X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sombre
    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by TheInformalGenius View Post
    I feel like this is the conclusion of the joke that Balmain started, SLP continued, and Vetements took to ludicrous heights.

EDIT: I want to expand on this because it's been bothering me for a little while now. Maybe I'm just becoming a grumpy curmudgeon as I edge toward 30. But this is literally the price we pay as a consuming culture for not being discerning and not holding what should be the pinnacle of the industry to high enough standards.

Balmain sends overly designed and kitschy military inspired clothes down the runway that have been done to death, slaps a four figure price tag on some jeans, and the public and the vapid magazines eat it up. Hedi does uninspired rehashes of 10 year old designs from his Dior Homme days, slaps an even bigger price tag on his clothes, and he's lauded for it and SLP's revenues skyrocket. People use the term "SLP aesthetic" as if he created skinny jeans and chelsea boots. Vetements sells memes for hundreds of dollars and people wax lyrical about how clever and tongue-in-cheek it is. It's become an arms race of the emperor's new clothes.

Maybe $2,000 jeans and $5,000 parkas that look like shit are what we deserve for being such stupid consumers. Ssense bought a lot of that garbage so they're clearly confident in selling it.
    Last edited by Sombre; 10-04-2017, 08:11 PM.
    An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
    I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• haydn
      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by TheInformalGenius View Post
      Oh, to be a buyer at ssense and to have that buy approved!

As crazy as the pricing is - how can they justify the 100% cotton camouflage print sweatshirt with screen print at $2050 being virtually identical to the 100% cotton long sleeve camouflage print t-shirt in the same color with the same print for only $765.

Comment

• supercilious
        • Apr 2014

Looks like they are trying to position themselves with the likes of Chanel and Hermes... not especially surprising considering Karl's adoration of the brand.

Comment

• mrbeuys
          • May 2008

"Slight stain as shown in picture 3."

Ugh...
          Last edited by mrbeuys; 10-10-2017, 01:53 AM.
          Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• eleves
            • Sep 2012

That's the thing about Mastermind - funny enough it was one of my most sought after brands during my early sneakerhead days and was always positioned at the pinnacle of streetwear, and positioned so in terms of price and exclusivity. It was always what people would wear if they wanted to stand out from the other guys wearing Bape. You were THE MAN when you showed up to school wearing Mastermind anything and back in the days of bape talk forums when there were 'fit battles, you'd pretty much ensure victory if you had some Mastermind on.

The lifestyle aspect is definitely there, they have strong influence (think Mercedes G Wagon collaborations and were even in talks to create an "adult playground"). It got to a WTF point and then the brand announced it was shuttering after how ever many years they've been around, only to actually stop producing mainline things and then suddenly return via collaborations when DSMNY opened up and now have a mainline going again. It's also crazy to me how they can still charge so much money for things when the availability of the product has gone waaaaaaay up!
            Originally posted by Faust
            HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by eleves View Post
              That's the thing about Mastermind - funny enough it was one of my most sought after brands during my early sneakerhead days and was always positioned at the pinnacle of streetwear, and positioned so in terms of price and exclusivity. It was always what people would wear if they wanted to stand out from the other guys wearing Bape. You were THE MAN when you showed up to school wearing Mastermind anything and back in the days of bape talk forums when there were 'fit battles, you'd pretty much ensure victory if you had some Mastermind on.

The lifestyle aspect is definitely there, they have strong influence (think Mercedes G Wagon collaborations and were even in talks to create an "adult playground"). It got to a WTF point and then the brand announced it was shuttering after how ever many years they've been around, only to actually stop producing mainline things and then suddenly return via collaborations when DSMNY opened up and now have a mainline going again. It's also crazy to me how they can still charge so much money for things when the availability of the product has gone waaaaaaay up!
              Mastermind is the original Balmain, Off-White, Fear of God, Amiri, etc. Label that exists merely on hype without actually designing anything.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Jeroenr
                • May 2016

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                Mastermind is the original Balmain, Off-White, Fear of God, Amiri, etc. Label that exists merely on hype without actually designing anything.
                They did a collab with Julius too. Cant remember the year. Could not understand that. But so i cant understand the stuff Julius is doing now either.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Jeroenr View Post
                  They did a collab with Julius too. Cant remember the year. Could not understand that. But so i cant understand the stuff Julius is doing now either.
                  Few people can...
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• im_parfait
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2010

Resolved the issue
                    Last edited by im_parfait; 10-18-2017, 10:25 AM.

Comment

• Jeroenr
                      • May 2016

Few people can...
                      Yeah, on this forum. But i think the Vetements/ Gosha lovers will dig the new Julius.

Comment

• TheInformalGenius
                        • Oct 2015

Yeah, on this forum. But i think the Vetements/ Gosha lovers will dig the new Julius.
                        I think people that buy those brands are only buying for the name and hype.

Comment

• Sombre
                          • Jan 2009

Few people can...
                          I'm with Faust. The move from industrial to glam/more formal/whatever you want to call it felt natural to me because it retained a lot of the Julius elements from Thieves to Gothik or thereabouts. There was still draping, and while the geometry got more rigid, to me it was still consistent with Tatsuro's earlier work. This new direction just came out of nowhere. And there was an attempt to dial it back and include some more traditional Julius elements with Fall 2017 (leathers and long, loose, airy basics), but it's still strange.

And from the point of view of Vetements/Gosha lovers and other hypebeasts, what does Julius do that their favourite trendy brands already don't? As far as they're concerned this is some label that used to make expensive clothes for Hot Topic kids who grew up and now have some money to spend. Why should they buy it over Vetements or Yeezy or whatever the new flavour of the week is? Don't get me wrong; I love Julius (even now I hope this direction is just temporary and Tatsuro will change things soon). I'm just not sure how what he's doing now offers anything new to the space he's trying to enter.
                          Last edited by Sombre; 10-19-2017, 02:22 AM.
                          An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                          I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• Jeroenr
                            • May 2016

Originally posted by Sombre View Post
                            I'm with Faust. The move from industrial to glam/more formal/whatever you want to call it felt natural to me because it retained a lot of the Julius elements from Thieves to Gothik or thereabouts. There was still draping, and while the geometry got more rigid, to me it was still consistent with Tatsuro's earlier work. This new direction just came out of nowhere. And there was an attempt to dial it back and include some more traditional Julius elements with Fall 2017 (leathers and long, loose, airy basics), but it's still strange.

And from the point of view of Vetements/Gosha lovers and other hypebeasts, what does Julius do that their favourite trendy brands already don't? As far as they're concerned this is some label that used to make expensive clothes for Hot Topic kids who grew up and now have some money to spend. Why should they buy it over Vetements or Yeezy or whatever the new flavour of the week is? Don't get me wrong; I love Julius (even now I hope this direction is just temporary and Tatsuro will change things soon). I'm just not sure how what he's doing now offers anything new to the space he's trying to enter.
                            Oh, im completely with you. The Neeuromantika just came out of nowhere. I didnt liked the last couple of ones before that. But that collection was just plain wrong.

The new direction just doesnt bring anything new to the game. If he wanted to play it safe, he could have used his Nilos line for that.
                            Similair as 11BBS and Drkshwd.

Comment

• Jeroenr
                              • May 2016

I think we should move this over to the Julius threat, although some of his work really belongs in the WTF threat too :-)

Comment

• newp
                                • Feb 2013

Gareth Pugh SS18 fashion film. Could be very disturbing: in this case scroll to the 9th minute.
                                ‘This is not a show.’ Nick Knight and Gareth Pugh offer an exclusive visual insight into Pugh’s S/S 18 collection presented here as fashion film. In collabor...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎