Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bonejelly
    • Jul 2008

Headed to town at the end of September for Death in June AND the NY Art Book Fair (once more).

Though I have also been reviewing the 'Art shows you should see' thread, it seems to see less action than this one. Any recommendations for mid-late september events or exhibitions (art or otherwise) would be much appreciated!
    Last edited by bonejelly; 08-31-2013, 07:03 PM.

Comment

• Ahimsa
      Vegan Police
      • Sep 2011

Is there like a secret to getting into fashion shows (nyfw) without an invite or do they just arbitrarily let random people in?
      StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

It's better if you have an invite :-) What did you want to see?
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Ahimsa
          Vegan Police
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          It's better if you have an invite :-) What did you want to see?
          Thom Browne. Possibly Tim Coppens and Helmut Lang. I think Titania Inglis is pretty nifty. I wish I was as familiar with NY showing designers as I was with Paris XD. and of course Dion Lee has to be showing on a random Wednesday >< (I'll probably be the one to upload it lol)

edit*
          reading through the designer list made me realize how much NYFW needs exciting designers. But the question is would they become an attraction or basically forced to go to Paris like everyone else?
          Last edited by Ahimsa; 09-02-2013, 08:44 PM.
          StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• dji
            • Feb 2008

air travel is crazy in the States, over the weekend we got delayed 7 hours in total and spent around $200 on taxi fares to far flung airports because of United. next time I'll drive/train/bus for short haul trips rather than fuck with the airlines here too much, really not worth it for a flight time of less than an hour..

didn't manage to make it to A, Hotoveli, Patrons of the New, Project No. 8 or Graymarket this time due to the delays and long weekend opening hours. had a chance to check out a few stores at least. Rick and DRKSHDW were what you would expect although I can't say I thought much of this season's pieces. dropped by Barney's after wandering through Central Park, honestly FAO Schwartz was much more interesting haha. IF seems to aim at an older audience so didn't hold my attention for too long.

food wise the chicken for two at The NoMad was solid, as was the milk & honey dessert. EMP was a mixed bag for us in terms of food, fairly underwhelmed considering the fanfare (and $$$). wrong type of crowd for us too, high society wankers rather than food wankers.

went to Ippudo Westside, pork buns were great but the ramen could use work (tasty broth but the eggs and noodles need improvement). Milk Bar was decent but for the record my girlfriend's Aussie style caramel slice beats the crack pie hands down. Szechuan Gourmet was completely unauthentic (it was made by Cantonese after all XD ), for what it's worth the food they served wasn't half bad though.

the humidity was pretty oppressive over the weekend, had to strip down to a semi-sheer tank most of the time haha.

Comment

• Bson
              • May 2013

so basically... NYC bores you

IF is a truly unique place, probably my favorite boutique in the city. doesn't come across as 'old' to me- they just have a strong clientele that have been returning for years and years. the buy is great, and every SA is so sweet... :) plus, seeing P in the Harnden pajamas kinda makes my day

Comment

• dji
                • Feb 2008

well at the least it's more exciting than DC. next visit we'll definitely take a more relaxed approach now that we're done with the touristy stuff. might stay in Williamsburg and take the subway to Manhattan instead.

it was a nice store just not my sort of buys.

Comment

• MikeN
                  • Nov 2007

IF is one of my favorite stores in the world. Most others seem boring to me.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

/\ You are old.

I think of IF as old, but that does not bother me. I like that it marches to its own beat.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Lane
                      • Aug 2010

its my favorite store and im 23, I just ignore the fact that the clientele are usually fat rich douchebags.

Comment

• kunk75
                        Banned
                        • May 2008

anyone have a spare death in june ticket? somehow forgot they were playing bell house

Comment

• fncyths
                          • Apr 2010

pm me. an old gf of mine handles the booking
                          Originally posted by Shucks
                          it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
                          Originally posted by interest1
                          I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• bonejelly
                            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by fncyths View Post
                            pm me. an old gf of mine handles the booking
                            maybe see you folks there

Comment

• dji
                              • Feb 2008

any recommendations for places for dinner this Saturday in Williamsburg? will be shooting through on the way to see the girlfriend's relatives.

Comment

• Anomie
                                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by dji View Post
                                any recommendations for places for dinner this Saturday in Williamsburg? will be shooting through on the way to see the girlfriend's relatives.
                                What is your price range?

Aska - One of the best meals in NY at this time but is is a $110 tasting menu. However you can eat a small portion of the menu at the bar ala carte.

The Elm - you can also eat at the bar.

Reynards - American cuisine. Less expensive than Aska and The Elm. Very good natural winelist.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎