X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kira
    • Mar 2008

Kira goes Hannover

So I am going to Hannover on Sunday and coming back on the 1st. Is anyone around there this week? I am thinking maybe to go to Berlin for one day too, but wont know until I get there... Should prove to be interesting.

http://www.hannover.de/hannover_goes..._en/index.html

Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.
  • orphée
    • Apr 2008

Re: Kira goes Hannover

If you have some spare time and the weather is
    nice, be sure to go on one of the self-guided 'cultural walks' through the
    parks, etc. (by all means skipping the uber-ugly high street area). If you opt
    out of Berlin, Hamburg is a relatively short train trip away (some interesting
    shopping as well, particularly for women, if memory serves.

Comment

• kira
      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by orphée View Post
      If you have some spare time and the weather is
      nice, be sure to go on one of the self-guided 'cultural walks' through the
      parks, etc. (by all means skipping the uber-ugly high street area). If you opt
      out of Berlin, Hamburg is a relatively short train trip away (some interesting
      shopping as well, particularly for women, if memory serves.
      uber-ugly high street area. you were not kidding. it is like walking through a huge outdoor shopping mall and not good. did walk a bit around and see a great old church, has a pentagram on one side of the tower, so trying to find the story about it. took a few pictures but most of the buildings are that plain 50's style, rebuilt after the war. want to go to the gardens but the weather has been grey every day but I have become quite familiar with the beer

Comment

• kira
        • Mar 2008

hannover goes hells angels harley

For my lovely last day here, i went walking to see all of the Hannover goes Fashion exhibits , other than Helmut Lang's at the Kestner Gesellschaft (beautiful place, great shows and program). It was the best of course and did not have much to do with fashion at all. Did see a few interesting fashion pieces created by not sure who, it was not marked, in a smaller museum space and that was the only other interesting thing worthwhile, will find it out, but was not allowed to take pics there.
        On a more fun note, there is a Hells Angels Harley Davidson 'gathering' this weekend so the bikers went on a ride throughout the city and that was funny to see. And while walking i saw a marching band playing 'Pretty Woman' in front of the one church...strange place is this Hannover.

It is called the city of international fairs. that says it all.

Comment

• orphée
          • Apr 2008

Looks like it was a largely thumb's down experience, but at least you finally got some nice weather. As I mentioned, if you still have some time you could try Hamburg, although you are most likely quite tired of bricks, bricks and more bricks. Everything there is on a larger scale, though (well, the bricks are probably the same size).

Comment

• kira
            • Mar 2008

Looks like it was a largely thumb's down experience, but at least you finally got some nice weather. As I mentioned, if you still have some time you could try Hamburg, although you are most likely quite tired of bricks, bricks and more bricks. Everything there is on a larger scale, though (well, the bricks are probably the same size).
            it wasn't terrible, but i was hoping to see some art... we went out every night with the people we working with and that was quite nice and fun. but i have been out now every night for 7 days...so very tired now.

was not able to go anywhere else, but will come back and go to some other cities.

Comment

• orphée
              • Apr 2008

You know, you are really centrally located from Hannover. What about a spin down to Brussels? Are you at all into opera? They're about to stage what I consider to be a potentially epic production of Pelléas et Mélisande, with predominantly Francophone vocalists (de rigueur for Debussy). Of course that would put you within striking range of some of Europe's best shopping.....but they again, I'd rather stick to music and suchlike. Or Rotterdam in the Netherlands, where they're staging a never-before-seen (outside Russia, that is) contemporary Russian opera with Gergiev at the helm (very topical with the troubles along in Georgian/Russian: did you know he is Ossetian?)...although I must admit, I'd go for Brussels any day. Really, I beg you. And at the weekend you can probably get some sumptuous hotel deals... and maybe a pair or wicked shoes to boot (no pun intended).

Comment

• kira
                • Mar 2008

You know, you are really centrally located from Hannover. What about a spin down to Brussels? Are you at all into opera? They're about to stage what I consider to be a potentially epic production of Pelléas et Mélisande, with predominantly Francophone vocalists (de rigueur for Debussy). Of course that would put you within striking range of some of Europe's best shopping.....but they again, I'd rather stick to music and suchlike. Or Rotterdam in the Netherlands, where they're staging a never-before-seen (outside Russia, that is) contemporary Russian opera with Gergiev at the helm (very topical with the troubles along in Georgian/Russian: did you know he is Ossetian?)...although I must admit, I'd go for Brussels any day. Really, I beg you. And at the weekend you can probably get some sumptuous hotel deals... and maybe a pair or wicked shoes to boot (no pun intended).
                oh i would so love to go, but my flight back to nyc is tomorrow...one of the people that i was working with is heading to brussels tomorrow for a few days and then off to antwerp...wish i could join them so much, but i have other work to get back to in nyc, now that i am done working in hannover. but thank you for the suggestions. i seem to be coming over for work more, so will make sure that i schedule some time on some of my trips. (insert rose here)

Comment

• orphée
                  • Apr 2008

Please do visit again, and if I must say, now that you've seen the western realms of Germany (but don't discount Cologne and its dark night scene), I can whole-heartedly recommend Brussels (lght) and Antwerp (dark). Although perhaps it's a language thing, which I thrive on (yes...the great Belgian language divide....right smack dab in Brussels). Rapture. Culture and fashion galore....what more (apart from heavenly food and love) can one wish for (let's not get into politics, for heaven's sake).
                  Last edited by orphée; 08-30-2008, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎