Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 550BC
    • Jan 2013

you can cut it off the way you want it, one sleeve asymmetrical the other straight, longer/shorter etc. I dunno..you can make it more personal I suppose? besides that I like the poetic meaning behind it, but this is another story.

->escape your own way
    a fish out of water dies

Comment

• applecrisp
      • Jun 2013

I like the concept. It allows the wearer to connect to the garment.

I always loved the APOC concept and this one is kinda like a simplified version of that.

Comment

• DRRRK
        • Aug 2009

Check out the designer's thread. The clothes are meant to be unisex and this way the concept that you not only can, but have to cut the sleeves to your own preferred length is obvious. Like others said, what's behind it is quite poetic and not at all WTF worthy.

Comment

• BlacknWhite
          • Apr 2014

Poetic may be a bit of an exaggeration...

Comment

• Lohikaarme
            • Jul 2013

Originally posted by DRRRK View Post
            Check out the designer's thread. The clothes are meant to be unisex and this way the concept that you not only can, but have to cut the sleeves to your own preferred length is obvious. Like others said, what's behind it is quite poetic and not at all WTF worthy.
            You can cut the sleeves to length of any of your garments... Context in mind it's not quite WTF but it's not poetic either. It's just an interesting choice.

Comment

• Uppvakningur
              • Nov 2013

I would not reach for words like poetic, but the reaction this guy is having is silly in light of stuff like linea, where forcing the luxury consumer out of their comfort zone to personalize the clothing was done frequently and in ways that go beyond unified sleeves. Both, as someone had noted above, share the spirit with miyake's a-poc. A concept maybe a little ahead of its time since the traditional luxury consumer's definition of 'personal' often means least-accessible. As an idea, at least, a-poc was a spirited fuck you to the artisanal masturbation held in high regard on this board.

Comment

• Shucks
                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by BlacknWhite View Post
                Poetic may be a bit of an exaggeration...
                actually, the most recent manamis collection is inspired by shelley's poetry. so "poetic meaning behind it" is perfectly fitting as a description. the whole brand itself is wistful and romantic.
                Last edited by Shucks; 06-07-2014, 06:08 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• BlacknWhite
                  • Apr 2014

Yes, I should not have put it on this thread. Perhaps the random fashion thoughts thread would've been better...

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
                  actually, the most recent manamis collection is inspired by shelley's poetry. so "poetic meaning behind it" is perfectly fitting as a description. the whole brand itself is whistful and romantic.
                  Yes I'm aware of the inspiration; SZ did a post on it. However I do not see that translated to the products. Saying it was inspired by Shelley, is quite broad. There are already so many brands of a similar aesthetic. I find that shirt I posted more poetic if it wasn't cut at all, and put up for display for people to look at, and discuss.
                  If you weren't told what was the inspiration, would most actually see what was so poetic about it? what was so special about the brand compared to everything else in this niche market? I'm not knocking the brand, and saying it's shit, because it's not, but the way some of you appear to hold it in such high regard seems silly, no offense. It's like how Apple tries to make their keynote speeches about new updates to the iPhone sound revolutionary, when such updates were done by others years ago. A similar discussion was spoken of on this forum about art work in museums.

Comment

• Shucks
                    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by BlacknWhite View Post
                    Yes, I should not have put it on this thread. Perhaps the random fashion thoughts thread would've been better...

Yes I'm aware of the inspiration; SZ did a post on it. However I do not see that translated to the products. Saying it was inspired by Shelley, is quite broad. There are already so many brands of a similar aesthetic. I find that shirt I posted more poetic if it wasn't cut at all, and put up for display for people to look at, and discuss.
                    If you weren't told what was the inspiration, would most actually see what was so poetic about it? what was so special about the brand compared to everything else in this niche market? I'm not knocking the brand, and saying it's shit, because it's not, but the way some of you appear to hold it in such high regard seems silly, no offense. It's like how Apple tries to make their keynote speeches about new updates to the iPhone sound revolutionary, when such updates were done by others years ago. A similar discussion was spoken of on this forum about art work in museums.

i have personally seen the whole fall collection up close and i can tell you that in my view it is indeed 'poetic', in the way the word is used to describe demeulemeester's work (romantic, wistful, with materials, prints and details that purposefully bring to mind 18th and 19th century garments). as an esthetic it is not my personal preference, but that is beside the point.

but actually my comment was specifically about how it is correct to say the meaning (i.e. original intent of the designer) behind the design is related to poetry. then whether you see it in the execution or not, is of course completely dependent on your personal bias and interpretation of the word 'poetic'.

this is the specific poem which is part of the inspiration for the collection, by the way:

LISTEN, listen, Mary mine,
                    To the whisper of the Apennine;
                    It bursts on the roof like the thunder’s roar,
                    Or like the sea on a northern shore,
                    Heard in its raging ebb and flow
                    By the captives pent in the cave below.
                    The Apennine in the light of day
                    Is a mighty mountain dim and gray,
                    Which between the earth and sky doth lay;
                    But when night comes, a chaos dread
                    On the dim starlight then is spread,
                    And the Apennine walks abroad with the storm.

and ps. i don't see anything wtf about the shirt you posted. cutting the sleeves yourself is a nice idea.

Comment

• dji
                      • Feb 2008

perfect gym outfit, courtesy of Spence.

Comment

• ambrosian
                        • Dec 2012

^ Kind of cute really... I'd dress my kid in baby blue RO if I had one.
                        street goth extraordinaire

Comment

• Lohikaarme
                          • Jul 2013

Originally posted by dji View Post
                          perfect gym outfit, courtesy of Spence.
                          Dye it black for easy wearing?

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                            • Nov 2007

last item on the bottom lower left hand corner: https://www.byronesque.com/shop/cate...uture-vintage#

can we should change the title of this thread to "LOL" or something?

WTF feels too mean-spirited and judgmental for most of the content.
                            LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• 550BC
                              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by AKA*NYC View Post
                              last item on the bottom lower left hand corner: https://www.byronesque.com/shop/cate...uture-vintage#

can we should change the title of this thread to "LOL" or something?

WTF feels too mean-spirited and judgmental for most of the content.
                              I agree, LOL do fits better to the posts here.

You mean the 2Pac Shirt?
                              a fish out of water dies

Comment

• apathy!
                                • Jan 2014

wow that is truly perverse.

I sometimes wonder how Che Guevara would react if he could see all these university students and yuppies wearing him on their tee shirts.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎