• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lowrey
    ventiundici
    • Dec 2006

thanks Joey, bakla and others.

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    The location is fine - a SHITLOAD of bars and restaurants in the area, and it's basically one train stop to SoHo, two train stops to West Village, and three stops to the meatsmelling district. I threw my wife's surprise birthday party there last year, and it was a blast. You can also bring a sniper rifle and pick off guys in tucked out stripey dress shirts and diesel jeans and the skanks who love them from your own private balcony.
    haha, sounds good

Originally posted by Tafkap View Post
    can't believe this thread is happening now...i have been looking everywhere for a decent hotel. suite....i've been to nyc a few times but this time is different. planning a trip to nyc with my lady...so something romantic. let's just say there may be a ring involved. gulp. that's why the boots are getting sold.
    so i am looking for something that is REALLY nice. not 1500 a night nice, more like 750 or less nice. i have to spread the funds out you know...i love the hotel roosevelt in l.a., even something as "young" and "dumb" as the standard....something "moderny". in other words, a lot of the hotels i see are still "hotel-like", and businessclassy... i want a getaway..dream looks cool but may be a tad much. i am planning on staying in something hip one night (like dream) and something less loud, more romantic the other night-but still hip. faust, the list is nice, found a few a like...any other romantic type things that can be done here? of course there are, but im big on planning. i really have to have a suite, with a sep living area, for under 750. so if a ring IS involved, any ideas, nice places that aren't played out/cliched? btw we are both planning on moving together to nyc in the summer, so this trip is going to be more like a getaway before we go, but i am planning on sealing my life away with a piece of metal..so...
    in that price range you should be able to get a suite at most of the hotels mentioned here and ones like Tribeca Grand, Soho Grand or The London which should all be nice.

and as much as I got pwned by Morgans and their price increase, the place is just renovated and looks really nice, a suite should be in your price range as well.
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by ddohnggo View Post
      *'ino = best truffled egg toast, go in afternoon or off time

* = musts
      that thing is pure ambrosia.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Tafkap View Post
        can't believe this thread is happening now...i have been looking everywhere for a decent hotel. suite....i've been to nyc a few times but this time is different. planning a trip to nyc with my lady...so something romantic. let's just say there may be a ring involved. gulp. that's why the boots are getting sold.
        so i am looking for something that is REALLY nice. not 1500 a night nice, more like 750 or less nice. i have to spread the funds out you know...i love the hotel roosevelt in l.a., even something as "young" and "dumb" as the standard....something "moderny". in other words, a lot of the hotels i see are still "hotel-like", and businessclassy... i want a getaway..dream looks cool but may be a tad much. i am planning on staying in something hip one night (like dream) and something less loud, more romantic the other night-but still hip. faust, the list is nice, found a few a like...any other romantic type things that can be done here? of course there are, but im big on planning. i really have to have a suite, with a sep living area, for under 750. so if a ring IS involved, any ideas, nice places that aren't played out/cliched? btw we are both planning on moving together to nyc in the summer, so this trip is going to be more like a getaway before we go, but i am planning on sealing my life away with a piece of metal..so...
        Good luck, my friend (with the ring, I mean).
        The problem is NYC + Internet = Hype, so it's not easy. Try this, still a bit under the radar I think. But, like bakla said, I am New Yorker, so I don't stay in NYC hotels!

I've always wanted to go to 11 Madison Park. I was going to put it on my list, but since I haven't been there, I did not feel qualified. Definitely try to get reservations there.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mesh
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          that thing is pure ambrosia.
          faust can you edit his post out I didn't mention it on purpose and don't want them raising the price again haha jk

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mesh View Post
            faust can you edit his post out I didn't mention it on purpose and don't want them raising the price again haha jk

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mesh
              • Dec 2006

I can still taste it, we went there for brunch two days in a row when my lady and I were there. Started off with some antipasti then that along with some chilled rose when it was warm outside oh man my favorite moments from ny. I can't wait to go back it left a fuzzy spot in my heart. Even had some locals sit next to us and comment how good it smelled so I was recommending it them like I was a native hahaa.

Comment

• hanajibu
                • Jan 2007

I tend to the kushiyaki / izakaya crawl, so my two cents:
                St. Marks Area and East Village
                <a href="http://yakitoritaisho.com/main/">Yakitori Taisho</a> (standard grilled)
                <a href="http://newyork.savorycities.com/restaurant.php?restID=3472">Village Yokocho</a> (home-cooking, some grilled, almost diner-style and this tiny cute bar 'Angels Share' is attached to it, but nicely tucked away)
                <a href="http://www.plateoftheday.com/394/">Umi no Ie</a> (Kyushu-style home-cooking, extensive shochu menu)
                <a href="http://sakebardecibel.com/">Decibel</a> (subterranean sake bar, STILL my favorite sake joint in the city)
                <a href="http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/otafuku/">Otafuku</a> (closet next to Decibel, serves the best okonomiyaki and bottles their own takoyaki sauce)

And elsewhere
                <a href="http://www.tontonnyc.com/">Hakata Tonton</a> (Kyushu-style home-cooking, and everything here has pigs feet incorporated into it somehow, located in the West Village)
                <a href="http://newyork.savorycities.com/restaurant.php?restID=737">Yakitori Totto</a> (as far as I am concerned, THE kushiyaki joint - located midtown west)
                <a href="http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/sake-bar-hagi/">Izakaya Hagi</a> (proper midtown izakaya)
                <a href="http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/donburiya/">Donburiya</a> (one of those home-cooking places where nearly the entire clientele is salary-men...proper stuff, located near Japan Society in midtown east)

non-Japanese
                <a href="http://www.thelittleowlnyc.com/">Little Owl</a> (down the block from Tonton, it's definitely not Japanese and is probably my favorite non-Japanese restaurant in the city, very cozy)
                <a href="http://tiapol.com/">Tia Pol</a> (my favorite tapas place, and it's in my neighborhood, West Chelsea)
                <a href="http://nymag.com/restaurants/reviews/underground/39589/">El Quinto Pino</a> (even tinier tapas place, run by the same crew as Tia Pol, also in my neighborhood)
                <a href="http://newyork.savorycities.com/restaurant.php?restID=556">Public</a> (my go-to brunch spot)
                <a href="http://www.menupages.com/restaurantdetails.asp?areaid=0&restaurantid=2133&n eighborhoodid=0&cuisineid=41&home=Y">Sanur</a> (Malaysian - and some Indonesian - on Doyers St in Chinatown)

that's off the top of my head...

Comment

• SL65
                  • Sep 2008

I [HEART] NY!

Best hotel: Mandarin Oriental!

Comment

• reborn
                    • Aug 2008

Mandarian Oriental

For that kinda of money, I prefer to stay at the Hyatt in Old Greenwich and drop the difference on a shopping spree in the City...

Comment

• Mies
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by reborn View Post
                      For that kinda of money, I prefer to stay at the Hyatt in Old Greenwich and drop the difference on a shopping spree in the City...

Hey. I'm a new member of this forum. The list is great, but can someone recommend a nice club. I prefer minimal and electronic music. Thanks

Comment

• lowrey
                        ventiundici
                        • Dec 2006

I have an additional question, we will meet up with my parents in the city for a couple of evenings as they are in the US right now. the thing is that my folks love food and have good taste, but they the opposite of adventurous when it comes to cuisine, I can imagine them heading straight to per se or something equivalent. not that theres anything wrong with that, but I like to take them to more interesting places.

so I'm looking for some place a bit out of the ordinary for them. would Soto suit someone who isn't that used to Japanese food? what is their menu like? what about other suggestions that are a bit more exotic than the usual upscale places?
                        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

Comment

• kunk75
                          Banned
                          • May 2008

i know it's a fairly pedestrian reco, but my mom loved morimoto and doesn't like traditional japanese food. and if they're happy to remain inadventurous, craft is always good for parents/out of towners.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

It sounds like WD-50 might work? I haven't been there, so I can't attest to its quality - the reviews are mixed.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• bakla
                              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by mike lowrey View Post
                              so I'm looking for some place a bit out of the ordinary for them. would Soto suit someone who isn't that used to Japanese food? what is their menu like? what about other suggestions that are a bit more exotic than the usual upscale places?
                              Soto is very minimalist in decor and plating, and the combinations sound rather extreme on the menu, but the flavor profiles really shine pure here. That said, there's a lot of uni/sea urchin on the menu (and some of the best dishes use uni), and it seems to be the chef's preferred ingredient, so take that into consideration. I don't think the food tastes that adventurous, but it's definitely refined and a nice, off-the-beaten-path place. WD-50 might be more challenging, but they're definitely in a similar vein, although the latter's decor is quite rustic by comparison. Morimoto is nice, but I found the appetizers to be better than the mains. Craft is also a good standby. You can also try Eleven Madison Park or Gramercy Tavern.

Comment

• lowrey
                                ventiundici
                                • Dec 2006

I was thinking wd-50 as well, morimoto might be good as well as the menu seems quite mixed and has a lot of fairly "easy" plates.

bakla, the latter ones you mentioned are definately something I wouldn't mind going to, but perhaps a bit too safe in this case. as an example, I took them to Limon in SF, they were kind of unsure considering its a preuvian place but ended up loving it

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎