X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Finished Homeland in about a month. I liked it. It's like The Game of Thrones but today - in politics nobody wins.

I also realized that I quite like being late to pretty much every good show (except GoT), so I can watch them all at once.

Never thought I'd say this but today's TV easily trumps cinema as intelligent entertainment.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• finite-
      • Dec 2014

aguirre the wrath of god. top tier soundtrack by popol vuh, great acting from kinski

Comment

• Verdandi
        • Mar 2012

lavender menace

Comment

• SuE
          • Jan 2013

I'm watching Golden Globes tonight on the off-chance the surprise nomination for Gina Rodriguez results in a well deserved win.

Originally posted by BSR View Post
          Question to the members from the US: do you have any example of innovative TV programs recently (might be new forms of documentary, talk show, news braodcasting... anything new and interesting) on an american channel?

(working on a research right now and would be very interested to know what's happening in the States... thanks in advance)
          Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

Originally posted by Jtothewhat View Post
          Recently found out that 'Utopia' is not going to be having a third series.. Might be old news for some but I was quite disappointed as I thought the first two made for some of the best and certainly the most unique television I've watched, at least in recent history.
          Yes, very odd and disappointing. Channel 4 even refused to allow the creator a christmas special episode to give the show a proper finale. There's an american remake in the works but I'm not looking forward to it.

Originally posted by Jtothewhat View Post
          Was overall quite disappointed in the 'new crop' of TV shows this fall, but still have yet to give 'Transparent' a try, but have heard mostly good things. I like Tambor and the concept seems somewhat interesting.. has anyone gotten into it yet?

Also ended up watching a Korean TV show that was recommended to me (미생, Misaeng, eng. Incomplete Life), and have been quite surprised.. generally have found most Korean/Japanese dramas to be over the top, campy, and a little melodramatic for my taste ..but Misaeng takes a much more realistic approach and attempts to display the brutality of Korean corporate culture from the perspective of somebody entering a trading as an Intern and attempting to work his way up. Has some melodramatic moments but overall quite well done and informative for anyone who might have an interest in Korean culture.
          Have you seen Jane the Virgin?

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          Finished Homeland in about a month. I liked it. It's like The Game of Thrones but today - in politics nobody wins.

I also realized that I quite like being late to pretty much every good show (except GoT), so I can watch them all at once.

Never thought I'd say this but today's TV easily trumps cinema as intelligent entertainment.
          The 'Golden Age' of Television has been great for intelligent entertainment but there's still not the experimental fare that can be found in cinema (e.g. Birdman)
          One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Started re-watching The Wire. Still easily the best show ever made.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• SuE
              • Jan 2013

Started re-watching The Wire. Still easily the best show ever made.
              Are you watching the new HD version?

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Whatever is on HBO GO. I think so.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• SuE
                  • Jan 2013

Whatever is on HBO GO. I think so.
                  There are some changes.

I'll set aside a long weekend soon for my own rewatch

Comment

• Defender
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2015

The Amazon series Transparent is amazing. Jeffrey Tambor and Judith Light are obviously old pros, and the rest of the cast is great, too. It's very funny, sad, dark, and uplifting at the same time. It won a golden globe for best series and for Jeffrey Tambor, so it has legit awards, too. If you haven't seen it, you're missing out.

Comment

• Resonkuken
                      • Oct 2012

From sheer boredom I started watching Downton Abbey on Netflix. It took me 20 seconds to get hooked; as soon as the music started I knew I loved the show. Ended up binge watching all 3 seasons available. It´s like a soap opera, if soaps were amazingly well acted, with huge production values and great actors.
                      And yesterday I started with House of Cards. It had been on my queue for months and finally decided to give it a go. Absolutely loved it, has such a dark tone, very in line with most fincher movies and Kevin Spacey kills it.

Comment

• deadboy
                        • Jul 2013

Fiancee has indicated she's finally up for watching Twin Peaks on Netflix. Kyle MacLachlan just said he's in for the new series. Timing could not be better.

Comment

• d'avant-garde
                          • Sep 2013

Just watched American Sniper, great movie great acting. Although I can't totally agree on glorifying a sniper, granted they did so "for my freedom"

Comment

• eleves
                            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Resonkuken View Post
                            From sheer boredom I started watching Downton Abbey on Netflix. It took me 20 seconds to get hooked; as soon as the music started I knew I loved the show. Ended up binge watching all 3 seasons available. It´s like a soap opera, if soaps were amazingly well acted, with huge production values and great actors.
                            And yesterday I started with House of Cards. It had been on my queue for months and finally decided to give it a go. Absolutely loved it, has such a dark tone, very in line with most fincher movies and Kevin Spacey kills it.
                            House of Cards is pretty good, never thought that I'd like a show remotely involved with politics but hey, I was pleasantly surprised. I gave Homeland a chance and I ended up liking that too. My girlfriend loves Downton Abbey and while it really does not seem like something that I'd ever want to watch: I literally don't stop hearing good things about it. I can tell you for sure that I didn't expect to see anything about it on this site and I'm definitely more inclined to give it a chance.
                            Last edited by eleves; 02-06-2015, 11:54 AM.
                            Originally posted by Faust
                            HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

I started reading Sherlock Holmes with my daughter. What are some of the good screen adaptations? And don't tell me it's that BBC garbage that's on now. I am talking real period pieces that do the stories justice.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• supercilious
                                • Apr 2014

I started reading Sherlock Holmes with my daughter....
                                I've always been partial to the British 80's version with Jeremy Brett. They seem fairly accurate compared to the books that I've read, plus Jeremy Brett is pretty stellar. I *think* that they're all on netflix, but don't take me for my word on that.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎