• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fncyths
    • Apr 2010

/ \

pues, así son las cosas...
    Originally posted by Shucks
    it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
    Originally posted by interest1
    I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by LelandJ View Post
      How is it removed when their lyrics celebrate nihilistic behavior, some of which leads them directly back to prison. If I'm not mistaken some rap even brags about doing time?

The world probably couldn't be any more fucked up than it is so I don't blame anyone for anything. Free will's an Orwellian illusion, as I mentioned before.
      Merely pointing out what came first, which is prison uniforms. And since being in jail, after Mr. Reagan decided that the best place for young blacks is there (a.k.a. War on Drugs), became a badge of honor, young people in the ghetto, including rappers that came out of it, adapted the style.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by the breaks View Post
        When Asap was coming up he was talking about fashion even then. I doubt he had a stylist back then.
        He did, but it wasn't this dude.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• upsilonkng
          • May 2010

Originally posted by apathy! View Post
          Icarium, that article is great. Pretty telling if you're doing a promotion with Walmart as a musician. As you said, there aren't many musicians who would have gone through with that, though.
          "musician" is being used way too loosely here.... a guy in a cheap suit and sunglasses repeating a phrase over and over again in a speaking tone (currently "playoffs.......playoffs.....playoffs" for the nba... "playoffs" ) while making Fergy sound like Billie Holiday doesn't quite make him a musician. And anyone doing a promotion for Walmart obviously will never do or think anything worthwhile.
          ps I voted for him to go to Alaska as well I was hoping for a storm or at least the beginning of the Ice Age, but the Bud Lite godz wouldn't have it and he escaped w/ his life intact...

Comment

• Picasso
            • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Dorje View Post
            Yeah, I was thinking the sagged pants / long shirt was originally a gang look, later co-opted by rappers who want to be identified as gangsters.

I really dislike it...
            Think it's more of a time thing. Style has always shifted from baggy to fitting.

Comment

• Fuuma
              • Sep 2006

In the end this search for a "genuine" commitment in fashion (i.e. an interest in its history, practices, discourse, etc) is not needed to look sick as fuck, maybe their stylists did it, maybe they picked clothes at random, maybe they're like me and they're really interested in fashion discourse/signifiers/etc. If they were forum members I'd like them better if they had something intelligent to say but, to me, it runs parallel to dressing well and not complimentary.
              Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
              http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• casem
                • Sep 2006

C'mon, while I don't really care if a rapper wears Ann, Rick or whoever, this side by side was a pretty astute way of showing there is a way to "wear it well". In the runway photo the way the long ombre shirt emerges seamlessly from the cutaway coat with the effect echoed in the boots is pretty stunning. Even if this wasn't her best collection and ombre is a bit played out, it's far from shit. Get over your Rick myopia, how you gonna go jizz over a onesie with a poop flap and call this shit?

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
                honestly, both those looks are shit...
                music

Comment

• julian_doe
                  • Mar 2013

Originally posted by casem83 View Post
                  C'mon, while I don't really care if a rapper wears Ann, Rick or whoever, this side by side was a pretty astute way of showing there is a way to "wear it well". In the runway photo the way the long ombre shirt emerges seamlessly from the cutaway coat with the effect echoed in the boots is pretty stunning. Even if this wasn't her best collection and ombre is a bit played out, it's far from shit. Get over your Rick myopia, how you gonna go jizz over a onesie with a poop flap and call this shit?
                  Haha...I seriously couldn't agree more.

Comment

• 550BC
                    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Dorje View Post
                    Yeah, I was thinking the sagged pants / long shirt was originally a gang look, later co-opted by rappers who want to be identified as gangsters.

I really dislike it...
                    No need to dislike it, back in the day a lot of ''gangsta'' rappers were actual thugs and with a gang affiliated background or still were affiliated with their set.

If you were pointing to the new-gen rappers well they have an identity crisis all the time...

*To someone else I saw discussing this or making such statement, Street culture is not directly affiliated with Rap, a lot of Latino gangs listened to rock and heavy metal in the 90s -> MS13.
                    a fish out of water dies

Comment

• Shucks
                      • Aug 2010

to me the formality and weight of the tailored jacket clashes (not complements) completely with the top, and the ombré effect of the boots is just unneccessary and distracting - i find the whole visually jarring. too busy, too incoherent. the lines of the designs going all over the place and too many black-white contrasts and zebra stripes. there is no focus point for the eye - it's shit styling in both photos and i stand by that opinion. the garments by themselves i have no problems with, nor ann's general esthetics.
                      Last edited by Faust; 05-22-2014, 03:30 PM. Reason: let's keep it civil

Comment

• casem
                        • Sep 2006

^Hey calm down I'm being a bit tongue and cheek, we all exaggerate for comic effect no offense meant, I like you and your style. Just pointing out your and many other member's tendency to worship everything Rick does no matter how ugly while being super critical of other designers.
                        music

Comment

• apathy!
                          • Jan 2014

gotta agree with sucks on the runway pic.

There are just too many complex elements in that fit for it to work.

I think for any chance of the the ombre white-->black--white or vice versa to work, everything has to be very minimal.

Comment

• Shucks
                            • Aug 2010

^Hey calm down I'm being a bit tongue and cheek, we all exaggerate for comic effect no offense meant, I like you and your style. Just pointing out your and many other member's tendency to worship everything Rick does no matter how ugly while being super critical of other designers.
                            any alleged "tendency" is irrelevant. the styling is still shit based on the observations i make in above post.

second, what exactly are you talking about. where am i being "super critical" without basing my criticism on something valid? i can tell you that if rick owens and his team ever were to put looks like that on the runway, i would begin to spend my money elsewhere.

thirdly, i was perfectly calm.

Comment

• 550BC
                              • Jan 2013

a fish out of water dies

Comment

• apathy!
                                • Jan 2014

^

Thanks mom and dad!

Comment

Working...