X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SuE
    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Scmick Schmowens View Post
    can someone explain to me how they plan to make a sequel? In some interview, the show runners were like, "we could make series after series, in any genre-- true western, true sci, whatever" -- I'm paraphrasing, but that was the gist. Anyone know what the heck they mean??
    Each series will be standalone with new leads. The only connecting thread is that the show will be about a pair of detectives. So it could be detectives in the future (scifi) or detectives in the past (western). Recent rumors say the next season will have female detectives
    One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

• eleves
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by rickandjulius View Post
      Currently watching Breaking Bad because I'm behind the curve and watch everything after it's ended. (Dexter and what not.)
      Haha welcome to Breaking Bad! I think it's one of the better shows of the past few years. I see its influence in many new shows now revolving around this whole anti hero movement that's happening.

I just finished season 2 of House of Cards and it's not bad
      Originally posted by Faust
      HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Breaking Bad - having watched the whole thing and being exhausted by the end my take away that it's most genius in the way it's filmed.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Scmick Schmowens
          • Jul 2012

Originally posted by SuE View Post
          Each series will be standalone with new leads. The only connecting thread is that the show will be about a pair of detectives. So it could be detectives in the future (scifi) or detectives in the past (western). Recent rumors say the next season will have female detectives
          Thanks for the explanation. Seems a pretty damned thin concept to base a series on, but hey, I'll give the sequel a chance.

Comment

• SuE
            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Scmick Schmowens View Post
            Thanks for the explanation. Seems a pretty damned thin concept to base a series on, but hey, I'll give the sequel a chance.
            The showrunner is a novelist:

Before that, where did you get the idea to do this and to specifically do an anthology?

Nic Pizzolatto: It was a combination of a couple of things. In the summer of 2010, I was working on a version of “True Detective” that I was thinking might be my next novel, and it was told in these two first-person voices; Cohle and Hart's voices. They just alternated chapters, telling the story of their 17-year partnership. It was a lot different. There was a lot of changes in that one and it was going to be a massive book, but when I became interested in breaking into television, I began to think how it might play as a television show and that it might actually work better as a television show, given the time shifts and the amount of cues simply having a visual image affords you. In July of 2010, I wrote six scripts, and one of them was the pilot for “True Detective.” I just held on to it for a while until I knew enough and we were in a position to go out and sell it so that we could be assured of making it the way we wanted.

The anthology idea came from a couple of things. I enjoy a third act and I like stories with ending. A lot of my frustration with serialized storytelling is a lot of shows don't have a third act. They have an endless second act, and then they find out it's their last year and often have to hustle to invest a third act, but they were never necessarily organically meaning to to begin with. So I wanted to tell something with a complete story, with a beginning, a middle, and an end. And a way a lot of those anthology programs from the previous golden age of television influenced me was that we might be able to tap in to real cinematic talent if the material's good enough. Most television shows are going to require an actor sign up from four to six years, but an anthology show really amounts to five or six months at the most. I thought serious actors might be attracted to that. In cinema, the opportunities for them to do serious adult work are just disappearing day by day, so if they're not interested in playing a superhero, I thought this might be a place where they can come do something that really interested them and engage their craft. In a kind of long-form storytelling, the movie actors don't get to experience a lot of but without requiring the commitments of them that television usually requires, the multi-year contract thing.
            I like anthologies actually as too many other USA tv shows are tempted to artificially extend the storyline too long just because the first season was a hit.
            One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

• 550BC
              • Jan 2013

Are there any Sons of Anarchy watchers here? when will the last season air? season 7.
              a fish out of water dies

Comment

• BSR
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by 550BC View Post
                Are there any Sons of Anarchy watchers here? when will the last season air? season 7.
                when will your first classifieds season air? in 14 posts or never ?
                pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• 550BC
                  • Jan 2013

Originally posted by BSR View Post
                  when will your first classifieds season air? in 14 posts or never ?
                  nothing to sell;) would you mind?
                  Last edited by 550BC; 04-27-2014, 06:05 AM.
                  a fish out of water dies

Comment

• Tolley
                    • Apr 2014

Oh man, I completely forgot I have to catch up on SOA. I loved the first 5 seasons.
                    Finally started Boardwalk Empire after people telling me I needed to see it since I love violence. So far so good. Steve Buscemi can't do anything wrong.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

/\ Agreed, although a strange reason to watch anything. Signature material alert.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mikko
                        • Apr 2013

I guess SOA has had some good seasons.

Comment

• deltapie
                          • Feb 2014

Vikings has to be the best program the History channel has ever put out, and its not even historically accurate (granted most of their crap isn't). It's been an outstandingly bloody second season.
                          "Keep Mr. Saberi healthy — he knows too much

Comment

• 550BC
                            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by deltapie View Post
                            Vikings has to be the best program the History channel has ever put out, and its not even historically accurate (granted most of their crap isn't). It's been an outstandingly bloody second season.
                            I even prefer Vikings above GoT now, glad they announced a season 3
                            a fish out of water dies

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by 550BC View Post
                              I even prefer Vikings above GoT now, glad they announced a season 3
                              Unpossible.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• 550BC
                                • Jan 2013

Haha! Maybe I say that because I haven't watched season 4 yet...need to make time for that, but for now Vikings is so good! Of course GoT got a deeper storyline. If you like GoT and Spartacus = Vikings is your thing
                                a fish out of water dies

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎