X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kira
    • Mar 2008

Re: Deutscheland

so jumping on Faust's information band wagon here[51] what about Hannover? I am going the last week of August for about 5 days and then to Berlin for two, I think... All of the Berlin info is great. Will check out those hotels. I definitely want to check out the Darklands as well. We fly into Berlin and were told to drive into Hannover instead of flying as well...</p>

</p>

Side note: Faust are you only going to Germany in October? I will be in London in October and maybe traveling a little...
    </p>
    Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Re: Deutscheland

[quote user="philip nod"]you can also gamble on the the 37th floor which is a really depressing experience. i blew a 100 euros in 20 minutes against wicked BJ dealers. there was a suit dress code but i beat the odds by bringing that "my best purchase" dior suit. nothing beats losing while looking sharp.
      [/quote]</p>

Hmmm, 100 euros for a 20 min BJ... Baller?!</p>

Thanks, everyone!</p>
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Bump. Will be in Berlin mid-January. Please file hotel recommendations (preferably under 100eur a night) and things to do, see, and eat here.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• spiral jetty
          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          to do, see, and eat here.
          if you want to take a look on the oh so vivid gallery scene - than maybe this might be of interest:

at least three supposedly good shows will open by mid of january

wade guyton at capitain petzel gallery (karl-marx-allee)
          jutta koether at daniel buchholz (fasanenstraße, just off ku'damm)
          dominik sittig at christian nagel (rosa-luxemburg-platz/mitte)

and one should still be on display, josephine pryde's "therapie thank you thank you" at md 72 (mehringdamm 72/x-berg, the depandance of neu gallery) is it miyake garments she took her recent series of phtographs from?

german food with southern accent, not over sophisticated but of quite good quality and reasonable price is served at florian (grohlmannstraße close to savigny)

pretty precisely the 'west berlin' old school way can be checked out at diener/tattersall. brown walls darkened through generations of smokers, actors' fotos on the wall, typical, not all too good 'local' cuisine. (also grohlmannstraße, but southwards from savigny).

and could be worth checking some post-x-mas-sales.

have fun.

Comment

• jumpoff
            • Jan 2008

Bump. Will be in Berlin mid-January. Please file hotel recommendations (preferably under 100eur a night) and things to do, see, and eat here.
            I stayed at Circus Hotel in Mitte the last time I was in Berlin. Very happy with the hotel. Single room can be had from 70 eur.

Comment

• lowrey
              ventiundici
              • Dec 2006

Circus is good, often full though.

Another good cheap place is Hotel Otto, just stayed here a month ago for 80€ a night. its in Charlottenburg (near Harvey's), 100 metres from a metro station that takes you to straight to Mitte/Alexanderplatz and 400m from a station that goes to Hauptbahnhof (nearest station to Darklands).
              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Bosozoku
                • Sep 2008

For an unparalelled fomer DDR-experience, try OSTEL in Friedrichshain:

This high quality, DA53 domain, first registered in 2016 is for sale for &#8364;3000. Buy it Now or Make an Offer!

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Found this through Tablet hotels, which always seems to have good recs. But theaddict told me that I am a total loser for staying in this boring bourgeois enclave and that all the action is in the east, which I, a former Soviet Union expat, firmly believe. Lowrey, is that in the same area where you stayed? And I know Harvey has a stash of serious PH gear that dates all the way from the Victorian era in his dungeons - so I figure I just tunnel through the basement and take it all.

What about renting an apartment? Is that a good option, like in Paris?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Is Prenzlauer a good area to stay in? Seems like a lot of apartments for rent there.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• spiral jetty
                      • Oct 2010

Is Prenzlauer a good area to stay in? Seems like a lot of apartments for rent there.

prenzlauer is pretty touristy/adult oriented for grown up creativ industry families theses days and therefore rather soso to hang out.
                      nightlife pretty much happens in the east and centers around the border between neukölln and kreuzberg mostly, maybe a bit all too studenty round there.
                      in case you'd find something around cottbusser tor there are quite nice spots like möbel olfe, paloma bar, excellent turkish and not so bad italian food.
                      in general former western parts of the city foodwise preferable.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Yeah, Turkish food in Germany is a must try. Recommend me some good spots! I have quite a few Turkish immigrants and Turkish places in my hood, so it'd be nice to compare.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• spiral jetty
                          • Oct 2010

Yeah, Turkish food in Germany is a must try. Recommend me some good spots! I have quite a few Turkish immigrants and Turkish places in my hood, so it'd be nice to compare.
                          quite decent is 'defne' at the planufer not far from kottbusser tor, in southern direction next to the canal.
                          around kottbusser, northwards on adalbertstraße, is an all time classic, 'hasir', and right around the corner on oranienstraße is such an amazing turkish bakery - what a delight.
                          kitchenwise i personally am pretty much for keeping it real - so 'ergün balikci' might not be of everyone's taste but i'd say it's worth checking out once you are into fish and a non bullshit policy. all super basic (or rough even) but great, the sardines for example, or grilled dorada and simple salad, and the realreal turks take it with a bottle of raki instead of wine... ergün is off paulstraße at joachim karnatz allee between s-train-station bellevue and the new central station.
                          in fact not too far from where the new darklands spot is.
                          there are dozens more nor did i mention the libanese grill houses as 'el reda' yet but the aforementioned i would call evergreen favorites of mine.

on fridays, just opposite of darklands, is the 'tape' club. not as exstatic as the ordinary berlin idea of 4/4-clubbing but great sound system and rather good bookings.

Comment

• lowrey
                            ventiundici
                            • Dec 2006

Found this through Tablet hotels, which always seems to have good recs. But theaddict told me that I am a total loser for staying in this boring bourgeois enclave and that all the action is in the east, which I, a former Soviet Union expat, firmly believe. Lowrey, is that in the same area where you stayed? And I know Harvey has a stash of serious PH gear that dates all the way from the Victorian era in his dungeons - so I figure I just tunnel through the basement and take it all.

What about renting an apartment? Is that a good option, like in Paris?
                            that place seems to be even a bit further out west, not sure if there is much around there. Charlottenburg is a posh area, pretty quiet and doesn't necessarily have the same character as many other neighborhoods, but a comfortable place to stay and pretty easy access to anywhere around town. Mitte is the equivalent to soho in nyc, I imagine locals don't find it very pleasant any more, but there are a couple of stores worth visiting and some nice places to eat.

I'm the type of loser that doesn't really do nightlife etc when I travel, so I'm not very good with that sort of stuff

oh, and apartments are a good option. I've stayed at OTA-Apartments (good location between prenzlauer and mitte), I think Circus Hotel/Hostel also has apartments.
                            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Mikevigar
                              • Jan 2010

slightly hijacking this thread too, but also going to Berlin in mid Jan with the gf so would really appreciate some suggestions of where to eat/drink as the suggestions I got from here for NYC were fantastic.

Also, the gf is rather unusual and likes ghosty/ghoul things, I've seen you can do a few tours of the old bunkers and stuff - anyone got any feedback on things like that.

Comment

• sargon97
                                • Jan 2009

Updating thread to ask for any recommendation for Hotel and or food etc. in Munich and Salzburg. Seems like most stuff I have found on this forum center around Berlin.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎