X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 13we2
    • Sep 2015

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
    Looks to me like the guy is just making t-shirts and the bag and coat seen in a couple of photos is actually CCP (or very "high-end" fake)...?
    Yeah the bag and coat or the drips he wears are all real stuff. They did make CCP copycat parkas, shirt, trousers at times and very FOG/Yeezy stuff (both counterfeit and "inspired" kind) at the same time.

Comment

• beyondthemeans
      • Sep 2008

Come on now... (D.Gnak SS18)

Comment

• Nomadic Planet
        • Dec 2012

^ I don't know if this is a symptom of a global lack of creativity atm in the fashion industry , or just an acknowledgment of the huge influence Rick has reached today in terms of aesthetics... or maybe a little bit of both... ?

on the topic of the lack of creativity , food for though found on the recently SZ article posted about Volga Volga and the "fashion is dead line" from Kawabuko. Quoted from the article:
        "He remembered that during one of their conversations Kawakubo literally told him that fashion is dead. “To me it meant that it has become nearly impossible to come up with a new silhouette, and that the future of fashion lay in materials,” Panteleev told me. On the one hand you can see this in Kawakubo’s own recent catwalk efforts that result in absurdist silhouettes, the effort she calls “not making clothing,” and on the other hand you can see this in the streetwear takeover of fashion, with its uniform of hoodies and sweatpants that need no design acumen."

sign of our times?

Comment

• Nickefuge
          • Nov 2014

Hasn’t D.Gnak always been a "me-too" label?
          "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
          -Paris Hilton

Comment

• 13we2
            • Sep 2015

^ Like stating music/pop music is dead also because musical notes' combinations are finite in number?

Comment

• Nickefuge
              • Nov 2014

Originally posted by 13we2 View Post
              ^ Like stating music/pop music is dead also because musical notes' combinations are finite in number?
              I want a hit of what you smoked.
              "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
              -Paris Hilton

Comment

• swims
                • Jan 2012

i agree with 13we2

newness in terms of silhouette is only superficially about designing a shape that has never been seen before.

newness involves the design's relationship with context, setting and references [amongst other things].

the function of this leads to 'new'. yes it goes in cycles, and lots of the time is re-invention of the wheel. but isn't that what fashion generally is?

the exact same garment takes on multiple meanings in this sense [e.g camouflage in military uniform, anti-military protest, or street fashion].

Comment

• byhand
                  • Dec 2011

Fashion to a large extent is styling. Silhouettes may be exhausted (at least practical silhouettes that people will actually wear), but successful fashion has relied on styling. We see this constantly now with online retail. Clothing can lack potency and even be a bore when retailers throw clothing on models to get photos online, but get that same clothing into the hands of a person who has the knack for putting items together to make an outfit that has some juice and the results can be magic. Too many retailers kill fashion.

Looking at a designer's advertising shots or lookbook and then comparing those photos to a retailer's online photos can be confusing. A lot of designers have a kind of poetry of combining items that gets lost when those same items get reduced to being a commodity on a retail website. Fashion isn't dead; it's just more nuanced and subtle. It's all about materials and combining and craftsmanship while being maybe less silhouette focused.
                  Last edited by byhand; 06-14-2017, 11:09 AM.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by 13we2 View Post
                    Yes and No. I could say that Madonna was the blueprint for virtually all blockbuster female pop stars today (maybe with a rare exception like Lorde), and none of them can touch her because she was the trailblazer. So were the New Kids on the Block for every boy band since. And yet new music is being made. It's just unoriginal. And it's not the artists fault entirely - part of the postmodernist malaise is that you are simply late to the game and so much has been done by someone else. That does not diminish one's desire for doing something creative. It's just that much harder to do something genuinely new.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Erich Fromm
                      • May 2017

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      Yes and No. I could say that Madonna was the blueprint for virtually all blockbuster female pop stars today (maybe with a rare exception like Lorde), and none of them can touch her because she was the trailblazer. So were the New Kids on the Block for every boy band since. And yet new music is being made. It's just unoriginal. And it's not the artists fault entirely - part of the postmodernist malaise is that you are simply late to the game and so much has been done by someone else. That does not diminish one's desire for doing something creative. It's just that much harder to do something genuinely new.
                      That is a huge problem in the art world. To become a truly important artist you do not only have to create something new, but something that is new AND good. So many contemporary artists try to portray zeitgeist and don't realize that portraying zeitgeist can not be timeless. The term "good" has really morphed into the term "marketable".

Comment

• 13we2
                        • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        Exactly. The analogy isn't a rhetorical question and people just have to live with the yes and no attitude on this - lots of other similar examples like movies are about to die too because every good tale has been told, etc. The phenomenon became even more prominent due to the Internet and traditional media's exponential boom in the past 20 years and the overwhelming rise of mass pop culture paradigm. More people than ever are jumping into creative industires and they are literally trying out every possible musical note combination. But right I wouldn't say some arts are dead or no new shapes are ever poosible any more for that manner, but I do always wonder how it'll look or how people would view our times - the millions of music videos on YouTube for example, after 100, 200 years or so...

Comment

• unwashed
                          • Dec 2008

Crazy! I wonder how many of these will sell
                          Grailed link

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by unwashed View Post
                            Crazy! I wonder how many of these will sell
                            "Last one available" Better hurry up!
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• TheInformalGenius
                              • Oct 2015

New Yeezy Shoe $300. Physical evidence that this brand is a social expiriment.

Comment

• mamooon
                                • Jun 2015

Maybe i am a bit too narrow-minded and even i really appreciate and like his work, a (printed) roll of Raf Simons-duct tape for 177 EUR feels too weird even it seems to be a belt-'replacement' (pretty sticky one, i'll guess?):

Wrong Weather is a leading online store and concept store for Men. Shop the latest curated Designer Brands.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎