• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by bakla View Post
    More power to him. I especially loved his Balenciaga~JCrew f**k mash posted earlier. The world needs more fashion freaks, and I mean that in a good way. You have to admire his guts for really crossing over to that bleeding edge like the Piaggis and Harlechs of the world, at any cost. He doesn't seem to be one for towing a line. The only lines he seems to like are the ones that can be crossed.
    Sorry, I had to do this to you :-)

Dying metaphors. A newly invented metaphor assists thought by evoking a visual image, while on the other hand a metaphor which is technically "dead" (e.g. iron resolution) has in effect reverted to being an ordinary word and can generally be used without loss of vividness. But in between these two classes there is a huge dump of worn-out metaphors which have lost all evocative power and are merely used because they save people the trouble of inventing phrases for themselves. Examples are: Ring the changes on, take up the cudgel for, toe the line, ride roughshod over, stand shoulder to shoulder with, play into the hands of, no axe to grind, grist to the mill, fishing in troubled waters, on the order of the day, Achilles' heel, swan song, hotbed. Many of these are used without knowledge of their meaning (what is a "rift," for instance?), and incompatible metaphors are frequently mixed, a sure sign that the writer is not interested in what he is saying. Some metaphors now current have been twisted out of their original meaning withouth those who use them even being aware of the fact. For example, toe the line is sometimes written as tow the line. Another example is the hammer and the anvil, now always used with the implication that the anvil gets the worst of it. In real life it is always the anvil that breaks the hammer, never the other way about: a writer who stopped to think what he was saying would avoid perverting the original phrase.

As far as him and others clowning around - unless they really feel that's what they like to wear - as opposed to clowning around because it pays their bills - yea, I suppose that's fine. I'm just not sure that's the case. Sure, fashion loves to keep their pet freaks around - but what of it? What do they feel as human beings?
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post

At the same time, it's kind of gross and unnerving in that creepy cross-dresser sort of way that isn't doing it in an over-the-top way but doing it in a "this-is-me" way. Not in the awesome and fun way that drag queens do it. Not to mention his look reminds me of those creepy pimply faced teenagers that wear huge animal costumes and grind all anonymously on each other at conventions. Plushies I think they are...

I just think the phrase cross-dresser is totally invalid and therefor makes your statement empty and narrowminded, maybe because gay people (like me) have had a deeper look into gender and what it really is.

For someone who like me, enjoys clothes no matter what gender they were designed for, I can't help but to feel included into the group you're mentioning even though i'm not even half as extreme as the guy pictured above.
      Have you ever considered why you find "cross-dressing" creepy?
      Does wearing clothing intended for something else give you a hard time to see the person behind it? I'm a bit tired of that way of thinking. Aren't you? This doesn't apply only to this instance, but I see a very clear line of "do's and dont's" in this forum, which is a bit disappointing for me. I came here for the happiness and creativity and many different possibilites that design offers, but some in here seem so stuck on how things "should be".

I'm tired, and maybe this post is outof place, but I was inspired. I'm not angry at anyone, so I hope I won't wake up to a flamewar.
      Perhaps I just read too much into it, and if I was, feel free to ignore. I just wanted to write this.
      I just want to make sure you're not thinking in the way I am suspecting you might be, so there's no bashing, just wondering.

Comment

• justine
        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Heirloom View Post
        but I see a very clear line of "do's and dont's" in this forum
        Yeah..., I did feel a weird un-easiness too, once or twice. I tried to get a word about it back when Rick's heels were the topic. I can't remember if they got labeled as 'cross-dressing' or 'tranny' Anyway.

to merz: homosexuality is definitely a common door towards gender-identity thinking; so I don't know why a flag should be raised immediatly if someone talks about their personal experience with that.

Comment

• Chinorlz
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Heirloom View Post
          I just think the phrase cross-dresser is totally invalid and therefor makes your statement empty and narrowminded, maybe because gay people (like me) have had a deeper look into gender and what it really is.

For someone who like me, enjoys clothes no matter what gender they were designed for, I can't help but to feel included into the group you're mentioning even though i'm not even half as extreme as the guy pictured above.
          Have you ever considered why you find "cross-dressing" creepy?
          Does wearing clothing intended for something else give you a hard time to see the person behind it? I'm a bit tired of that way of thinking. Aren't you? This doesn't apply only to this instance, but I see a very clear line of "do's and dont's" in this forum, which is a bit disappointing for me. I came here for the happiness and creativity and many different possibilites that design offers, but some in here seem so stuck on how things "should be".

I'm tired, and maybe this post is outof place, but I was inspired. I'm not angry at anyone, so I hope I won't wake up to a flamewar.
          Perhaps I just read too much into it, and if I was, feel free to ignore. I just wanted to write this.
          I just want to make sure you're not thinking in the way I am suspecting you might be, so there's no bashing, just wondering.
          No worries Heirloom! This should bring about good discussion and make people think.

I may not have come across as clearly initially as much as I had hoped.

I wanted in a way to preface my comments on Mr. Matsui here by saying that he stands alone in my mind from any other category that others may group him into.

What rubs me the wrong way about him is that he's doing it because he's what can be called an "attention crusader." He's doing it to be obnoxious at least in my mind.

I wouldn't say that there were "lines not to be crossed" on this forum in the sense that one can ONLY dress a certain way, but as with general gender "rules" there are social norms. Would you bat an eye if you saw a man walking down the street in a full-on Balenciaga gown? Absolutely. I'd applaud the pure balls to do it, but at the same time could you consider it "fashion" at that point or is it just purely for attention and honestly downright pathetic?

That is where our friend here falls in my mind. Downright pathetic. He KNOWS he looks ridiculous wearing a Prada top made to form around breasts. He's not being eclectic, styling, daring, he's just being ridiculous. THAT's what makes me dislike him.

There can be femininity in masculinity and the other way around as well. The wonderful thing is a balance of the two. Balance is key you know?
          www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• mass
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
            Would you bat an eye if you saw a man walking down the street in a full-on Balenciaga gown?
            I probably would regardless of gender.

Comment

• uparmoured
              • Sep 2007

Reminds me of this skinny asian dude here in Melbourne that just stands around the city wearing a skimpy womans top and heels...

... with Umbro soccer shorts... just standing there...
              FS: M.A+
              FS: SIZE XS ANN DEMEULEMEESTER WAISTCOAT

Comment

• unujnha
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by J_J View Post
                homeboy's werkin the fw08 prada lace

wtf the the day..
                Last edited by unujnha; 09-29-2008, 02:55 PM.
                "Man is certainly crazy. He could not make a mite, and he makes gods by the dozen."

Comment

• Chinorlz
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mass View Post
                  I probably would regardless of gender.
                  Hahaha, maybe an extreme example then ;)

how about jeans miniskirt, tank top and heels?
                  www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• DHC
                    • Jul 2007

Crazy Robertson. I'm sure all the SZ Angelinos have seen this guy on Roberston rockin' out staring at his reflection in store front windows. People used to avoid him like the plague. Now he gets a daily audience and has inspired a clothing line. WTF...only in Los Angeles.

The Crazy Robertson & Famous Stars & Straps "Boombox"
                    Originally posted by Faust
                    fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• mass
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                      Hahaha, maybe an extreme example then ;)

how about jeans miniskirt, tank top and heels?
                      can you honestly say you think he would wear that? he wears a lot of signature pieces/looks, which i think is kind of lazy (besides the point)... but my point was most of his outfits would catch my attention even if worn by a female; none of them are as generic as just a denim skirt+tanktop+heels. sure a woman in a transparent bikini would catch my attention but that's not what i mean. and anyway, save for the sandals i think he looks pretty good here:

Comment

• Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                        No worries Heirloom! This should bring about good discussion and make people think.

I may not have come across as clearly initially as much as I had hoped.

I wanted in a way to preface my comments on Mr. Matsui here by saying that he stands alone in my mind from any other category that others may group him into.

What rubs me the wrong way about him is that he's doing it because he's what can be called an "attention crusader." He's doing it to be obnoxious at least in my mind.

I wouldn't say that there were "lines not to be crossed" on this forum in the sense that one can ONLY dress a certain way, but as with general gender "rules" there are social norms. Would you bat an eye if you saw a man walking down the street in a full-on Balenciaga gown? Absolutely. I'd applaud the pure balls to do it, but at the same time could you consider it "fashion" at that point or is it just purely for attention and honestly downright pathetic?

That is where our friend here falls in my mind. Downright pathetic. He KNOWS he looks ridiculous wearing a Prada top made to form around breasts. He's not being eclectic, styling, daring, he's just being ridiculous. THAT's what makes me dislike him.

There can be femininity in masculinity and the other way around as well. The wonderful thing is a balance of the two. Balance is key you know?

Very true, and thanks for the response. What I was thinking about is a pattern i've seen with people who want to consider themselves open minded, but when they are facing a man wearing high heels for example, it doesn't seem to matter if it's well styled, but they'll think it's tacky, just because it gives them gay associations or think of cross-dressing. I'm very offended and upset when people use the word gay or tranny as something degrading stylistically. Even if I find some guys who pluck their eyebrows, use too much foundation and only dress in white tight jeans and versace shirts completely disgusting it's because of their choice of style, and not their masculinity/femininity.

What I'd love to see people use instead of masculine/feminine is
                        hard/soft, raw/treated, chunky/sleek, brutal/elegant. It would open peoples minds about how men and women can dress.

Your point being made with the clothing being made for womens shape pretty much nails it, and I agree totally, but at the same time, if you compare western tailoring where everything is sewn to fit your body contours, and japanese design where people are more keen on hiding or distorting the body, adding breasts to a man maybe shouldn't be as out there as we first think.
                        Compared to how womens clothing have been distorting their body, albeit enhancing their already naturaly given curves, it's still distorting, and menswear is less keen on playing with the shapes. It limits creativity for menswear, and is why we end up with suits and blazers most of the time. I realise that this way of thinking for mens fashion is new and unexplored, which is why people like to put a WTF label on it, but before you do, you should always try the same thing on a woman before you let your social conventions play you a trick :)

After coming this far people might think "but how will you tell women and men apart if they all dress the same?", but that's simple as bodily proportions and such still is visibl, and the risks of mistakes being made isn't more dangerous than you maybe discovering your bisexual side :)

Comment

• jcotteri
                          • Jun 2008

i think the whole outfit is interesting in a non appealing way.. i kinda like it
                          WTB: This

Comment

• jcotteri
                            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by uparmoured View Post
                            Reminds me of this skinny asian dude here in Melbourne that just stands around the city wearing a skimpy womans top and heels...

... with Umbro soccer shorts... just standing there...
                            hahahaha awesome!
                            WTB: This

Comment

• Originally posted by merz
                              this is just a sort of mental note to myself, as I am presently at the echoplex seeing mission of Burma and therefore unable to make a proper post in response, but lets not confuse or lump together homosexuality with gender-identity issues. suggesting insight into one by way of another won't get us anywhere we want to go.
                              I am not at all. I'm a man, have always been and will always be. But as justine already pointed out, someone who has been faced to really inspect and analyse the sexual aspect of themselves is more keen on questioning many other aspects.

The thing is, being a man/woman in gender is way more diffuse and flexible than having a penis/vagina, and people can't be divided into the two simply because of what they have down there, and be expected to follow the pattern everywhere else.

I feel like i'm walking to explored and looted territory, not much left to say, so i'll stop typing. I'm glad people understood my point.

Comment

• Originally posted by jcotteri View Post
                                i think the whole outfit is interesting in a non appealing way.. i kinda like it
                                word. I really really like the sandals and the necklace pleated thing, but the shirt and trousers have the wrong fit for my tastes. personally i'm gonna make a similiar necklace.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎