X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alesha
    • Apr 2009

Persona by Ingmar Bergman (?)

Truly fascinating movie that left me with more questions than answers to them.
    Originally posted by interest1
    I'm pulling you off my friends list if you don't put down the vodka.

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
      • Mar 2009

merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• baizilla
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by HWith View Post
        I just finnished watching Cannibal Holocaust by Ruggero Deodato and it was a huge disappointment. It was supposed to be one of the most repugnant movies ever to be made, but to be honest I didn't feel anything at all watching it. Aesthetically it wasn't very interesting either, and the acting was bad. I did like the soundtrack though, it worked very well throughout the movie. Next I'm watching 'Salò or 120 days of Sodom' by Pasolini and 'Irreversible' by Gaspar Noé, of which I'm especially looking forward to the first one.
        I felt the same watching Cannibal Holocaust, heard so much about it, but I guess what people find repugnant about the movie is the way it is filmed.. it is very convincing. Irréversible leaves you with a way worse feeling.. especially the opening scene.

Comment

• HWith
          • May 2007

Originally posted by baizilla View Post
          I felt the same watching Cannibal Holocaust, heard so much about it, but I guess what people find repugnant about the movie is the way it is filmed.. it is very convincing. Irréversible leaves you with a way worse feeling.. especially the opening scene.
          Actually I think it is just the graphical gore that people find repugnant/repulsive, but the internet made me immune to that years ago. You can find much worse real footage online, so why would a movie affect me? Except from the actual animal killings (especially the turtle) which were quite tough to watch at times. I think much of e.g. A Clockwork Orange is more repugnant than Cannibal Holocaust in spite of being less graphic. It is the absurdity and the soundtrack and the 'feeling' of the movie that gets you. Cannibal Holocaust is too "in your face" for me, I had a "Oh well" feeling after watching it. It didn't really get to me. Yes, I think I'm going to watch Irréversible or Salo tonight, can't wait.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Irreversible is so fucked up. I did not find enough good qualities in it to redeem the overwhelming violence. I remember talking about it with Fuuma, and he seemed to think that the graphic nature of the film was justified, but I don't remember why.

I don't think I want to watch Salo.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• galia
              • Jun 2009

I just watched Brother by Takeshi Kitano. The man is one of the very best directors alive. I especially love how everything about this movie is so understated and casual : the violence, the feelings... Plus the images are incredibly beautiful and it's funny as hell

Comment

• josef_k
                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by galia View Post
                I just watched Brother by Takeshi Kitano. The man is one of the very best directors alive. I especially love how everything about this movie is so understated and casual : the violence, the feelings... Plus the images are incredibly beautiful and it's funny as hell
                I loved that movie. I'll never forget this scene from it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgjDYR6-DTU (oh yeah, spoiler alert). Watching it as a kid; Kitano grew something like an idol after that movie hah. Now I am more grown up and moved on to Toshiro Mifune. Way cooler.

I saw Lars von Trier's antichrist some days ago. Still got mixed feelings about it but I loved the atmosphere, reminded me of Lynch in a way (and seeing Dafoe's dingdong a couple of times did not hurt).

Comment

• galia
                  • Jun 2009

Did Toshiro Mifune also direct ? I only know him as an actor in Kurosawa's films. Can you recomend any movies? I'm a big fan of his as well

Comment

• Alesha
                    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    Irreversible is so fucked up. I did not find enough good qualities in it to redeem the overwhelming violence. I remember talking about it with Fuuma, and he seemed to think that the graphic nature of the film was justified, but I don't remember why.

I don't think I want to watch Salo.
                    Irreversible was actually pretty boring, and in my opinion counts far too heavily on violence and rape scene to achieve any effect whatsoever.

Salo on other hand was not quite so graphical either. It is the unemotional biomass sadism.

Comment

• Jonn
                      • Mar 2008

^second that. i actually found it difficult to focus on the latter half of the movie.

I like I stand alone(Seul contre tous) a lot. its convincing and natural. lead actor did a splendid job, and the camera work and plot are firm and precise the movie had me hooked till the very end.

Comment

• snafu
                        • Apr 2008

Give irreversible another chance i have watched it a few times and you pick up bits you may have not noticed the first or second time

one thing ( i don't want to give it away ): many people will know what im speaking about, leaves you with a huge shock a simple twist you only really notice if your paying attention to who the characters are and what happens to them. This little twist kind of defines the film for me and really leaves you with some questions.

Sure its not a pleasant watch but i don't find films with graphics hard to watch, i found there will be blood harder to watch due to the pace, length, the noise, and slow camera shots: these things i find more straining and uncomfortable than simple violence.

Originally posted by Alesha View Post
                        Irreversible was actually pretty boring, and in my opinion counts far too heavily on violence and rape scene to achieve any effect whatsoever.

Salo on other hand was not quite so graphical either. It is the unemotional biomass sadism.

Comment

• snafu
                          • Apr 2008

Right now im giving enduring love another go,
                          But really im wanting to watch the apprentice.

Comment

• Alesha
                            • Apr 2009

I believe the catharsis of Irreversible comes far too early, and makes the continued watching a slow emotional decline into sleep. I literary fell asleep closer to the end, when I was watching it (It was very late and I have a very cozy warm couch).

So perhaps I need to give it another re-run!

Comment

• Diego
                              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Alesha View Post
                              Persona by Ingmar Bergman (?)

Truly fascinating movie that left me with more questions than answers to them.

Comment

• klangspiel
                                • Apr 2007

alain cavalier . la rencontre

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡