• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: WTF

Yep, something like that :-). The British media strikes me as especially annoying in that respect. "We've raped and pillaged half the world for hundreds of years, but we have learned from our mistakes, so let us show you how democracy really works!"
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• rach2jlc
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]Yep, something like that :-). The British media strikes me as especially annoying in that respect. "We've raped and pillaged half the world for hundreds of years, but we have learned from our mistakes, so let us show you how democracy really works!"
      [/quote]

Only HALF the world, Faust? The sun sets on half the world... but not on the British empire!

I agree with you fully; a lot of it is just sour grapes. Our economy is tanking and others are doing well and, of course, we have to find some fault in that just because we aren't the ones getting to laugh all the way to the bank.

Nevertheless, there IS a degree to which the consumption is real and is VERY MUCH based on image or perceived image of price irregardless of the actual item itself, to a greater extent than has happened even in the past. Luxury brands with identifiable logos know this very clearly and are investing their futures largely in the hopes that this trend will continue; I doubt it is a coincidence that the $19,000 Missoni sweater also happens to be in one of their very easily identifiable bright color patterns. (Carpe Diem or Lm Altieri probably puts out a $19,000 sweater or jacket, too, but I doubt it has CARPE DIEM embroidered all over it, haha)

An unscientific, but personal observation in this regard...the contingent of Chinese exchange students where I teach (obviously, all of them are from wealthier families as they pay ridiculously high international tuition with no financial aid) is a virtual smattering of the Burberry novaplaid pattern in everything from socks to underwear to umbrellas, and they unabashedly say that they want to buy Burberry because people know what it is and because it is "expensive;" not because they actuall like it or think it looks good. I know, because I've often been asked by students where they can buy Burberry/LV/Gucci in our area and we then have a conversation about it.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="rach2jlc"]

[quote user="Faust"]Yep, something like that :-). The British media strikes me as especially annoying in that respect. "We've raped and pillaged half the world for hundreds of years, but we have learned from our mistakes, so let us show you how democracy really works!"
        [/quote]

Only HALF the world, Faust? The sun sets on half the world... but not on the British empire!

I agree with you fully; a lot of it is just sour grapes. Our economy is tanking and others are doing well and, of course, we have to find some fault in that just because we aren't the ones getting to laugh all the way to the bank.

Nevertheless, there IS a degree to which the consumption is real and is VERY MUCH based on image or perceived image of price irregardless of the actual item itself, to a greater extent than has happened even in the past. Luxury brands with identifiable logos know this very clearly and are investing their futures largely in the hopes that this trend will continue; I doubt it is a coincidence that the $19,000 Missoni sweater also happens to be in one of their very easily identifiable bright color patterns. (Carpe Diem or Lm Altieri probably puts out a $19,000 sweater or jacket, too, but I doubt it has CARPE DIEM embroidered all over it, haha)

An unscientific, but personal observation in this regard...the contingent of Chinese exchange students where I teach (obviously, all of them are from wealthier families as they pay ridiculously high international tuition with no financial aid) is a virtual smattering of the Burberry novaplaid pattern in everything from socks to underwear to umbrellas, and they unabashedly say that they want to buy Burberry because people know what it is and because it is "expensive;" not because they actuall like it or think it looks good. I know, because I've often been asked by students where they can buy Burberry/LV/Gucci in our area and we then have a conversation about it.

[/quote]

I was being modest [:$]

But, yea, I agree with you. I chuck some of it off to the learning curve any peeps in the developing economy need to muster. Of course once you are out of the gray communist cage you'll go for what shines brightest. LOL at your last sentence. You have to educate the young grasshoppers in the ways of the fashion samurai.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• justine
          • Jan 2007

Brad Pitt Shirt?

Comment

• Chinorlz
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="justine"]Brad Pitt Shirt?

[/quote]

FUCKING AWESOME [89]

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• airboyair
              • Oct 2006

at least it's not Kanye West.
              Helmut went to the ocean to gather his thoughts. Inspiration comes from retreat.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="airboyair"]at least it's not Kanye West.[/quote]

[92]

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• airboyair
                  • Oct 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

[quote user="airboyair"]at least it's not Kanye West.[/quote]

[92]

[/quote]

everytime i see those be kanye ads in the subway, i feel like vomiting.

Helmut went to the ocean to gather his thoughts. Inspiration comes from retreat.

Comment

Comment

• justine
                      • Jan 2007

^ ?!

Comment

[quote user="merz"]

redacted. i just went slightly over the top.

[/quote]

heh, your signature is referring to me.... very funny.

Comment

• firstlove
                          • Apr 2008

^^ why... WHY?!

Comment

wtf is FRANCIeS?

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="xadam"]wtf is FRANCIeS?
                              [/quote]

another CDiem offshoot.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Kodak
                                • Oct 2006

Three As Four: I try really hard to like them. I know they are known for their circular cuts and organic shapes, but they can't seem to evovle. Even when I see something online that look semi-appealing, it seems to fall short. A lot of what they do is just plain ugly.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎