X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ian+
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by the breaks View Post
    When Asap was coming up he was talking about fashion even then. I doubt he had a stylist back then.
    I am not questioning his interest in fashion, I don't know him, just wanted to add it to the discussion.
    ...bombing the bass, blasting the beat

Comment

• the breaks
      • Sep 2007

Oh I see. I'm thinking his stylist is most likely responsible for sourcing stuff / shopping for him but he picks the labels and pieces himself.
      Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• ian+
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by the breaks View Post
        Oh I see. I'm thinking his stylist is most likely responsible for sourcing stuff / shopping for him but he picks the labels and pieces himself.
        if he has a genuine interest (I don't doubt that he does) in the whole process then I agree with your thought.

I do want to throw a question on the table though. Do you believe that a 25 year old music star (Asap or anyone else) has studied anything regarding fashion? History, magazines, editorials of the past, campaigns, old runways etc. I do believe that a lot of people (myself included at the beginning) start by trying to develop a sense of style, those who are really interested dig deeper. Popstars, rappers, [you name it] have an army of people behind them that shop, alter, style and take care of everything. Even Kanye who influences a lot of fans and is considered to be a fashion icon (pff) has Virgil (Off White) and others and still manages to look sloppier than ever. Anyway excuse my rant, I just think all of them go for the style and not the knowledge. And that in my book is ok but I won't give them credit.

PS. Shucks with flip flops and the short shorts looks way better than all the rappers and Jude Laws of this world. Together. Amen.
        ...bombing the bass, blasting the beat

Comment

• the breaks
          • Sep 2007

He definitely wants people to believe he has (studied fashion).

Without knowing the man personally it's all conjecture, but if I were a betting man I'd wager he's done his homework by now. That's based on the fact he seems to be genuinely interested in this stuff.
          Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• Chinorlz
            • Sep 2006

Jude may have stylists but he has been rocking cdiem/rick/ccp for quite a number of years... that cat even wore the rick barf shirt!
            www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• PurpleJesuss
              • May 2014

I think some rappers have a genuine interest in fashion like some of the A$AP members or even Kanye but it's the way they flaunt it that's really annoying. Rocky made this song called fashion killa where he basically name drops all these labels in an attempt to show he knows his shit or something. I get that you know more than other rappers but that doesn't make you an icon. I sincerely doubt rocky has looked at past Rick collections in depth to determine the possible influences of each show or how the aesthetic changes throughout the years.

Kanye has apparently worked in the industry as a pattern maker or something (not sure about this) but his lack of direction or vision showcased in his latest apc collab demonstrates to a point the extent of his abilities.

All in all it seems like "liking fashion" is cool right now and it's something rappers or personalities may use to differentiate themselves from the rest.

PS: I don't doubt Kanye's passion for clothing but that doesn't make his creative abilities any good

Comment

• TheThief
                • Mar 2011

That this conversation is still going is the biggest WTF.

oh noes, celbrities wear my fashionz

Comment

• Chinorlz
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by TheThief View Post
                  That this conversation is still going is the biggest WTF.

oh noes, celbrities wear my fashionz
                  Yo on the real though... I stopped wearing Rick for 6 months after I saw Taylor Swift in one of his jackets. I'm still recovering.

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• fncyths
                    • Apr 2010

ha! yo on the real though pt. II

was on set with jude a few years back for a shoot. super nice guy. we talked threads and both were wearing the same black dior homme jeans.

#bromance
                    Originally posted by Shucks
                    it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
                    Originally posted by interest1
                    I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• Icarium
                      • Oct 2010

The best thing about Pitbull was when he did a contest for Walmart where people could vote which Walmart he'd get sent to for a performance and David Thorpe (Somethingawful/Some newspaper) got people to vote for a tiny Walmart in a tiny town in Alaska.

That he went, apparently gave a great performance and was a good sport about it gave him a lot of positive points in my book, but yeah his music is pretty pointless.

Comment

• 550BC
                        • Jan 2013

''What is aesthetic balance?'' - A$AP ROCKY (not a legit quote though)

a fish out of water dies

Comment

• Shucks
                          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by 550BC View Post
                          ''What is aesthetic balance?'' - A$AP ROCKY (not a legit quote though)

honestly, both those looks are shit...

Comment

• 550BC
                            • Jan 2013

I agree
                            a fish out of water dies

Comment

• apathy!
                              • Jan 2014

Icarium, that article is great. Pretty telling if you're doing a promotion with Walmart as a musician. As you said, there aren't many musicians who would have gone through with that, though.

Comment

• profondo nero
                                • Aug 2012

Aunque la mona se vista de seda, mona queda.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎