O. than Ann.

I readily admit having hated Ann Demeulemeester ever since her fashion mullet runway show in like 1998/1999, something like that.

Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• snafu
                    • Apr 2008

really like ann but always scared to buy pieces cause they're so big without a doubt i need xxs, but rick's stuff seems great but plan to buy big into both over this winter

Comment

• Jorge Hache
                      • Sep 2006

I'll go with Haute, when i saw the runway pictures there's a ton of pieces that i want (it suits very much my aesthetic) but at the time of fitting, always something is wrong, bad sizing, strange cuts, don´t like the fabrics, etc...

Also with Augusta, nice shoes butalways there's a thing that i don't like (apart from the pricing), the copy designs, the shape of the shoes, the finish of the leathers, etc.. for that price and particular designs i'll go 100% with Poell

Ahhh almost forgot, Lanvin, sometimes very sleek, sometimes preppy, sometimes plain.

Comment

• deleuze
                        • Jul 2007

I've always found Ann D. and Rick Owens anitpodal. Ann is a romantic in the literary sense evoking poets like Byron andKeatswhereas Rick is over romance; his glam-grunge ismorereminiscent of Baudelaire and Flaubert. As I get older I find myself identifing more with Rick's aesthetic than Ann's.

Comment

• laika
                          • Sep 2006

i guess everybody knows mine already. [79]
                          ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

[quote user="deleuze"]

I've always found Ann D. and Rick Owens anitpodal. Ann is a romantic in the literary sense evoking poets like Byron andKeatswhereas Rick is over romance; his glam-grunge ismorereminiscent of Baudelaire and Flaubert. As I get older I find myself identifing more with Rick's aesthetic than Ann's.

[/quote]

Funny you should say this - Ann adores Baudelaire (and that bitch Rimabud, as Voltaire once so eloquently described him). Rick and Flabert though? Hmm...

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]i guess everybody knows mine already. [79]
                              [/quote]

no. do tell.[B]

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                                • Sep 2006

^reeeeq oveen, obviously, darling. [86]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎