Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speak
    • Nov 2007

I'm moving to NY this summer, anyone willing to answer some questions for me? I don't really know anyone there, and would hate to move into the wrong area.

So far, people have recommended Williamsburg and Astoria. I'll be working in Soho.

Comment

• t-bone
      • Dec 2009

Both of those locations will make it difficult to get to Soho, and depending on what you are looking for in your "home" neighborhood, I'd say they both have little to offer that I'd find worthwhile. Sure I occasionally head up to Astoria for Middle Eastern food or to Williamsburg for shows or dinner on occasion, but I wouldn't want to spend most of my time in either place.

I live in downtown Brooklyn and have for about 6 years since leaving Manhattan and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Neighborhoods to check out include Boerum Hill, Carroll Gardens, the "infamous" Park Slope (stroller moms), and the more recently developing areas of Fort Greene, Prospect Heights, the Gowanus, and South Slope / Windsor Terrace.

It is a lot easier to get from most of these neighborhoods to Soho (and most of the rest of Manhattan). The restaurants are less "scene-y" than in Williamsburg and more varied than in Astoria. Local specialty shops and the Grand Army Plaza farmer's market are as good as anything you'll find in Manhattan for grocery shopping.

/Proselytism

Comment

• Speak
        • Nov 2007

What makes it difficult to get to Soho from Williamsburg? I've never been, so I have no idea, but by looking at the map, isn't Williamsburg close to a train route over to Manhattan? Thanks for your help!

Comment

• Raw Edge
          • Jan 2008

most of williamsburg is on the L train, which cuts across 14th street, which means you just have to change to another train at union square or some other station along 14th st and go downtown to soho.
          much of downtown brooklyn is on trains that go directly to soho (and gives you more train options and is a drastically better neighborhood).
          Astoria is nice though. Especially if you like greek food.

Comment

• Speak
            • Nov 2007

Is there a huge pricing difference between Astoria and Downtown Brooklyn? It seems like Astoria is relatively cheap (looking on craigslist).

Comment

• Raw Edge
              • Jan 2008

downtown brooklyn is sort of a vague name for several different neighborhoods, whereas astoria is just 1. in general its hard to make broad comparisons like this, as there aer some very expensive parts of downtown brooklyn, and very cheap parts.
              nyc varies a lot area to area and even block to block.
              but in general, both places you mention are pretty good value and reasonably well located, but not always ultra cheap.

Comment

• t-bone
                • Dec 2009

Yes the pricing can vary wildly across neighborhoods and even across blocks, but look online for some info on those neighborhoods I listed above, then search craigslist for the neighborhoods themselves to get an idea of price ranges.

Also, if you can't visit places in person right away, it's a good idea to get a lay of the land on Google Maps and Street View (which also shows nearby Subway stations) when you are looking at a place. Cross reference the distance to the subway with where the line goes (use maps at mta.info for the trains).

Comment

• endersgame
                  • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Speak View Post
                  What makes it difficult to get to Soho from Williamsburg? I've never been, so I have no idea, but by looking at the map, isn't Williamsburg close to a train route over to Manhattan? Thanks for your help!
                  There's 2 sides to Williamsburg. North and South. North has the L. South, the JMZ. Both will take you to Soho but you will need to transfer. Both will get you to Soho in about 30 min or less.

Theres the GG (old school new yorkers still call it the GG) on the east, but that's a weird train to master.

Is there a huge pricing difference between Astoria and Downtown Brooklyn? It seems like Astoria is relatively cheap (looking on craigslist).
                  You can still find sub-$1000 apartments in Astoria I believe. Not so much in Williamsburg. There's no downtown Brooklyn, unless you are referring to MetroTech/City Hall.

I also recommend Park Slope with the R train. The R will take you straight to Soho.

Other notable Brooklyn neighborhoods include:

Brooklyn Heights (promenade!)
                  Carroll Gardens (30's something pushing baby carts)
                  Dumbo (Pnod lives here?, so close, but so far)
                  Cobble Hill (use to live here, nice!)
                  Vinegar Hill (quiet. no public transportation)
                  Boerum Hill (like cobble hill, but further in)
                  The Slope (prospect park!)
                  East Williamsburg/Bushwick (hipster ghetto)
                  Greenpoint (polish hood, cheaper than williamsburg)
                  Red Hook (Ikea, no real public transport, dying port town charm)

i forgot to mention columbia heights, west of brooklyn heights. probably the sweetest place to live in the entire kings county..
                  Last edited by endersgame; 02-06-2010, 11:09 AM.

Comment

• mononon
                    • Sep 2009

does anyone know any good fashion/business companies that have paid internships for the summer I should contact? so far trying to get a paid internship at Gilt Groupe, but any others? i'm from los angeles, so I want to spend the summer doing something productive in new york city, other than studying there. thanks :)
                    calvinc - "Found this place and omg the people here are so cool and they dress super ultra mega well!"

Comment

• Speak
                      • Nov 2007

What trains should I try and situate myself close to for convenience to work in Soho? Is the JMZ better than the L? Thanks all!

Comment

• lowrey
                        ventiundici
                        • Dec 2006

take a look at google maps and see what stops you have near your work place
                        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• endersgame
                          • Aug 2009

What trains should I try and situate myself close to for convenience to work in Soho? Is the JMZ better than the L? Thanks all!
                          i would say the L is better.

Comment

• Macro
                            • Apr 2008

The L is safer. I'd check out the area between Bedford and Graham ave. Lorimer has the G, which can kick you to south brooklyn easily. The JMZ is sketchy, but will easily spit you into LES.
                            every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• endersgame
                              • Aug 2009

there's also one other option. live near the base of the williamsburg bridge and bike to soho. you just keep going straight and you'll hit nolita/soho.

i have a feeling it's faster than the train. you'll also save money to pay for your cc bill at A's.

Comment

• Speak
                                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                                take a look at google maps and see what stops you have near your work place
                                It's very close to Houston street station M (1), and pretty close to Spring Street M (C, E)

What does the M stand for (i'm assuming Metro?), and would the 1, C, and E be the train numbers? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎