X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laika
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post
    "Do you wear a suit when you jog?" (audience question)

This is why people don't like doing Q&As.
    in all fairness, this is hardly more mundane than the absurdly vague and predictable, "what is your idea of masculinity?" in fact, questions about a personal uniform/ethics of dressing yourself seem like a far more direct route to drawing out something about the above.
    No doubt the inquiry could be phrased in a more provocative way, but to deny the question all together is to imply that the actual clothes don't matter...or that they are less important than ideas.

Being subjected to any of these questions--in front of audience--sounds awful though...
    ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by laika View Post
      in all fairness, this is hardly more mundane than the absurdly vague and predictable, "what is your idea of masculinity?" in fact, questions about a personal uniform/ethics of dressing yourself seem like a far more direct route to drawing out something about the above.
      No doubt the inquiry could be phrased in a more provocative way, but to deny the question all together is to imply that the actual clothes don't matter...or that they are less important than ideas.

Being subjected to any of these questions--in front of audience--sounds awful though...
      I guarantee you that the person who posed the question had nothing of the sort in mind. But if you want to find out about Browne's stance on having a uniform, you are going to have to pick up a copy of StyleZeitgeist Volume 5
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• CityHunter
        • Apr 2011

Heading to NYC in a few weeks, was excited to check out Graymarket, but...did it close down? Or is it still open along with Idol?

Comment

• flashoflight
          • Sep 2013

Anyone here know of a tailor in Manhattan that could do a small stitch fix on a Julius blazer? I'd like to have it stitched exactly the way it was originally. Chances are any decent tailor should be able to do it as it is a very minute fix (probably even unnecessary), but I just want to make sure it is done the way I want and that I don't have to worry about them messing it up.

This is what I'm talking about:

On the other side, the stitching is tighter and there isn't a gap between the upper and lower part. Here, the stitching has frayed and is now really loose.

Tia

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Chris French. Will cost you, but they are good.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• macutay
              • Jun 2013

I'll go ahead and piggy back off of flashoflight's post - Can anyone refer me to a noteworthy establishment for a taper job on a pair of Boris jeans?

I had them hemmed back when I was living in CA, and the hem just has too much of a flare going on.

Comment

• flashoflight
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                Chris French. Will cost you, but they are good.
                Thanks Faust. I saw a few recs for them in earlier posts, but upon checking reviews for them, was a little hesitant. But your endorsement trumps the reviews. I'll go check them out.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by macutay View Post
                  I'll go ahead and piggy back off of flashoflight's post - Can anyone refer me to a noteworthy establishment for a taper job on a pair of Boris jeans?

I had them hemmed back when I was living in CA, and the hem just has too much of a flare going on.
                  Chris French, again (again, expensive). I've taken several pairs of jeans to them to be tapered and happy with their service. You will always find a bad review online for any business. Also, people tend to take to the Internet when they are dissatisfied.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• flashoflight
                    • Sep 2013

Also, people tend to take to the Internet when they are dissatisfied.
                    Fair enough. Is there someone in specific that you prefer to speak with about your fixes when you go there?

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

No, they just take your measurements and then the elves do the rest.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• darkbydesign
                        • Sep 2010

Can vouch for Chris French having had various Thamanyah pieces done there.

So........completely random question that some of the New Yorkers on here can help me with. I have business meetings in Tokyo all next week and as many of you know, it's tradition that I bring some small gifts to give everyone there that represent New York City. What types of things would you take that are small tokens that represent New York? Could be anything and would love to get some better ideas. Thx

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

What's the cheese level we are talking? I HEART NY tshirts or something interesting that requires "getting it."?

How about bags of Guerrilla Coffee? Roasted in Brooklyn. Mast Brothers chocolate?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• fncyths
                            • Apr 2010

.. Mast Brothers chocolate?
                            Mast Brothers for sure! That's been quite the hit lately with my gift giving! Simple and delicious.
                            Originally posted by Shucks
                            it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
                            Originally posted by interest1
                            I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by fncyths View Post
                              Mast Brothers for sure! That's been quite the hit lately with my gift giving! Simple and delicious.
                              It's amazing to see their meteoric rise. Just mind-boggling. The chocolate is good though.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• darkbydesign
                                • Sep 2010

I like the Gr-coffee and Mast Bros recommendations. I prefer the "getting it" part, but honestly, I'm there to discuss science/medicine and hard to predict the intimacy level, though previously their gifts to me (when in the US) have been pretty amazing. I may do both of these suggestions and then one more item that is wildcard right now. I wish there was something other than the I <3 NY shirts that everyone associates with NY but isn't cheesy, though I think I'll stick to chocolates, candies, and coffee that is special to our city. That's a safer, less cheesy route. :)

Thanks guys

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎