Page 2 of 74 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast

Thread: New York thread

The Maritime is nice, and I've spent ~$350 for a room each time I've stayed there.

Couple of additional recommendations - Anthos isn't cheap, but the food is excellent and interesting if you're looking for something near MOMA. Keens is my favorite steakhouse in NYC, with good bar food.

Quote Originally Posted by mike lowrey View Post
    great list, thanks!

I was just looking at Morgans, they seem to have just renovated the entire hotel and prices are *only* around the $300 mark, so thats my top pick right now. thankfully I still have the euro on my side, so thats not bad for nyc boutique hotel at all.

On Rivington seems cool, will have to see if I could find a good deal somewhere..

\/ will do!

check the marcel hotel at 24th east...

Quote Originally Posted by Real Real View Post
    Keens
    +1! (don't know how I forgot this place) not only great steaks, but an equally great space and beverage program. impeccable cocktails and incomparable selection of scotch.

Yeah. Keens is top notch (I've probably eaten there, it's kind of ridiculous, maybe ~100 times), and it's also living history in a way...you get a feel for old NYC there that is hard to rival anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by mike lowrey View Post
    great suggestions, will start taking notes

think I will reserve a room at Morgans for now considering their reasonable price compared to others

edit: scratch that. Morgans updated their website today following the renovations and prices for the same dates went from $350 to $680. fucking hilarious.

found a decent price through an agent for On Rivington, how is the location? I dont think I've been around there, not sure though.
    The location is fine - a SHITLOAD of bars and restaurants in the area, and it's basically one train stop to SoHo, two train stops to West Village, and three stops to the meatsmelling district. I threw my wife's surprise birthday party there last year, and it was a blast. You can also bring a sniper rifle and pick off guys in tucked out stripey dress shirts and diesel jeans and the skanks who love them from your own private balcony.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by maldoror View Post
    I'm going to risk the flames and advise against Ko. Even if you can get the reservation your money will be better spent elsewhere, especially:

for similar, bar style haute dining --> Atelier de Joel Robuchon
    for general fine dining --> Eleven Madison Park

these are, imho, currently the best restaurants in the city (disclaimer: haven't been to masa, nor do I intend to go. would rather fly to tokyo and eat at jiro for the same $).

----

and to add to this already excellent list:

{ inexpensive }

Di Faras (pizza)
    Setagaya (ramen)
    Corner Bistro (THE hamburger)
    Golden Unicorn (for the true c-town dim sum experience)

{ moderate }

Ushi Wakamaru (sushi)
    lunch @ Jean Georges (maybe the best deal in the city)

{ expensive }

Soto (already on the list, but worth mentioning twice. tremendous japanese)
    15 East (another option for japanese, very different than the above)
    Allen & Delancey (ferguson is doing better food here than he did for gordon ramsey, and at a fraction of the price)

{ $$$$$ }

see beginning of post.
    also: per se (duh, and more like $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ if you want to do it right)

>>>> & Cocktails

Death & Company
    Please Don't Tell (<--my personal fav)
    Clover Club
    Milk & Honey (duh(?))
    Okay, you are officially a Insider in my eyes. Good choices. :) Can NOT go wrong with Eleven Madison. Sadly, I don't feel the same about WD-50 any longer, but that's more from heresay (from friends with good taste, though, so I defer) and I've put off a return visit after I and 4 other friends all had bad experiences there in the past 3 years (after initial raves and proclamations of Wylie as God; could just be a staff issue).

Okay, okay, I'll stop now. But good clothes go with good food, methinks. Nothing better than dressing up to dine for an audience of one.

And I'm not so convinced by David Chang. I'm Asian, and I wasn't that impressed by Ssam, even after the critical raves (and I ate there before and after the coverage). So I always take David Chang with a grain of salt, no pun intended.

Inexpensive (under 20 per person)
    *Shake Shack = burger
    Resto = burger
    ippudo = ramen
    rafiqi's cart (4 bucks)
    *'ino = best truffled egg toast, go in afternoon or off time

moderate (under 50 dollar meal per person)
    *jean georges lunch - 28 dollars 2 course (pretty full sized), 8 or 12 dollar desserts
    *perry street lunch - 24 dollars 3 courses (full sized)
    matsugen - I'm only putting this on here for the cold sesame soba, best soba sauce ever (other dishes are way overpriced)
    momofuku ssam bar - you still get creative dishes as ko, just more mass produced (dinner menu better)
    babbo - for pasta dishes
    falai - italian
    little owl -

higher ($50+)
    eleven madison park (any danny meyer restaurant)
    per se (best meal overall)
    masa - sushi that "melts in your mouth"

* = musts
    Did you get and like the larger dick?

can't believe this thread is happening now...i have been looking everywhere for a decent hotel. suite....i've been to nyc a few times but this time is different. planning a trip to nyc with my lady...so something romantic. let's just say there may be a ring involved. gulp. that's why the boots are getting sold.
    so i am looking for something that is REALLY nice. not 1500 a night nice, more like 750 or less nice. i have to spread the funds out you know...i love the hotel roosevelt in l.a., even something as "young" and "dumb" as the standard....something "moderny". in other words, a lot of the hotels i see are still "hotel-like", and businessclassy... i want a getaway..dream looks cool but may be a tad much. i am planning on staying in something hip one night (like dream) and something less loud, more romantic the other night-but still hip. faust, the list is nice, found a few a like...any other romantic type things that can be done here? of course there are, but im big on planning. i really have to have a suite, with a sep living area, for under 750. so if a ring IS involved, any ideas, nice places that aren't played out/cliched? btw we are both planning on moving together to nyc in the summer, so this trip is going to be more like a getaway before we go, but i am planning on sealing my life away with a piece of metal..so...

Quote Originally Posted by ddohnggo View Post
    eleven madison park (any danny meyer restaurant)
    not so. they've all got the same great service, but there is a hierarchy of food at the danny meyer restaurants, and eleven madison park is by far the most serious. the last meal I had there (under chef humm) was imho markedly better than anything I had at gramercy tavern in its heyday (when chef colicchio was still in the kitchen). I'd even go so far as to say that humm is cooking the only food I've ever eaten at a meyer restaurant which I'd call world class.

Ah, glad Golden Unicorn was mentioned for dim sum. I forgot to add that to my list as the best authentic dim sum (with goooooood chicken feet!) in chinatown!

thanks Joey, bakla and others.

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    The location is fine - a SHITLOAD of bars and restaurants in the area, and it's basically one train stop to SoHo, two train stops to West Village, and three stops to the meatsmelling district. I threw my wife's surprise birthday party there last year, and it was a blast. You can also bring a sniper rifle and pick off guys in tucked out stripey dress shirts and diesel jeans and the skanks who love them from your own private balcony.
    haha, sounds good

Quote Originally Posted by Tafkap View Post
    can't believe this thread is happening now...i have been looking everywhere for a decent hotel. suite....i've been to nyc a few times but this time is different. planning a trip to nyc with my lady...so something romantic. let's just say there may be a ring involved. gulp. that's why the boots are getting sold.
    so i am looking for something that is REALLY nice. not 1500 a night nice, more like 750 or less nice. i have to spread the funds out you know...i love the hotel roosevelt in l.a., even something as "young" and "dumb" as the standard....something "moderny". in other words, a lot of the hotels i see are still "hotel-like", and businessclassy... i want a getaway..dream looks cool but may be a tad much. i am planning on staying in something hip one night (like dream) and something less loud, more romantic the other night-but still hip. faust, the list is nice, found a few a like...any other romantic type things that can be done here? of course there are, but im big on planning. i really have to have a suite, with a sep living area, for under 750. so if a ring IS involved, any ideas, nice places that aren't played out/cliched? btw we are both planning on moving together to nyc in the summer, so this trip is going to be more like a getaway before we go, but i am planning on sealing my life away with a piece of metal..so...
    in that price range you should be able to get a suite at most of the hotels mentioned here and ones like Tribeca Grand, Soho Grand or The London which should all be nice.

and as much as I got pwned by Morgans and their price increase, the place is just renovated and looks really nice, a suite should be in your price range as well.
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Quote Originally Posted by ddohnggo View Post
    *'ino = best truffled egg toast, go in afternoon or off time

* = musts
    that thing is pure ambrosia.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Tafkap View Post
    Good luck, my friend (with the ring, I mean).
    The problem is NYC + Internet = Hype, so it's not easy. Try this, still a bit under the radar I think. But, like bakla said, I am New Yorker, so I don't stay in NYC hotels!

I've always wanted to go to 11 Madison Park. I was going to put it on my list, but since I haven't been there, I did not feel qualified. Definitely try to get reservations there.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    that thing is pure ambrosia.
    faust can you edit his post out I didn't mention it on purpose and don't want them raising the price again haha jk

Quote Originally Posted by mesh View Post
    faust can you edit his post out I didn't mention it on purpose and don't want them raising the price again haha jk

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

I can still taste it, we went there for brunch two days in a row when my lady and I were there. Started off with some antipasti then that along with some chilled rose when it was warm outside oh man my favorite moments from ny. I can't wait to go back it left a fuzzy spot in my heart. Even had some locals sit next to us and comment how good it smelled so I was recommending it them like I was a native hahaa.

I tend to the kushiyaki / izakaya crawl, so my two cents:
    St. Marks Area and East Village
    <a href="http://yakitoritaisho.com/main/">Yakitori Taisho</a> (standard grilled)
    <a href="http://newyork.savorycities.com/restaurant.php?restID=3472">Village Yokocho</a> (home-cooking, some grilled, almost diner-style and this tiny cute bar 'Angels Share' is attached to it, but nicely tucked away)
    <a href="http://www.plateoftheday.com/394/">Umi no Ie</a> (Kyushu-style home-cooking, extensive shochu menu)
    <a href="http://sakebardecibel.com/">Decibel</a> (subterranean sake bar, STILL my favorite sake joint in the city)
    <a href="http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/otafuku/">Otafuku</a> (closet next to Decibel, serves the best okonomiyaki and bottles their own takoyaki sauce)

And elsewhere
    <a href="http://www.tontonnyc.com/">Hakata Tonton</a> (Kyushu-style home-cooking, and everything here has pigs feet incorporated into it somehow, located in the West Village)
    <a href="http://newyork.savorycities.com/restaurant.php?restID=737">Yakitori Totto</a> (as far as I am concerned, THE kushiyaki joint - located midtown west)
    <a href="http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/sake-bar-hagi/">Izakaya Hagi</a> (proper midtown izakaya)
    <a href="http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/donburiya/">Donburiya</a> (one of those home-cooking places where nearly the entire clientele is salary-men...proper stuff, located near Japan Society in midtown east)

non-Japanese
    <a href="http://www.thelittleowlnyc.com/">Little Owl</a> (down the block from Tonton, it's definitely not Japanese and is probably my favorite non-Japanese restaurant in the city, very cozy)
    <a href="http://tiapol.com/">Tia Pol</a> (my favorite tapas place, and it's in my neighborhood, West Chelsea)
    <a href="http://nymag.com/restaurants/reviews/underground/39589/">El Quinto Pino</a> (even tinier tapas place, run by the same crew as Tia Pol, also in my neighborhood)
    <a href="http://newyork.savorycities.com/restaurant.php?restID=556">Public</a> (my go-to brunch spot)
    <a href="http://www.menupages.com/restaurantdetails.asp?areaid=0&restaurantid=2133&n eighborhoodid=0&cuisineid=41&home=Y">Sanur</a> (Malaysian - and some Indonesian - on Doyers St in Chinatown)

that's off the top of my head...

I [HEART] NY!

Best hotel: Mandarin Oriental!

Default Mandarian Oriental

For that kinda of money, I prefer to stay at the Hyatt in Old Greenwich and drop the difference on a shopping spree in the City...

Quote Originally Posted by reborn View Post
    For that kinda of money, I prefer to stay at the Hyatt in Old Greenwich and drop the difference on a shopping spree in the City...

Hey. I'm a new member of this forum. The list is great, but can someone recommend a nice club. I prefer minimal and electronic music. Thanks