Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saks profits fall again - still don't want to hire Faust as head menswear buyer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • reborn
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    Neiman Marcus Reports $12.9M Profit

Neiman Marcus Reports $12.9M Profit
    by Evan Clark
    Posted Wednesday December 10, 2008
    From WWD.COM
    Add Note
    Neiman Marcus Inc. did what many of its competitors failed to in the most-recent quarter — post a profit.

Still it was only a partial victory, as earnings for the luxe retailer’s fiscal first quarter fell 83.6 percent to $12.9 million from $78.8 million, when results were propped up by a $32.5 million pension gain.

Sales for the three months ended Nov. 1 dropped 12.9 percent to $985.8 million from $1.13 billion as comparable-store sales decreased by 14.5 percent.

Like most other retailers, Neiman’s reined in its spending as consumer spending slowed, the economy worsened and Wall Street went into panic mode. Capital expenditures in the quarter fell to $33 million from $46 million a year earlier.
    It's not surprising. They have a very well defined customer base (however tasteless they may seem IMO). Still, if you walk into the NM in Boston during the week, it's a total ghost town...and the same is true for the new store in Natick. Kudos to NM...the only merch on sale there: ugly Prada Sport sneakers and rubbery Ferragamo laceups.

Comment

• Sombre
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by reborn View Post
      It's not surprising. They have a very well defined customer base (however tasteless they may seem IMO). Still, if you walk into the NM in Boston during the week, it's a total ghost town...and the same is true for the new store in Natick. Kudos to NM...the only merch on sale there: ugly Prada Sport sneakers and rubbery Ferragamo laceups.
      You're right. I bloody hate the NM in Boston. The sportswear racks are filled with total rubbish whose only appeal I believe is its name. Gucci, Prada, Dolce and Gabbana, Juicy Couture. That sums it up.

I'm guessing there are hidden gems, but it's a double-edged sword. I don't have the time to find them, but if they weren't hidden, they'd probably cease to be gems.

Anyway, to get back on topic, good to see someone post fourth quarter profits. Probably a decent number of stores I'd expect, especially given the massive sales. Recession or not, people still want their LV monogrammed coin purse and their novacheck rain boots for Christmas.
      An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
      I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• reborn
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SombreResplendence View Post
        You're right. I bloody hate the NM in Boston. The sportswear racks are filled with total rubbish whose only appeal I believe is its name. Gucci, Prada, Dolce and Gabbana, Juicy Couture. That sums it up.

I'm guessing there are hidden gems, but it's a double-edged sword. I don't have the time to find them, but if they weren't hidden, they'd probably cease to be gems.

Anyway, to get back on topic, good to see someone post fourth quarter profits. Probably a decent number of stores I'd expect, especially given the massive sales. Recession or not, people still want their LV monogrammed coin purse and their novacheck rain boots for Christmas.
        you forgot DSquared2...I think that store (NM boston) does more business in the suit department than any of the fashion stuff. Have you been to the Natick Collection? What a total waste!!! That place is always empty and retailers pulled out of leases just leaving the location vacant. It's sad.

Bottega Veneta isn't even worth visiting as it's the size of a hallway closet.

Comment

• Sombre
          • Jan 2009

you forgot DSquared2...I think that store (NM boston) does more business in the suit department than any of the fashion stuff. Have you been to the Natick Collection? What a total waste!!! That place is always empty and retailers pulled out of leases just leaving the location vacant. It's sad.

Bottega Veneta isn't even worth visiting as it's the size of a hallway closet.
          I haven't been to the Natick Collection. I'd have to make a day of it and haven't found the time. That's a shame about the retailers. I heard NM was closing its Natick location, which would be horrible because it's supposed to be one of the anchor stores, isn't it?

What you say about Bottega Veneta is disappointing. That's one of the stores I wanted to see because I like Maier's work.
          An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
          I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• reborn
            • Aug 2008

It is sad (the pics are in WTF thread):

Consumers of the World Unite
            By ERIC WILSON
            Published: January 8, 2009
            Saks Fifth Avenue uses Soviet-inspired art in its spring marketing campaign, inspired by the bold graphic designs and propaganda spirit of Constructivist art.

I couldn't make this up even if I tried.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

This does call for some Cyrillic. долбаёбы.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                • Nov 2007

It is sad (the pics are in WTF thread):

Consumers of the World Unite
                By ERIC WILSON
                Published: January 8, 2009
                Saks Fifth Avenue uses Soviet-inspired art in its spring marketing campaign, inspired by the bold graphic designs and propaganda spirit of Constructivist art.

I couldn't make this up even if I tried.
                hmmm this is pretty slick stuff if you ask me. shepard fairey is laughing himself all the way to the luxury box at the obama inauguration...
                LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Saks fired 1000 people this week.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• sbw4224
                    • Sep 2006

Nieman Marcus also laid off 375 workers.

Comment

• reborn
                      • Aug 2008

excerpt from ntyimes:

"...Saks is making cuts in other areas, too, including travel, marketing, information technology, procurement and distribution and logistics. The company said it was lowering its planned capital expenditures to about $60 million (less than half of its projected 2008 level). It is also aiming to trim the inventory it receives this year by 20 percent."

Goodbye designer collections, hello Theory & Hugo Boss.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

/\ God, I hope so. I just don't want to even be tempted to walk in there.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• sbw4224
                          • Sep 2006

On a Theory note, in today's WWD there was an article on Fast Retailing's (Uniqlo) interest purchasing the rest of Theory. I think they own about 30% as of now. I just can't see how that brand is profitable...

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

No one can, sbw. It's basically overpriced Banana Republic. You'd think this would be the hardest hit brand in this recession...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Casius
                              • Dec 2006

I've also read a rumor about Isthimar maybe looking to sell Barneys.

Weird things seem to happen in this state of economy.
                              "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

From WWD: "Tod’s SpA chairman Diego Della Valle has doubled his investment in Saks Inc. in the past month and now owns 5.9 percent of its common shares."

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎