WTF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WTF

I first have to say that I do LOVE Bernhard Willhelm, and I own many things by him, but sometimes he crosses lines I didn't even know existed. Like with his latest collection. it's the biggest WTF I've seen in a long time, and even though most of it looks hideous I managed to still spot some lovely garments, although this post is dedicated for the ugliest.

Comment

• rach2jlc
      • Sep 2006

You're right... how could I have forgotten BW? He's a habitual line-stepper in terms of absurd, unwearable garments... at least for men. Who could forget a/w 04? That's the season where he put out men's football (American football... not soccer) uniforms with flames and block prints and helmets. Yikes!

Comment

In a way though, he does it so violently and cleverly, that I can't help but admire his creativity. To me, what he makes is incredibly creative, albeit not wearable at times. Even the ugliest pieces can't be considered to be tacky, just really really wierd. This other designer up there is a TACKY one though. it's not funny or smart enough.

Comment

• rach2jlc
          • Sep 2006

You're right, I think, and that is a very good way to look at it... BW is NOT tacky (AMK or Dsquared fill that one nicely!) but it is weird or, more aptly, just plain bizarre.

I guess it all comes down to where we view fashion; for me, it is not simply an art form, but is instead something that always has to ride a line of wearability or usability for a person. If it lacks this, it becomes almost conceptual art. As a former art history student, trust me, I love conceptual art, but nevertheless related to clothes and fashion I still think that the line has to be treaded carefully or else it ALL just delves into nonsense (or, worse, endless fawning over NOTHING... as in "The Emperor's New Clothes!")

This was always my problem with the earlier Prada seasons (and way-back-when Fausty and I would argue about this on TFS)... she put out nice, minimal basics in interesting fabrics (basically slightly more androgynous copies of what JIl and Helmut had been doing for years) and instead of seeing this, instead critics and everybody else seemed to go on and on about how "cerebral" and "intellectual" the clothes were. It all seemed rather nonsensical to me... a simple, battleship grey lightweight cashmere cardigan is only that... it isn't a statement about the "changing conceptual framework of the early 21st century urban warrior" or somesuch garbage!

Comment

you make me miss his FW 06-07 collection terribly much :( Back then everything was extreme and eyecatching, without taking from the flattering shapes or showing too much (i.e. crotch enhancers)

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="rach2jlc"]

You're right, I think, and that is a very good way to look at it... BW is NOT tacky (AMK or Dsquared fill that one nicely!) but it is weird or, more aptly, just plain bizarre.

I guess it all comes down to where we view fashion; for me, it is not simply an art form, but is instead something that always has to ride a line of wearability or usability for a person. If it lacks this, it becomes almost conceptual art. As a former art history student, trust me, I love conceptual art, but nevertheless related to clothes and fashion I still think that the line has to be treaded carefully or else it ALL just delves into nonsense (or, worse, endless fawning over NOTHING... as in "The Emperor's New Clothes!")

This was always my problem with the earlier Prada seasons (and way-back-when Fausty and I would argue about this on TFS)... she put out nice, minimal basics in interesting fabrics (basically slightly more androgynous copies of what JIl and Helmut had been doing for years) and instead of seeing this, instead critics and everybody else seemed to go on and on about how "cerebral" and "intellectual" the clothes were. It all seemed rather nonsensical to me... a simple, battleship grey lightweight cashmere cardigan is only that... it isn't a statement about the "changing conceptual framework of the early 21st century urban warrior" or somesuch garbage!

[/quote]

Indeed. [Y]

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ahlefeldt
                • May 2008

These pants from junya watanabe made me laugh :D

Comment

oh holy crap :O

Comment

• rach2jlc
                    • Sep 2006

Yeah, I was actually going to add Junya to my list of "designer you want to love, but can't" but didn't because I'm not sure I can articulate exactly what I don't (or CAN'T) like about his work.

I know he is very well respected and, theoretically, I see that he is very talented, but I just can't warm up to his stuff. Kawakubo's CdG is odd to me, but I still see overall how it works. Sometimes, with Junya, I don't think the blend of Japanese kitsch with American western-wear or other styles works very well or in a way that is particularly aesthetically pleasing.

I've owned lots of Junya's pieces over the past 4-5 years (thanks largely to a friend who owns a boutique that stocked his stuff and where I got good discounts), but I always ended up either giving the stuff away or reselling it, because I just couldn't warm up to it.

Comment

• Johnny
                      • Sep 2006

fuck-a-duck!!

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Johnny"]

fuck-a-duck!!

[/quote]

Ballar!

EDIT: This whole slide show is truly pathetic.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ahlefeldt
                          • May 2008

looks hideous with that jil sander down the side.

Comment

• rach2jlc
                            • Sep 2006

Not necessarily hideous, but definitely NOT Jil. She was the original "no branding brand" who defined her garments by cut and superlative materials. Not anymore, apparently.

And that Missoni sweater is just ridiculous; I swear my grandma made me something similar when I was eight.

I blame the whole thing (this trend on ridiculously conspicuous consumption) on Russian/Chinese oligarchs and new money... they want something because it costs $19,000, not because it's a gorgeous item. Certainly, the materials of that sweater are probably heavenly, but it looks ridiculous. (Anyway, just read a story online of a Russian billionaire who spent 500 million Euros on a pad in the Riviera... the same guy whose servants reported him giving parties where the guests burn 500 euro bills and laugh gaily all the way...)

Yes, I'm only joking about the Russians and the Chinese... somewhat... but I seriously doubt that many of the $85,000 crocodile coats, $19,000 sweaters, and $95,000 bags that are coming down the runways EVERY SEASON now are finding homes in NYC, Paris, or even Tokyo (not anymore, anyway!)

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Do all ostentatious spenders have to be Russian and Chinese, or does it just make "better" news?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• rach2jlc
                                • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]Do all ostentatious spenders have to be Russian and Chinese, or does it just make "better" news?
                                [/quote]

Oh, it definitely makes it better news in our current US climate where we like to feel sorry for ourselves because of our crappy (self-induced) economy and outlook for future manufacturing... but 500 million Euros for a house is news regardless of who buys it. ;)

As well, you are very correct in what I THINK you are implying (haha), and I think the difference comes largely because it is a very new, very emerging market, and the degree of consumption is on a level heretofore unseen, at least since we good ol' Americans "bought" culture from Europe and Asia in the late 1800's (for example, you want to see the best collections of Japanese lacquer in the world? Don't go to Japan, dear friend, come to the Midwest, where the wives of a few robber barons loved the stuff and bought most of it up!)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎