Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mononon
    • Sep 2009

Does anyone here live in LES and have any thoughts on the Two Bridges area? There are some new developments with nice incentives there that I am thinking of moving into but have heard mixed things about the neighborhood. Currently in UWS but thinking of Two Bridges or West Chelsea (very different I know). Just want to understand the general consensus on Two Bridges and the future of that area since I am still relatively new to the city.
    calvinc - "Found this place and omg the people here are so cool and they dress super ultra mega well!"

Comment

• eleves
      • Sep 2012

So Atelier opened up a location in Flushing, Queens? Has anyone been?
      Originally posted by Faust
      HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mononon View Post
        Does anyone here live in LES and have any thoughts on the Two Bridges area? There are some new developments with nice incentives there that I am thinking of moving into but have heard mixed things about the neighborhood. Currently in UWS but thinking of Two Bridges or West Chelsea (very different I know). Just want to understand the general consensus on Two Bridges and the future of that area since I am still relatively new to the city.
        It really depends on what kind of a person you are. If you want youth and edge, I wouldn't hesitate and go for Two Bridges. The Canal St / East Broadway area is just great in terms of everything - from kids skating to small art galleries and cool bars. A lot of creative people have fled there from Soho / NoliTa / Williamsburg. But it's rough around the edges, there are a lot of projects. So, if you are on the posh side, you may want to opt for West Chelsea, which has some gorgeous blocks, and of course you are near all the galleries. But the High Line has completely ruined West Chelsea for me, and the Hudson Yards are the last nail in that coffin.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mononon
          • Sep 2009

Thanks Faust. Really helpful. I love the LES area - just haven't really ventured down to Two Bridges before. Then again, I see the area is starting a lot of new development and just completed the massive One Manhattan Square tower (which is the building I was thinking of). Agreed on West Chelsea - it's nice and posh and complete opposite of the more raw environment of Two Bridges and that side of LES.
          calvinc - "Found this place and omg the people here are so cool and they dress super ultra mega well!"

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mononon View Post
            Thanks Faust. Really helpful. I love the LES area - just haven't really ventured down to Two Bridges before. Then again, I see the area is starting a lot of new development and just completed the massive One Manhattan Square tower (which is the building I was thinking of). Agreed on West Chelsea - it's nice and posh and complete opposite of the more raw environment of Two Bridges and that side of LES.
            No offense, but I hate that building. It's so ugly, and it's going to bring the kind of people that will ruin the neighborhood.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mononon
              • Sep 2009

None taken - you have a valid point. It's a monster of a building and doesn't allow for organic and smooth inflow of newcomers into the area. There's just not a ton of offerings in that area today, and the building offers an attractive tax abatement which is almost impossible to find in Manhattan nowadays.

Comment

• oulipien
                • Feb 2016

I don't know if this is better suited to this thread or "small questions", but—where do people go for alterations and the like? I just moved to brooklyn from berkeley where I took everything to advanced european tailoring; hoping to find a similarly reliable & open-minded place here.

Comment

• zamb
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by oulipien View Post
                  I don't know if this is better suited to this thread or "small questions", but—where do people go for alterations and the like? I just moved to brooklyn from berkeley where I took everything to advanced european tailoring; hoping to find a similarly reliable & open-minded place here.
                  you come to Zfactorie,
                  we are reopening our alterations arm under our 3R program.
                  “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                  .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• dji
                    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by dji View Post
                    Visiting NYC again after nearly 2 years and wanted to know if there were any new stores worth checking out. My (admittedly old) hit list is:
                    BBS
                    Rick
                    Atelier
                    Hotoveli
                    IF
                    DSM

Will be staying at The Roxy in Tribeca so restaurant recommendations around the area would be appreciated. Traveling with my son who will be 20 months old so no degustations but otherwise open to suggestions!
                    Hey guys, it's been a while! I'm in exotic NJ for work but am taking a late flight out on Thursday so I can spend a few hours in NYC. Anything else opened in the past year or two? I know sadly BBSNY is no more, maybe Barneys is worth a visit during the close out sale?

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Hey guys, it's been a while! I'm in exotic NJ for work but am taking a late flight out on Thursday so I can spend a few hours in NYC. Anything else opened in the past year or two? I know sadly BBSNY is no more, maybe Barneys is worth a visit during the close out sale?
                      Barneys is not worth a visit, unless you are going to Central Park anyway. I'd say you can take a peak at Totokaelo, since you are probably going to Rick and IF anyway. There is always Atelier!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dji
                        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        Barneys is not worth a visit, unless you are going to Central Park anyway. I'd say you can take a peak at Totokaelo, since you are probably going to Rick and IF anyway. There is always Atelier!
                        Thanks E, forgot about Totokaelo!

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Thanks E, forgot about Totokaelo!

We now have Sugarfish, and despite the SoHo crowd the sushi is fab; definitely the best value for sushi ever.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dji
                            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            We now have Sugarfish, and despite the SoHo crowd the sushi is fab; definitely the best value for sushi ever.
                            Sounds good E, I'll be on my lonesome so might try it if I pass by at a time that isn't crazy busy.

Comment

• dji
                              • Feb 2008

Checked out the usual suspects, only piece of particular interest in my size were the Guidi front zip sneakers. Ended up eating at Kopitiam (some serious nostalgia for my mum's cooking there) and EAK (not the best bowl of ramen I've had in NYC but solid).

Comment

• Ahimsa
                                Vegan Police
                                • Sep 2011

SZ New Year's Party in NYC
                                StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢