X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

They can't do that - it's against the law. Most people just don't know about it.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• interest1
      • Nov 2008

Sure, but just try arguing that point with a NYC cabbie on a rainy corner of 2nd Ave at 11pm.
      *window rolls back up / drives away..

Worse is soliciting the customer for some nasty-nasty, but it happens all the time and they get away with it because nobody reports it.

Thinking about it, I've had more horror happen in cabs than any other form of NYC transportation, lol. Never a single incident on the subway, alone, even at 2am.. But jump in the back of a taxi and people think they can say anything to you. It's like, "Dude, I'm paying you to get me from point A to point B, not a game of 20 questions about my personal life I have zero interest in answering".

dji, keep your car!
      sain't

Comment

• dji
        • Feb 2008

Turns out traffic in NYC is much more civil than in DC, no issues at all driving in to Manhattan and parking on the street around the corner from Atelier.

Comment

• theetruscan
          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by interest1 View Post
          Sure, but just try arguing that point with a NYC cabbie on a rainy corner of 2nd Ave at 11pm.
          *window rolls back up / drives away..
          Do you not have UberX in NYC yet? I had entirely forgotten the trials and tribulations of cabs.
          Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by dji View Post
            Turns out traffic in NYC is much more civil than in DC, no issues at all driving in to Manhattan and parking on the street around the corner from Atelier.
            Sunday is the day for parking in Manhattan. Saturday is Ok too. DC is notorious for its traffic, totally forgot about that.

Yes, etruscan, we have Uber.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theetruscan
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              Yes, etruscan, we have Uber.
              Yeah, just looked. But it's spendy there (~1.5x SF prices).
              Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Ahimsa
                Vegan Police
                • Sep 2011

Adding more Vegan/Vegetarian restaurant reviews. Original here.

Kajitsu. Vegan Japanese. Set prices. Most expensive vegan restaurant in the city.
                Basically if you like real Japanese food it is fantastic. I tasted flavors that I never knew existed and there was this one pickled thing that once eaten made your tongue all tingly and changed the flavor of the soup it came with. When I went most of the diners were Japanese which I usually think of as a good sign. Ippodo tea and accessories are also sold at the counter.

Red Bamboo. Pan-asian creole soul food. Vegetarian/ Mostly vegan. All desserts are vegan and vegetarian meals have like an asterisk. Deep fried cod cakes, shrimp Rangoon, creole soul chicken...they also serve Lambic and Duvel which was a nice surprise, though maybe not since the Belgian beer lounge Vol de Nuit is a few buildings down. Regardless, I loved it because it varies from comfort food to curry.

Pukk. Vegetarian/ Mostly Vegan Thai food. Some of their stuff just randomly has egg in it so one needs to ask, but it's mostly just the noodles. Deserts are all vegan. They have a focus on faux meats, mostly being chicken and duck. I enjoyed it quite a bit. The desserts are iffy. Lula's Sweet Apothecary and Babycakes are right nearby though if you need that sweetness fix.

Souen. Mostly vegan with some fish Macrobiotic restaurant. It's a chain. Meals are very wholesome and feel like rural food...basically what I grew up on lol, so it's quite comforting. Don't expect a lot of flavor.

Beyond Sushi. Vegan fusion kosher sushi. They use forbidden rice, which looks black but is actually a really deep purple. It's fairly awesome though. It basically incorporates a bunch of amazing flavors into sushi rolls like mango, pickled jalapeno etc.

Vegetarian Dim Sum. Vegetarian/ Mostly vegan. It was so good. I had mock duck, mock pork buns, mock shark fin soup buns, and so much more. Just order from the dim sum/dumpling menu and it will cost you so little for an enormous amount/variety of food.

Banana Leaf. A Sri Lankan restaurant with many vegan options. They deep fry pretty much everything lol.

Brooklyn Bagel & Coffee Company. Spelt bagels and a vast array of tofu creamcheeses? Sold.

Basic Smorgasburg options-
                Asia Dog- many vegan options with vegan hotdog.
                Chickpea and Olive-Vegan beat burger sliders.
                Queen Cobra- Thai food with roti.
                Alchemy Creamery- Vegan ice cream with bizarre flavors.
                Bombay Sandwich Co.- Vegan curry sandwiches. They're opening up a location in Chelsea very soon.
                Last edited by Ahimsa; 11-23-2013, 11:14 PM. Reason: added one I ate at tonight
                StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• endersgame
                  • Aug 2009

Originally posted by dji View Post
                  if you are open to paying for parking, driving and owning a car here is very doable. i don't even bother with street parking anymore, it's torture. i just head for a garage and pay the outrageous parking fees. after a while, you'll never street park again..

great thing about driving here is you can go very fast. i've never been pulled over for speeding, but i've gotten other tickets served to me. inspections, expired reg., illegal turns, but never for speeding. i guess when everyone drives fast, you're just keeping up with traffic..

Comment

• zamb
                    • Nov 2006

Somehow I thought you said PRADA

“You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• messenoire
                      • Nov 2009

i'll be in town for nyfw, anything sz related going on that week?

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by messenoire View Post
                        i'll be in town for nyfw, anything sz related going on that week?
                        Maybe.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• endorphinz
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2009

anyone check out Super Bowl blvd?

probably nuthin but I might take the 13 block stroll anyway

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Whatever keeps you away from SZ

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• endorphinz
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2009

^have phone,will post

Comment

• dji
                                • Feb 2008

Anyone checking out the Isetan pop up?

Comment

Working...