X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nvsnli
    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by julian_doe View Post
    To be honest, I can't think of a single BBS 11 piece that I like. Not even the sneakers/backpacks!

I have always felt the line to be a very lazy skateboarding style brand. Good thing the mainline is amazing...because this is the most underwhelming diffusion/side-project ever, and it doesn't exemplify the true potential and vision of the designer.
    There were couple tee's and shorts, P1 jeans but that's about it.
    I do agree with your sentiments.

Comment

• Fuuma
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      LOL. I was speaking about Vetements specifically. More generally, I was delineating the difference between designers with staying power and the likes of Vetements.
      I'm not sure there is a distinction as far as hype is concerned (i.e. brands with staying power can go through the same hyped phase, what happens next is the difference) but yeah, someone like Rick Owens seems to be moving to a "maturity" phase not a complete disappearance or irrelevance.

Note: isn't it sad that almost everyone agrees CĂ©line is future hype even though we have no idea what any of it will look like.

Note2: The Margiela retrospective at Palais Galliera really underscores how every fucking season, even the bad ones, had a strong and distinct concept going for them.
      Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
        • Apr 2013

Note2: The Margiela retrospective at Palais Galliera really underscores how every fucking season, even the bad ones, had a strong and distinct concept going for them.

could you go into a little bit more detail on this?
        Originally posted by unwashed
        Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
        Originally posted by Ahimsa
        I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• Nickefuge
          • Nov 2014

I have a feeling Céline isn’t gonna blow up the way SLP did. Hedi won’t do streetwear and he probably won’t plaster the garments with huge logos, which, as you know, is all the hype atm.
          Either way, it’s gonna suck. I wish this man had the guts to start his own label (or at least move on to Topshop where he belongs), but he just doesn’t want to be held responsible.

HEDI IF U READ THIS COME AT ME BRO
          "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
          -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by TriggerDiscipline View Post

could you go into a little bit more detail on this?
            This exhibition, the first retrospective in Paris devoted to Belgian fashion designer Martin Margiela, traces the career, from spring-summer 1989 to spring-summer 2009, of a designer who not only questioned the structure of garments but also challenged the structure of the fashion system.
            Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Nomadic Planet
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by julian_doe View Post
              To be honest, I can't think of a single BBS 11 piece that I like. Not even the sneakers/backpacks!

I have always felt the line to be a very lazy skateboarding style brand. Good thing the mainline is amazing...because this is the most underwhelming diffusion/side-project ever, and it doesn't exemplify the true potential and vision of the designer.
              rather true... I feel 11byBBS is mostly about offering something that looks pretty close to the mainline but isn't as expensive.... I have bought a couple of hoodies that are cheaper alternatives to the 800€ cotton hoodie from the mainline... P1's cut I don't really like it, it doesnt hold any comparison to mainline pants (in terms of cut, quality-wise they are great)... all graphic stuff by 11BBS is kinda ugly IMO.
              some nice technical jackets and most of all the footwear with Salomon are probably worth it; other than that I don't think it's 11bbs role to express any vision from the designer, it really looks like it's designed by someone else.... ORRRR... it's Boris' way to express his "street" side ... I always read that BBS is supposed to be a mixture of street / skate culture blablabla, never really got that feeling from his mainline collections, there are plenty of influences there but never got any true "skate/street" influence , I would never see BBS as a skate infused brand... (besides the TS1 length anecdote...)

Comment

• Nickefuge
                • Nov 2014

Now something truly progressive would be to actually launch a skate brand with prices that are only a bit higher than actual skate brands. You know, something that will hold up well, get better with wear and tear and that skaters will actually skate in. This inspired/appropriated bullshit is nothing more than a cash grab.
                "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                -Paris Hilton

Comment

• julian_doe
                  • Mar 2013

Nomadic Planet, I can' think of a single piece which remotely looks like something I have seen under the BBS mainline. Neither in terms of cut, and much less in terms of quality.

Aside from that, I can definitely see the skateboarding influence in the mainline...and in BBS11 as well, I guess. Tapered pant hems, rubberization of the upper shoe (BAMBA models), bomber jackets, a casual take on tailoring, are all qualities which many Skateboarding brands have maintained throughout time. It isn't just about jeans and tees.

The problem, is that the BBS11 line is incredibly underwhelming and super overpriced.

Nickefuge, your idea has my vote.

In my heart, the work which is truly beautiful, inspirational, and which deserves any attention by BBS is the mainline. BBS11 has lazy graphics, cut, quality, and seems like it could only satisfy hypebeasts.

Just save a couple more hundred and buy something truly incredible from the mainline.

Comment

• 13we2
                    • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Nickefuge View Post
                    Now something truly progressive would be to actually launch a skate brand with prices that are only a bit higher than actual skate brands. You know, something that will hold up well, get better with wear and tear and that skaters will actually skate in. This inspired/appropriated bullshit is nothing more than a cash grab.
                    So I also learnt the mainline is considered "Nomad-inspired" (at least for a while). I guess then they should price more reasonably so that most shepherds could afford it and actually shapherd in.

Comment

• lowrey
                      ventiundici
                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Nomadic Planet View Post
                      it really looks like it's designed by someone else....
                      it is
                      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Muji
                        • Feb 2017

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                        it is
                        Like 90% off all brands.

Comment

• Nickefuge
                          • Nov 2014

Originally posted by 13we2 View Post
                          So I also learnt the mainline is considered "Nomad-inspired" (at least for a while). I guess then they should price more reasonably so that most shepherds could afford it and actually shapherd in.
                          Wow, you must be a very attentive pupil.
                          -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Rei
                            • Oct 2011

It's not only mostly unlikable, incomparable in terms of quality to the main line and feeling overpriced. It's also annoying as hell nowadays when you try to search for bbs and just end up with a bunch of the 11 spamming the search results. I wouldn't have given it any thought and could just brushed by as uninteresting, if it wasn't literally in your face everywhere.

Comment

• 13we2
                              • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Nickefuge View Post
                              Wow, you must be a very attentive pupil.
                              I'm not trying to justify 11, I don't like their current designs either. And I know nobody likes cash grabbing with poor quality products. I'm just trying to say when someone says they want to do a skate culture-inspired brand, they don't mean they want to run a skate brand. Your logic seems to be a bit crude to me that a somethhing-inspired brand is incompetent if it has failed to follow the standards of this certain something. You do agree some of the 11 pieces are slightly better than vans and supra design-wise, right?

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                                • Apr 2013

this one is a doosy,

11 is made quite well considering the pricepoint on some of the pieces, all the technical pieces are solid, I particularly like the wider pant pieces and obviously the bambas are great, It would be difficult to say that 11 is a skate brand but there is some influence, I would put it more under a lifestyle category. Its also difficult to call it a diffusion because its more of its own contained thing and usually the customerbase might have only slight overlap.
                                Originally posted by unwashed
                                Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
                                Originally posted by Ahimsa
                                I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎