Page 2 of 589 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102502 ... LastLast

Thread: WTF

Default Re: WTF

please, no andrew mackenzie.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

AMK notwithstanding, my biggest real "WTF?" garment is this Julien for Givenchy couture coat. It's simply the ugliest thing I've seen and I simply cannot imagine a woman going to Givenchy to be fitted for, and then paying $10K or more, for this. In case you haven't seen it before or can't see it clearly... it says "GIVENCHY" and "COUTURE" all over it... eek:

Thank God Tisci is at Givenchy now!!!

So....I hear you guys like Andrew Mckenzie..

*runs shrieking from above picture*

[quote user="electric_alyce"]*runs shrieking from above picture*[/quote]

those same athletic instincts should have set you sprinting off at a cracking pace

from this little beauty then

come on, pip - seriously,give the kid a break.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Saw that one comming. Is it now I'm gonna keep on arguing for at least four pages before pointing my nose in the air and leaving because you are sooo singleminded?

I think Faust will ban me for this (and with good reason!)...

But, Purity, I'll see your AMK and raise you one...

Shit, I can't beat that. Fold

Scratch that...See if you can beat my straight flush man bra!

Also seems the handsome cowboy is making hand to mouth gestures signifying a blowjob.

[quote user="Purity"]

Shit, I can't beat that. Fold

Scratch that...See if you can beat my straight flush man bra!

Also seems the handsome cowboy is making hand to mouth gestures signifying a blowjob.

[/quote]

...okey, THAT is worse than mine!

Heirloom

I first have to say that I do LOVE Bernhard Willhelm, and I own many things by him, but sometimes he crosses lines I didn't even know existed. Like with his latest collection. it's the biggest WTF I've seen in a long time, and even though most of it looks hideous I managed to still spot some lovely garments, although this post is dedicated for the ugliest.

You're right... how could I have forgotten BW? He's a habitual line-stepper in terms of absurd, unwearable garments... at least for men. Who could forget a/w 04? That's the season where he put out men's football (American football... not soccer) uniforms with flames and block prints and helmets. Yikes!

Heirloom

In a way though, he does it so violently and cleverly, that I can't help but admire his creativity. To me, what he makes is incredibly creative, albeit not wearable at times. Even the ugliest pieces can't be considered to be tacky, just really really wierd. This other designer up there is a TACKY one though. it's not funny or smart enough.

You're right, I think, and that is a very good way to look at it... BW is NOT tacky (AMK or Dsquared fill that one nicely!) but it is weird or, more aptly, just plain bizarre.

I guess it all comes down to where we view fashion; for me, it is not simply an art form, but is instead something that always has to ride a line of wearability or usability for a person. If it lacks this, it becomes almost conceptual art. As a former art history student, trust me, I love conceptual art, but nevertheless related to clothes and fashion I still think that the line has to be treaded carefully or else it ALL just delves into nonsense (or, worse, endless fawning over NOTHING... as in "The Emperor's New Clothes!")

This was always my problem with the earlier Prada seasons (and way-back-when Fausty and I would argue about this on TFS)... she put out nice, minimal basics in interesting fabrics (basically slightly more androgynous copies of what JIl and Helmut had been doing for years) and instead of seeing this, instead critics and everybody else seemed to go on and on about how "cerebral" and "intellectual" the clothes were. It all seemed rather nonsensical to me... a simple, battleship grey lightweight cashmere cardigan is only that... it isn't a statement about the "changing conceptual framework of the early 21st century urban warrior" or somesuch garbage!

Heirloom

you make me miss his FW 06-07 collection terribly much :( Back then everything was extreme and eyecatching, without taking from the flattering shapes or showing too much (i.e. crotch enhancers)

[quote user="rach2jlc"]

You're right, I think, and that is a very good way to look at it... BW is NOT tacky (AMK or Dsquared fill that one nicely!) but it is weird or, more aptly, just plain bizarre.

I guess it all comes down to where we view fashion; for me, it is not simply an art form, but is instead something that always has to ride a line of wearability or usability for a person. If it lacks this, it becomes almost conceptual art. As a former art history student, trust me, I love conceptual art, but nevertheless related to clothes and fashion I still think that the line has to be treaded carefully or else it ALL just delves into nonsense (or, worse, endless fawning over NOTHING... as in "The Emperor's New Clothes!")

This was always my problem with the earlier Prada seasons (and way-back-when Fausty and I would argue about this on TFS)... she put out nice, minimal basics in interesting fabrics (basically slightly more androgynous copies of what JIl and Helmut had been doing for years) and instead of seeing this, instead critics and everybody else seemed to go on and on about how "cerebral" and "intellectual" the clothes were. It all seemed rather nonsensical to me... a simple, battleship grey lightweight cashmere cardigan is only that... it isn't a statement about the "changing conceptual framework of the early 21st century urban warrior" or somesuch garbage!

[/quote]

Indeed. [Y]

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

These pants from junya watanabe made me laugh :D

Heirloom

oh holy crap :O

Yeah, I was actually going to add Junya to my list of "designer you want to love, but can't" but didn't because I'm not sure I can articulate exactly what I don't (or CAN'T) like about his work.

I know he is very well respected and, theoretically, I see that he is very talented, but I just can't warm up to his stuff. Kawakubo's CdG is odd to me, but I still see overall how it works. Sometimes, with Junya, I don't think the blend of Japanese kitsch with American western-wear or other styles works very well or in a way that is particularly aesthetically pleasing.

I've owned lots of Junya's pieces over the past 4-5 years (thanks largely to a friend who owns a boutique that stocked his stuff and where I got good discounts), but I always ended up either giving the stuff away or reselling it, because I just couldn't warm up to it.