Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

Haha, no Bakla, no Ko for me... I haven't been in NY long enough in the recent past to even try.

Seems like he uses a few molecular techniques which is pretty cool... I've been looking into what NYC/US restaurants are integrating it into the regular dishes (more than just a little of this or that here and there) but they don't seem to do well as a whole and the 100% molecular scene is still on the d/l even though the techniques are gaining in mainstream popularity. It's still too much for most people to handle.

man... all these good eats listed above are killin me!

If anyone is coming to San Antonio, I have a pretty neat list ;)
    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• lowrey
      ventiundici
      • Dec 2006

great suggestions, will start taking notes

think I will reserve a room at Morgans for now considering their reasonable price compared to others

edit: scratch that. Morgans updated their website today following the renovations and prices for the same dates went from $350 to $680. fucking hilarious.

found a decent price through an agent for On Rivington, how is the location? I dont think I've been around there, not sure though.
      Last edited by lowrey; 09-03-2008, 05:15 PM.
      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• mesh
        • Dec 2006

That sucks mike.

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        Ah, oh, brainfart. Actually, they opened one by my house in the boonies as well. Strange. Anyway, next time you come, I'll take you to my hood for real Pizza. (not to any of those Manhattan locations, those are hype). I only recommend Joe's for a quick slice.
        I will take you up on that kind sir.

Comment

• reborn
          • Aug 2008

great dinner

L'Ecole at Broadway and Grand in Soho is a great place to go for Lunch or Dinner. It's a the restuarant for the french culinary institute...prix fixe menu and always interesting selections. I think lunch (3 courses) is $25 and dinner (5 courses) is $40.

Comment

• maldoror
            • Jun 2007

I'm going to risk the flames and advise against Ko. Even if you can get the reservation your money will be better spent elsewhere, especially:

for similar, bar style haute dining --> Atelier de Joel Robuchon
            for general fine dining --> Eleven Madison Park

these are, imho, currently the best restaurants in the city (disclaimer: haven't been to masa, nor do I intend to go. would rather fly to tokyo and eat at jiro for the same $).

----

and to add to this already excellent list:

{ inexpensive }

Di Faras (pizza)
            Setagaya (ramen)
            Corner Bistro (THE hamburger)
            Golden Unicorn (for the true c-town dim sum experience)

{ moderate }

Ushi Wakamaru (sushi)
            lunch @ Jean Georges (maybe the best deal in the city)

{ expensive }

Soto (already on the list, but worth mentioning twice. tremendous japanese)
            15 East (another option for japanese, very different than the above)
            Allen & Delancey (ferguson is doing better food here than he did for gordon ramsey, and at a fraction of the price)

{ $$$$$ }

see beginning of post.
            also: per se (duh, and more like $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ if you want to do it right)

>>>> & Cocktails

Death & Company
            Please Don't Tell (<--my personal fav)
            Clover Club
            Milk & Honey (duh(?))

Comment

• Real Real
              • Feb 2007

The Maritime is nice, and I've spent ~$350 for a room each time I've stayed there.

Couple of additional recommendations - Anthos isn't cheap, but the food is excellent and interesting if you're looking for something near MOMA. Keens is my favorite steakhouse in NYC, with good bar food.

Comment

• misterpale
                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by mike lowrey View Post
                great list, thanks!

I was just looking at Morgans, they seem to have just renovated the entire hotel and prices are *only* around the $300 mark, so thats my top pick right now. thankfully I still have the euro on my side, so thats not bad for nyc boutique hotel at all.

On Rivington seems cool, will have to see if I could find a good deal somewhere..

\/ will do!

check the marcel hotel at 24th east...

Comment

• maldoror
                  • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Real Real View Post
                  Keens
                  +1! (don't know how I forgot this place) not only great steaks, but an equally great space and beverage program. impeccable cocktails and incomparable selection of scotch.

Comment

• Real Real
                    • Feb 2007

Yeah. Keens is top notch (I've probably eaten there, it's kind of ridiculous, maybe ~100 times), and it's also living history in a way...you get a feel for old NYC there that is hard to rival anywhere else.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mike lowrey View Post
                      great suggestions, will start taking notes

think I will reserve a room at Morgans for now considering their reasonable price compared to others

edit: scratch that. Morgans updated their website today following the renovations and prices for the same dates went from $350 to $680. fucking hilarious.

found a decent price through an agent for On Rivington, how is the location? I dont think I've been around there, not sure though.
                      The location is fine - a SHITLOAD of bars and restaurants in the area, and it's basically one train stop to SoHo, two train stops to West Village, and three stops to the meatsmelling district. I threw my wife's surprise birthday party there last year, and it was a blast. You can also bring a sniper rifle and pick off guys in tucked out stripey dress shirts and diesel jeans and the skanks who love them from your own private balcony.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• bakla
                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by maldoror View Post
                        I'm going to risk the flames and advise against Ko. Even if you can get the reservation your money will be better spent elsewhere, especially:

for similar, bar style haute dining --> Atelier de Joel Robuchon
                        for general fine dining --> Eleven Madison Park

these are, imho, currently the best restaurants in the city (disclaimer: haven't been to masa, nor do I intend to go. would rather fly to tokyo and eat at jiro for the same $).

----

and to add to this already excellent list:

{ inexpensive }

Di Faras (pizza)
                        Setagaya (ramen)
                        Corner Bistro (THE hamburger)
                        Golden Unicorn (for the true c-town dim sum experience)

{ moderate }

Ushi Wakamaru (sushi)
                        lunch @ Jean Georges (maybe the best deal in the city)

{ expensive }

Soto (already on the list, but worth mentioning twice. tremendous japanese)
                        15 East (another option for japanese, very different than the above)
                        Allen & Delancey (ferguson is doing better food here than he did for gordon ramsey, and at a fraction of the price)

{ $$$$$ }

see beginning of post.
                        also: per se (duh, and more like $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ if you want to do it right)

>>>> & Cocktails

Death & Company
                        Please Don't Tell (<--my personal fav)
                        Clover Club
                        Milk & Honey (duh(?))
                        Okay, you are officially a Insider in my eyes. Good choices. :) Can NOT go wrong with Eleven Madison. Sadly, I don't feel the same about WD-50 any longer, but that's more from heresay (from friends with good taste, though, so I defer) and I've put off a return visit after I and 4 other friends all had bad experiences there in the past 3 years (after initial raves and proclamations of Wylie as God; could just be a staff issue).

Okay, okay, I'll stop now. But good clothes go with good food, methinks. Nothing better than dressing up to dine for an audience of one.

And I'm not so convinced by David Chang. I'm Asian, and I wasn't that impressed by Ssam, even after the critical raves (and I ate there before and after the coverage). So I always take David Chang with a grain of salt, no pun intended.

Comment

• ddohnggo
                          • Oct 2006

Inexpensive (under 20 per person)
                          *Shake Shack = burger
                          Resto = burger
                          ippudo = ramen
                          rafiqi's cart (4 bucks)
                          *'ino = best truffled egg toast, go in afternoon or off time

moderate (under 50 dollar meal per person)
                          *jean georges lunch - 28 dollars 2 course (pretty full sized), 8 or 12 dollar desserts
                          *perry street lunch - 24 dollars 3 courses (full sized)
                          matsugen - I'm only putting this on here for the cold sesame soba, best soba sauce ever (other dishes are way overpriced)
                          momofuku ssam bar - you still get creative dishes as ko, just more mass produced (dinner menu better)
                          babbo - for pasta dishes
                          falai - italian
                          little owl -

higher ($50+)
                          eleven madison park (any danny meyer restaurant)
                          per se (best meal overall)
                          masa - sushi that "melts in your mouth"

* = musts
                          Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• Tafkap
                            • Oct 2006

can't believe this thread is happening now...i have been looking everywhere for a decent hotel. suite....i've been to nyc a few times but this time is different. planning a trip to nyc with my lady...so something romantic. let's just say there may be a ring involved. gulp. that's why the boots are getting sold.
                            so i am looking for something that is REALLY nice. not 1500 a night nice, more like 750 or less nice. i have to spread the funds out you know...i love the hotel roosevelt in l.a., even something as "young" and "dumb" as the standard....something "moderny". in other words, a lot of the hotels i see are still "hotel-like", and businessclassy... i want a getaway..dream looks cool but may be a tad much. i am planning on staying in something hip one night (like dream) and something less loud, more romantic the other night-but still hip. faust, the list is nice, found a few a like...any other romantic type things that can be done here? of course there are, but im big on planning. i really have to have a suite, with a sep living area, for under 750. so if a ring IS involved, any ideas, nice places that aren't played out/cliched? btw we are both planning on moving together to nyc in the summer, so this trip is going to be more like a getaway before we go, but i am planning on sealing my life away with a piece of metal..so...

Comment

• maldoror
                              • Jun 2007

Originally posted by ddohnggo View Post
                              eleven madison park (any danny meyer restaurant)
                              not so. they've all got the same great service, but there is a hierarchy of food at the danny meyer restaurants, and eleven madison park is by far the most serious. the last meal I had there (under chef humm) was imho markedly better than anything I had at gramercy tavern in its heyday (when chef colicchio was still in the kitchen). I'd even go so far as to say that humm is cooking the only food I've ever eaten at a meyer restaurant which I'd call world class.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                                • Sep 2006

Ah, glad Golden Unicorn was mentioned for dim sum. I forgot to add that to my list as the best authentic dim sum (with goooooood chicken feet!) in chinatown!
                                www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎