Page 3 of 589 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103503 ... LastLast

Thread: WTF

Default Re: WTF

[quote user="Johnny"]

fuck-a-duck!!

[/quote]

Ballar!

EDIT: This whole slide show is truly pathetic.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

looks hideous with that jil sander down the side.

Not necessarily hideous, but definitely NOT Jil. She was the original "no branding brand" who defined her garments by cut and superlative materials. Not anymore, apparently.

And that Missoni sweater is just ridiculous; I swear my grandma made me something similar when I was eight.

I blame the whole thing (this trend on ridiculously conspicuous consumption) on Russian/Chinese oligarchs and new money... they want something because it costs $19,000, not because it's a gorgeous item. Certainly, the materials of that sweater are probably heavenly, but it looks ridiculous. (Anyway, just read a story online of a Russian billionaire who spent 500 million Euros on a pad in the Riviera... the same guy whose servants reported him giving parties where the guests burn 500 euro bills and laugh gaily all the way...)

Yes, I'm only joking about the Russians and the Chinese... somewhat... but I seriously doubt that many of the $85,000 crocodile coats, $19,000 sweaters, and $95,000 bags that are coming down the runways EVERY SEASON now are finding homes in NYC, Paris, or even Tokyo (not anymore, anyway!)

Do all ostentatious spenders have to be Russian and Chinese, or does it just make "better" news?
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

[quote user="Faust"]Do all ostentatious spenders have to be Russian and Chinese, or does it just make "better" news?
    [/quote]

Oh, it definitely makes it better news in our current US climate where we like to feel sorry for ourselves because of our crappy (self-induced) economy and outlook for future manufacturing... but 500 million Euros for a house is news regardless of who buys it. ;)

As well, you are very correct in what I THINK you are implying (haha), and I think the difference comes largely because it is a very new, very emerging market, and the degree of consumption is on a level heretofore unseen, at least since we good ol' Americans "bought" culture from Europe and Asia in the late 1800's (for example, you want to see the best collections of Japanese lacquer in the world? Don't go to Japan, dear friend, come to the Midwest, where the wives of a few robber barons loved the stuff and bought most of it up!)

Yep, something like that :-). The British media strikes me as especially annoying in that respect. "We've raped and pillaged half the world for hundreds of years, but we have learned from our mistakes, so let us show you how democracy really works!"

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

[quote user="Faust"]Yep, something like that :-). The British media strikes me as especially annoying in that respect. "We've raped and pillaged half the world for hundreds of years, but we have learned from our mistakes, so let us show you how democracy really works!"
    [/quote]

Only HALF the world, Faust? The sun sets on half the world... but not on the British empire!

I agree with you fully; a lot of it is just sour grapes. Our economy is tanking and others are doing well and, of course, we have to find some fault in that just because we aren't the ones getting to laugh all the way to the bank.

Nevertheless, there IS a degree to which the consumption is real and is VERY MUCH based on image or perceived image of price irregardless of the actual item itself, to a greater extent than has happened even in the past. Luxury brands with identifiable logos know this very clearly and are investing their futures largely in the hopes that this trend will continue; I doubt it is a coincidence that the $19,000 Missoni sweater also happens to be in one of their very easily identifiable bright color patterns. (Carpe Diem or Lm Altieri probably puts out a $19,000 sweater or jacket, too, but I doubt it has CARPE DIEM embroidered all over it, haha)

An unscientific, but personal observation in this regard...the contingent of Chinese exchange students where I teach (obviously, all of them are from wealthier families as they pay ridiculously high international tuition with no financial aid) is a virtual smattering of the Burberry novaplaid pattern in everything from socks to underwear to umbrellas, and they unabashedly say that they want to buy Burberry because people know what it is and because it is "expensive;" not because they actuall like it or think it looks good. I know, because I've often been asked by students where they can buy Burberry/LV/Gucci in our area and we then have a conversation about it.

[quote user="rach2jlc"]

[quote user="Faust"]Yep, something like that :-). The British media strikes me as especially annoying in that respect. "We've raped and pillaged half the world for hundreds of years, but we have learned from our mistakes, so let us show you how democracy really works!"
    [/quote]

Only HALF the world, Faust? The sun sets on half the world... but not on the British empire!

I agree with you fully; a lot of it is just sour grapes. Our economy is tanking and others are doing well and, of course, we have to find some fault in that just because we aren't the ones getting to laugh all the way to the bank.

Nevertheless, there IS a degree to which the consumption is real and is VERY MUCH based on image or perceived image of price irregardless of the actual item itself, to a greater extent than has happened even in the past. Luxury brands with identifiable logos know this very clearly and are investing their futures largely in the hopes that this trend will continue; I doubt it is a coincidence that the $19,000 Missoni sweater also happens to be in one of their very easily identifiable bright color patterns. (Carpe Diem or Lm Altieri probably puts out a $19,000 sweater or jacket, too, but I doubt it has CARPE DIEM embroidered all over it, haha)

An unscientific, but personal observation in this regard...the contingent of Chinese exchange students where I teach (obviously, all of them are from wealthier families as they pay ridiculously high international tuition with no financial aid) is a virtual smattering of the Burberry novaplaid pattern in everything from socks to underwear to umbrellas, and they unabashedly say that they want to buy Burberry because people know what it is and because it is "expensive;" not because they actuall like it or think it looks good. I know, because I've often been asked by students where they can buy Burberry/LV/Gucci in our area and we then have a conversation about it.

[/quote]

I was being modest [:$]

But, yea, I agree with you. I chuck some of it off to the learning curve any peeps in the developing economy need to muster. Of course once you are out of the gray communist cage you'll go for what shines brightest. LOL at your last sentence. You have to educate the young grasshoppers in the ways of the fashion samurai.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Brad Pitt Shirt?

[quote user="justine"]Brad Pitt Shirt?

[/quote]

FUCKING AWESOME [89]

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

at least it's not Kanye West.
    Helmut went to the ocean to gather his thoughts. Inspiration comes from retreat.

[quote user="airboyair"]at least it's not Kanye West.[/quote]

[92]

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

[quote user="Faust"]

[quote user="airboyair"]at least it's not Kanye West.[/quote]

[92]

[/quote]

everytime i see those be kanye ads in the subway, i feel like vomiting.

Helmut went to the ocean to gather his thoughts. Inspiration comes from retreat.

Heirloom

Heirloom

[quote user="merz"]

redacted. i just went slightly over the top.

[/quote]

heh, your signature is referring to me.... very funny.

^^ why... WHY?!

xadam

wtf is FRANCIeS?

[quote user="xadam"]wtf is FRANCIeS?
    [/quote]

another CDiem offshoot.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Three As Four: I try really hard to like them. I know they are known for their circular cuts and organic shapes, but they can't seem to evovle. Even when I see something online that look semi-appealing, it seems to fall short. A lot of what they do is just plain ugly.