X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • landwolf
    Banned
    • Apr 2008

I guess that's where we differ. I think designers should put out clothes they're proud of. The customer is irrelevant.

Comment

• Chinorlz
      • Sep 2006

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Kill_switch
      being 16 and a junior in high school i see mostly scene or hollister stuff all over the place. there is however ONE kid in my history class who ventures into sf and mostly sz and has adopted the goth ninja aesthetic. he plans on grabbing a carol christian poell suit and a rick owens bomber among other stuff. he makes a shitload of money doing computer stuff for his parents.

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Kill_switch
      hes spending way too much at his age, he says together hes buying around 5 things for 5 grand buy next winter. two pairs of boots (one lace-up), 2 suits and a leather jacket. i asked him why the suits already, he said he really likes carol's cuts and he wants the blazer+pants and so he has it all for the future.

originally from styleforum.

WHAT THE FUCK
      Unlike Ironman, I only have ONE WTF to say about this:

how the hell is he going to score two suits, a leather jacket, and two pairs of boots all from CCP for $5k?! I'd be TOTALLY down!
      www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• editevening
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post

how the hell is he going to score two suits, a leather jacket, and two pairs of boots all from CCP for $5k?! I'd be TOTALLY down!
        lol, i was thinking the same thing. Clearly not a finance major.
        #nevernotalmostshopping

Comment

• AKA*NYC
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post

when he says 5k he's probably being modest
          LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• ironman
            • Apr 2008

maybe it's 5000 GBP? and i think only the one of two suits he wants is from CCP. unless CCP has a lace-up boot i am not aware of

Comment

• Chinorlz
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by ironman View Post
              maybe it's 5000 GBP? and i think only the one of two suits he wants is from CCP. unless CCP has a lace-up boot i am not aware of
              baby this cat is just thinking ahead to those dipped hiking boots this coming season :) we got ourselves one sharp 16 year old

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Magician
                • Jul 2008

Yeah, hah I said the same thing about the cost and absence of Poell laceup boots on SF.

Casem83 Mathew Lesko (the question mark guy) is pretty next-level IRL. You end up meeting really interesting people in my profession.
                Selling badass McQueen topcoat 48/38/M. I also write and tweet.

Comment

• Sombre
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Casius View Post
                  It's Raf's own fault that's for sure. I also blame places like Barneys who only buy his sneakers (same goes for Lanvin).
                  I agree. Barneys has, in part, promoted Raf Simons as purely a sneaker designer, but he didn't hel himself much by making that beach towel.

Originally posted by landwolf View Post
                  I guess that's where we differ. I think designers should put out clothes they're proud of. The customer is irrelevant.
                  That might be a bit idealistic since it affects how seriously the designer's work is taken in subsequent seasons. Take Versace for example. Few people have taken the label seriously since the 1990s because of the flashy rubbish.
                  An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                  I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Landwolf, why don't you go buy yourself a Raf beach towel.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by merz
                      i think we can all agree that raf's recent history of collections has gone anywhere from 'underwhelming' to 'absolute fucking rubbish' over the past couple of years in short order, with the only exception to this being perhaps f/w 08 womens raf for jil, which i felt to have been a very strong collection in the sense of concept & quality of what he could've been doing everywhere else, if he weren't spread so thin (raf by raf for raf from raf..)

the buys, as casius had mentioned, don't help things any, rendering what he produces largely irrelevant to those people you've suggested him just wanting to be 'really excited about his clothes' or whatever that was. Besides sneaks & the sort of hype rubbish, which is what leads to the sort of photographs. didn't have fuck all to do with it being a black guy wearing them, landwolf, or some representative of an aesthetic/culture other than the sz variety, if there were such a thing. i honestly don't think you to have seriously suggested that. maybe i'm giving you too much credit? i'd rather think of you as an obvious troll than a fucking moron, so i hope you'll understand. a raf piece isn't something one could easily imagine worn in context similar to i got me some bapes man. i guess we sort of slept through raf reaching that point where brand hype eclipsed the substance of his design work, which has been lacking in his work of late, and that substance was always the one thing about him that you could take for granted, even if you didn't necessarily agree with particular aesthetic choices/direction from one season to another. so much for that.

as for whether any designer cares about this forum or not - i don't know really, but a lot of us here make clothes. couple of people who started out from posting their work on this forum are now being carried in the same places that stock poell or julius or whatever the hell else. does that qualify them as designers in your mind? i'd really love to have an explanation of what would - humour me.

my only suggestion would be for you to try and contribute to the discussion for a bit before lapsing into the sort of self-indulgent yet utterly clue-deficient pronouncement wankery. that is, if you want anyone to dignify it with a halfway-serious consideration & response.
                      I command your fortitude! (Obviously, I agree with our statement) And, yes, designers care. Well, if not care, then definitely follow. I know.

BTW, I don't think we've slept through it. I've been sounding the alarm for the past couple of years.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
                        ventiundici
                        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by ironman View Post
                        to be honest, i only find two things wtf with that

1) at 16, won't he outgrow his items? or will he size up? lol

2) the money he's making is off his parents
                        3) how much and on what you spend is your own decision, but throwing around some estimated buying figures in your high school history class is pretty weak sauce.

4) whining about some one else's spending habits on an online forum is equally wack
                        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• casem
                          • Sep 2006

I more or less agree with your Raf assessment Merz (though, I think he's done consistently good work at Jil) but I don't understand all the hate at landwolf. Maybe I missed something, but I thought his comment on why the Raf sneak pic got such a reaction had some truth to it, he wasn't saying Raf's current work is the shit and he wants a beach towel.
                          music

Comment

• Chinorlz
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by merz
                            guilty as charged, a. sometimes i can't help it when the recent purchases thread reads as though someone walked into Atelier and triumphantly bellowed at the top of their lungs "I'LL TAKE IT.. ALL OF IT', followed by a too-long moment of bewildering silence.

is there a difference between a personal aesthetic & an impossibly-large closet of impossibly-expensive things well-received amongst the cognoscenti? could looking as though the said closet vomited all over you be regarded as style? does doing one's damnest to match the runway styling & lookbook photos? or lookbook.nu? ultimately, does any of it really matter?

i don't have any answers to that, but sometimes its nice to have a place for asking the questions.
                            This is absolutely EPIC! I can visualize this perfectly :)

First thought that came to mind was iSuck

Comment

• kunk75
                              Banned
                              • May 2008

eh, some earlier incarnations of isuck were questionable, but i see him relatively often and he actually looks really good in RO, Doma, etc.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                                • Sep 2006

by the way... I'm going to go ahead and WTF those Ann sandals.

They have the staying power and aesthetic of a 78 year old man's penis.

As others have pointed out, they are quite the polarizing item... but I cannot quite understand why anyone would like them. The tied part that wraps the ankle just makes me cringe. I fully expect them on SZ classifieds within a month or two... if not the specific pair that belongs to Chris then someone else who bought them.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎