X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Resonkuken
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    I started reading Sherlock Holmes with my daughter. What are some of the good screen adaptations? And don't tell me it's that BBC garbage that's on now. I am talking real period pieces that do the stories justice.
    But, but... benedict cumberbatch

Ian Mckellen is soon to appear in "Mr. Holmes", playing the detective in his old age, tackling with one last case. I don´t know about faithful adaptions of his work on the big screen.

eleves, I never thought I´d get into Downton Abbey. Heard so many people raving about it but couldn´t imagine myself watching... and they I did and got hooked. It´s very easy to do that with netflix.
    And I´m very excited for HoC season 3 at the end of the month. How much more conniving will (could) it get?!!

Comment

• MJRH
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by supercilious View Post
      I've always been partial to the British 80's version with Jeremy Brett. They seem fairly accurate compared to the books that I've read, plus Jeremy Brett is pretty stellar. I *think* that they're all on netflix, but don't take me for my word on that.
      Second! One thing further, Faust, a few of the episodes are 'darker,' because the show stays so true-to-the-books that it doesn't shy away from Holmes's morphine habit. But I watched it all as a kiddie, and I turned out just fine (?). Give em a try! The only thing supercilious got definitely wrong was the 'pretty' in his description of Brett's portrayal.

PS if they're not on Netflix, they are on Youtube.
      ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Just finished watching Generation Kill. Absolutely phenomenal portrayal of the Iraq war, sad and gripping.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• wildinthewoods
          • Feb 2014

I started reading Sherlock Holmes with my daughter. What are some of the good screen adaptations? And don't tell me it's that BBC garbage that's on now. I am talking real period pieces that do the stories justice.
          I watched all the old Basil Rathbone ones with my dad as a kid, but the Hound of Baskervilles one scared me for a long time.

Comment

• trentk
            • Oct 2010

Does anyone have recommendations for interior or furniture design documentaries? (Aside from the new Eileen Gray one).
            "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

"Objectified"? I don't know if it's any good though. And I know there was one on Eames. Also, don't know if it's good.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ahn
                • Jul 2012

Just watched the first episode of The Knick (a medical drama set in NYC 1900 starring Clive Owen).

I found the first ten minutes brilliantly unsettling (maybe because it was quite graphic and I was eating at the time)... one hopes kind of instant impact will bode well for a series. Maybe someone who has seen the series in full can comment?
                some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.

Comment

• BSR
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by ahn View Post
                  Just watched the first episode of The Knick (a medical drama set in NYC 1900 starring Clive Owen).

I found the first ten minutes brilliantly unsettling (maybe because it was quite graphic and I was eating at the time)... one hopes kind of instant impact will bode well for a series. Maybe someone who has seen the series in full can comment?
                  I have. Not sure it will answer your question but here are my thoughts on the knick:
                  -it's a really interesting play on genre, mixing the medical series with the historical novel, with a hint of social description. It's like House meets Boardwalk Empire meets The Wire.
                  -its subject is both very original and clever: it tells the story of a major change in medicine. At some point medicine becomes driven by technoscience. The relationship doctor-patient becomes secondary, what matters to doctors is to make discoveries and to develop innovative tools for cure. It has a paradoxical consequence: medicine becomes less human but also more democratic. In my opinion this way of dealing with History is new on tv, extremely modern and promising.
                  -technically it's impressive, Soderberg has realised all the episodes in an agitated, narrow (a lot of close shots), chiaroscuro aesthetics that expresses the disturbed consciousness of the main character and is only interrupted by the surgery scenes that are graphic as you say, even in the sense of "fake". Surgery is no more operating on a person, it operates on a body that is only seen as a complex of organs. I think the idea is to make these scenes both gore and abstract to reflect the main subject (medicine is no more an art but a science).
                  -Clive Owens is amazing.
                  pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                  Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                    • Sep 2006

The Knick is a great series. They spent a LOT of time focusing on making much of it period correct. As a surgeon, I'm really impressed by how accurate they've made much of the operating sequences and the implementation of original equipment and technique.

Turn-of-the-century New York was a pretty gnarly, dark place and they definitely stuck with it. Looking forward to the return of the show.
                    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Mezeinee
                      • Apr 2015

I have a Belgian mystery/thriller to recommend:

Borgman

Last edited by Mezeinee; 06-17-2015, 07:00 AM. Reason: Video link did not work.
                      https://t.me/pump_upp

Comment

• darkbydesign
                        • Sep 2010

Just finished watching Generation Kill. Absolutely phenomenal portrayal of the Iraq war, sad and gripping.

^^ Totally agree with this. I thought it was extremely well done, the perfect cast and probably the best series I've ever seen on a similar topic.

Comment

• Alesha
                          • Apr 2009

Rewatched Seventh Seal recently. Amazing if you have not seen it yet:

HTML Code:
                          <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/f4yXBIigZbg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                          Originally posted by interest1
                          I'm pulling you off my friends list if you don't put down the vodka.

Comment

• Mezeinee
                            • Apr 2015

Oh, my roommate told me about that series. Thank you so much for posting it here. I also love it. The story, the setting, the aesthetic. I find it very enjoyable!

Comment

• Mezeinee
                              • Apr 2015

Try watching something new, like 'Flight of the Conchords'.

Unfortunately they only made two seasons of it. However, the director of that show also makes movies. I highly recommend his movie 'Boy'. The director's name is Taika Waititi.

Comment

• MJRH
                                • Nov 2006

^also good lighthearted fun by him:

to keep this tv-related...

ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰