Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mmmmrk
    • Dec 2009

Quick question...I searched through the Cobbler thread, but couldn't find a direct answer.

Does anyone know a good place to add protective soles to boots/shoes in NYC? I just moved here and am looking for both a good tailor and a cobbler. Anyone have any tips?

Thanks.

Comment

• Raw Edge
      • Jan 2008

tailor:
      Zam B (see thread here)
      cobbler Firm Shoe Repair

Comment

• kbi
        • Feb 2009

best sushi place in NY?

Comment

• theetruscan
          • Jan 2008

I haven't been to enough of the greats to have much authority, but Sushi Yasuda should definitely be in the running. Jewel Bako used to be fantastic, but my last trip was not up to their standards from years back.
          Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
            • Mar 2007

Tomoe sushi - always a long line though...
            Blue Ribbon

Comment

• maldoror
              • Jun 2007

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
              I haven't been to enough of the greats to have much authority, but Sushi Yasuda should definitely be in the running. Jewel Bako used to be fantastic, but my last trip was not up to their standards from years back.
              jewel bako went down the shitter years ago.

the o.g. chef is now @ 15 East, which is excellent.

though afaik yasuda is still tops

Comment

• mmmmrk
                • Dec 2009

Dropped by Firm shoe repair today...seemed to know their shit. Any cobbler that brings up Rick sneakers in conversation seems ok..haha.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by kbi View Post
                  best sushi place in NY?
                  in my hood and fucking cheap. i don't eat sushi in manhattan anymore, it's just not worth it. blue ribbon is great though, but i had exactly one experience at tomoe and i will never go back. a total tourist trap.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• polishmike
                    • Jan 2007

best sushi place in NY?
                    Not sushi but Omen is fantastic Japanese.

Comment

• allanb
                      • Apr 2009

best sushi place in NY?
                      morimoto

Comment

• mmmmrk
                        • Dec 2009

Just moved to NY, and am staying with a friend for the time being. Any tips as to what neighborhoods are good for the price? This may be a ridiculous question, but thought maybe some of you had some insight. Thanks.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mmmmrk View Post
                          Just moved to NY, and am staying with a friend for the time being. Any tips as to what neighborhoods are good for the price? This may be a ridiculous question, but thought maybe some of you had some insight. Thanks.
                          you are rather insightful yourself.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Majax
                            • Jan 2010

Also coming to NY, different questions, thanks a lot if you can help. Please only consider the first two questions if you think following ones are too specific...

First, I'm aware of what is currently mentioned in tourist guides and forums, shops like Atelier and comparable things. But do you have in mind some "confidential shops", not easily found in guides or forums, I should be aware of?

Do you think Woodbury Common outlet worths it? (knowing that I appreciate the typical sz style, but not only)

Does anyone knows if RO is cheapest (so to speak...) in France or NY (for a French, and taking into account exchange rates)?

Any advice for a pant? Seeking high quality (what is quality?), dark tone, clearly not luxurious in appearance (not shiny or anything), not stretch on the thigh but more stretch on the ankle? Would prefer heavy cotton to wool. Sorry if it is both too specific and imprecise...

Thanks in advance if you have any advice

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

see below, and please avoid further inane questions.

Originally posted by Majax View Post
                              Also coming to NY, different questions, thanks a lot if you can help. Please only consider the first two questions if you think following ones are too specific...

First, I'm aware of what is currently mentioned in tourist guides and forums, shops like Atelier and comparable things. But do you have in mind some "confidential shops", not easily found in guides or forums, I should be aware of?

IF, Project #8. But, really, you live in the age of the Internet - what confidential shops can there possibly be?

Do you think Woodbury Common outlet worths it? (knowing that I appreciate the typical sz style, but not only)

No.

Does anyone knows if RO is cheapest (so to speak...) in France or NY (for a French, and taking into account exchange rates)?

RO is cheapest in Italy, like all other European labels.

Any advice for a pant? Seeking high quality (what is quality?), dark tone, clearly not luxurious in appearance (not shiny or anything), not stretch on the thigh but more stretch on the ankle? Would prefer heavy cotton to wool. Sorry if it is both too specific and imprecise...

H&M makes nice ones.

Thanks in advance if you have any advice
                              Last edited by Faust; 02-02-2010, 06:57 PM.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• polishmike
                                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Majax View Post
                                Check out Uniqlo +J (designed by Jil Sander). I heard good things about the pants but didn't try them myself. Might be a little hard to find heavier pants now, since it's pretty much spring/summer at every store.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎