Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stagename
    • Oct 2011

I know there has been some talk about the style favored by some members of this forum going mainstream, but I was on Zara website and it hit me.

Comment

• Shucks
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by stagename View Post
      I was on the Zara website
      you know we aren't meant to exist in the outside world...

Comment

• nicelynice
        • Oct 2009

In that vein, I hate the phrase "dark style" to describe such a nebulous aesthetic, which, if hashtags are to believed, encompasses everything from CCP to Paul Harnden (which is only dark if you include the faces of the chimney sweeps and miners who wore that stuff).

Comment

• Lohikaarme
          • Jul 2013

Originally posted by nicelynice View Post
          In that vein, I hate the phrase "dark style" to describe such a nebulous aesthetic, which, if hashtags are to believed, encompasses everything from CCP to Paul Harnden (which is only dark if you include the faces of the chimney sweeps and miners who wore that stuff).
          Prefer "goth-ninja"? Such hashtags and labels are more for a general public, especially if done on instagram or tumblr (for more followers or whatever). Anyhow the general term "goth" for this sort of look (nebulous or not) does work in a way for many brands seen here, including Paul Harnden, especially if we use the term "goth" to simply mean "other."

Really though, I can easily see why a general populous would want to label a few different "looks" into one label, given that those who wear one brand (i.e. CCP, etc.) often do wear the other (i.e. Paul Harnden).

Comment

• jogu
            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Lohikaarme View Post
            especially if we use the term "goth" to simply mean "other."
            idk , ive never used or known the word goth to mean "other" ; its somethin quite specific . i dont consider ccp to be goth at all , probably why i never really got into his stuff . however i totally understand how those who get into ccp can appreciate stuff i consider goth , like rick .

Comment

• apathy!
              • Jan 2014

Originally posted by stagename View Post
              I know there has been some talk about the style favored by some members of this forum going mainstream, but I was on Zara website and it hit me.

I'm glad someone posted this. I honestly don't care about this stuff at all.

all they have done is look at the work of people like Rick and from it create the most fascimile interpretation. It's not as if they've created rip-offs that you might find on a dodgy Chinese website. They have given their interpretation of more talented designers' aesthetics, and they have done a shit job.

These clothes completely lack the character that Rick puts into so much of his stuff. These are just dark drapes.

(I realise that they don't care about this at all and that this is just another cynical manifestation of moneygrabbing based around the whole d4rk r1d3r sw4g trend)

Comment

• Lohikaarme
                • Jul 2013

Originally posted by jogu View Post
                idk , ive never used or known the word goth to mean "other" ; its somethin quite specific . i dont consider ccp to be goth at all , probably why i never really got into his stuff . however i totally understand how those who get into ccp can appreciate stuff i consider goth , like rick .
                I don't particularly think it should be used like that, but I've noticed people using "goth" to mean weird/different/other/etc.

Punk and grunge bands have always been somewhat popular and have been picked up by fashion designers. Or people look at Nirvana or whatever.

Goth seems to be this overarching code for "wow everything you're wearing is black" to a lot of people. I get told I look goth even if I'm just wearing a tee, jeans, and a blazer, even if it's all black. So in that way, it seems any fit that's all black is "goth" or whatever, but if people are into J-pop (like visual kei and stuff) they'll think that whatever Harnden and CCP people aren't goth looking necessarily so suddenly it's "dark style" or "all black style" or whatever.

Anyhow I think CCP has always looked weird enough to be seen as goth even if it's not actually goth.

Comment

• 550BC
                  • Jan 2013

2 months left and nobody cares anymore, about 1.5 year ago Zara had some Helmut Lang and Wang rip offs. But "dark collection" ? Well Zara is one ignorant retailer anyway. I saw some butt face smooth guys wearing this along with a HBA shirt, Jordans, been trill hat and more crap, walking in a group like they were some kind of "dark fashion" mob... Ah its hilarious though. I saw a stand up comedy guy/presentator on TV wearing all rick wait this is a photo of him styled by a store in Rotterdam, but this is hideous and bad...

HERE
                  a fish out of water dies

Comment

• Shucks
                    • Aug 2010

thing is, the streetgoth thing itself is so loud and trendy that it's a prime target for even further dilution/dissemination. zara and their ilk may just be the force that kills streetgoth. which is kinda ironic and funny in a way:

Comment

• BlacknWhite
                      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by 550BC View Post
                      Those glasses are not working for him, not in that outfit...

Comment

• unwashed
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by 550BC View Post
                        I saw a stand up comedy guy/presentator on TV wearing all rick wait this is a photo of him styled by a store in Rotterdam, but this is hideous and bad...

HERE
                        Funny you mentioned this.. My girl told me she spotted this TV dude wearing all Rick yesterday.

I find the styling isn't bad, but a simple typical Rick fit. Actually the guy looks like a dark Kunk

The Zara inspiration is pretty clear. I think it's good that Zara can facilitate this. I can understand not all people want to spend 300$ on t-shirts and 600$ sweatpants and resort to Zara for a style they like and can experiment with it.

My brother bought this Zara hooded wintercoat which was really a complete knock-off from my Rick Owens wintercoat. I can't blame him as he likes my style, but as a student is too poor to afford RO etc. He also said that after his study, he would resort to the original designers when he makes his own money.

So I think in the end Zara and the likes could instigate people to actually find out about the real designers and people would eventually support them instead. Rick Owens also mentioned somewhere in interviews he doesn't mind being a copied.
                        Grailed link

Comment

• 550BC
                          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by unwashed View Post

The Zara inspiration is pretty clear. I think it's good that Zara can facilitate this. I can understand not all people want to spend 300$ on t-shirts and 600$ sweatpants and resort to Zara for a style they like and can experiment with it.

So I think in the end Zara and the likes could instigate people to actually find out about the real designers and people would eventually support them instead. Rick Owens also mentioned somewhere in interviews he doesn't mind being a copied.
                          I agree though, the thing is when Zara ''copies'' something they change their collection in 5/6 months and when Zara stops with it, the mass slowly stops with it, I remember about a year ago everybody was still dick riding Riccardo Tisci and now its Rick Owens, in about a few months we're done and some other designer from a whole another ''niche'' iss gonna be the ''victim'' of mass society and we can continue in peace

Yeah that's true, he used to make knock offs himself for some company in LA. before starting his own label.
                          a fish out of water dies

Comment

• Fokken
                            • Feb 2014

Designers (not necesseraly "goth" designer) -> people "in fashion" wear them clothes -> stars wear them clothes becauses of their hype stylist -> pics on Tumblr/magazines -> people starts to be interrested or finds that ugly -> 6 months later -> reinterpreted/copied by Zara/H&m -> people massbuying

thats works for slim jeans, colored chinos, colored blazer, tshirt with HIPSTER 19 wrote on the back, sweatpants,...

Comment

• newp
                              • Feb 2013

Anyway, reaction to your clothes thread is going to be filled with "oh, I didn't know you shop in Zara" phrases. This is something I've expected about 1.5 years ago when Zara was using Balmain collection for their, ugh, inspiration.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

/\ very true, haha
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎