Page 68 of 74 FirstFirst ... 185859606162636465666768697071727374 LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 1473

Thread: New York thread

  1. #1341
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    525

    Default

    The good thing is that restaurant wise, the prices between authentic Chinese food don't vary much between Flushing and Chinatown. Mission Chinese is good food for sure, but it's definitely a creative chinese restaurant so you miss out on the experience of authentic Chinese food which is something NYC is really good at doing! Xi'an and Biang! are both also really good at what they do (Biang! being on the spicier end of street inspired food and Xi'an consistently putting out great options) however, they both remove the feeling of being in a traditional Chinese restaurant as we've come to know them in NYC, and I wouldn't take a visiting friend to either of those as a main meal. They both serve their purpose well though as a fast casual stop or a place for lunch as opposed to dinner maybe. Nom Wah and Jing Fong (second oldest dim sum spot in NYC) both put out really good, traditional dim sum but they both get PACKED very quickly, especially on the weekends. Both are definitely worth the wait though. Golden Unicorn is another good option for dim sum and is noticeably cleaner than Nom Wah and Jing Fong, if that matters to you! Besides what was previously mentioned, Big Wong and Wu Liang Ye are two good city based options and Foo Kee in Flushing is another good one. Don't be afraid to walk in to a random restaurant in Flushing or Chinatown though! Quality of the food doesn't drop off in a noticeable way through any of the old restaurants in Flushing or Chinatown so you'd honestly be safe with walking into any of these restaurants with a health grade of A.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

  2. #1342

    Default

    Thanks for the info (solid stuff eleves) Gonna do Mission Chinese 1st, since she's staying right by there and the whole "experience/fantasy" of it is a draw. I'll keep the other ones noted whist exploring. Here's to some good FW parties too.

  3. #1343
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    525

    Default

    If anyone is free and looking for something cool to check out, The Wonder 500 campaign has been in NYC and I finally had the chance to stop by. It's an exhibition showcasing a wide array of products from the 47 Japanese Prefectures. There are lots of amazing and unique products to be seen and handled and there are also lots of things that can be tasted such as Japanese sweets and teas! Unfortunately, there is nothing actually for sale at the exhibition but many of the products are carried by various shops around the city! It's running until 7pm at 4 West 43rd Street (a nice little escape from the hellhole that is Midtown) and today is the last day!!!

    https://thewonder500.com/products/?lang=en
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

  4. #1344
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,820

    Default

    Looks fun. I wish you'd post this earlier.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

  5. #1345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
    There's a Biang in the East Village now where Alder used to be
    Just went to this one last night. Wasn't very impressed, nor was my Chongqing friend. Much better for parties than Xi'an because of the tables/appetizers but was almost twice the price for smaller portions of basically the same food. Their desserts weren't done that well and they had undercooked my rice cake : /

  6. #1346
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,820

    Default

    Prices for food have become so stupid in NY all of a sudden. $17 pastrami sandwiches, $14 porchetta sandwiches, can hardly get a coffee under $4, $9 chocolate bars, $3 baguettes are the new normal. This premiumization of food is nefarious. Especially in contrast with Italy and France, where I just came from. You can get a fantastic plate of pasta and a glass of house red smack in the middle of Rome. $4 for a great porchetta sandwich. $1.50 for a cappuccino. A bowl of ramen in Tokyo is $7, half of that on NYC. Fucking hipsters ruin everything.

    The worst thing is the small, "sharing" plates trend. It's such bullshit. You end up spending so much more and not much to show for it. Perfect for models and other millions of fitness-obsessed NY women that are into going to restaurants but not into eating.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

  7. #1347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Prices for food have become so stupid in NY all of a sudden. $17 pastrami sandwiches, $14 porchetta sandwiches, can hardly get a coffee under $4, $9 chocolate bars, $3 baguettes are the new normal. This premiumization of food is nefarious. Especially in contrast with Italy and France, where I just came from. You can get a fantastic plate of pasta and a glass of house red smack in the middle of Rome. $4 for a great porchetta sandwich. $1.50 for a cappuccino. A bowl of ramen in Tokyo is $7, half of that on NYC. Fucking hipsters ruin everything.

    The worst thing is the small, "sharing" plates trend. It's such bullshit. You end up spending so much more and not much to show for it. Perfect for models and other millions of fitness-obsessed NY women that are into going to restaurants but not into eating.
    THIS. Man... when Porchetta opened in the east village a ways back I was very excited to try it... then saw the price and just got the half sandwich which is barely 3 bites. I understand needing to cover rent costs, but man the prices are brutal. $15 ramen is "normal" too like you said which is nuts. A basic day out in NYC can easily set you back $100 and all you did was ride the train a few times, have a couple coffees, a noodle lunch and split dinner with friends. Ah well....


    For asian/chinese food I eat at Cafe 69, Xi'an (as others have mentioned), Kenka on St. Marks, and as much as possible over in Flushing. Although not traditional, I hear good things about Fung Tu and need to hit it up next time. Shanghai Tide in Flushing is AYCE dim sum and hot pot PLUS AYCD beers for $25 a person. Killer. Nan Xiang in Flushing is also pretty great for soup dumplings made to order. For Korean, Woorijib in K-town is another favorite and Golden Unicorn for dim sum in Chinatown.

    For the money, I have also had great experiences at Contra, Pearl & Ash and more recently at Rebelle. June is another great place with good pricing, food and wine list with low markups and plenty of harder to find bottles. I hear good things about Wildair too.
    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

    Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

  8. #1348
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,820

    Default

    What's worse, I am talking about many places that are in Brooklyn, where overhead is much lower. Then you've got total scams like Smorgasburg, where you end up spending $30 on food from FOOD TRUCKS (talk about low overhead) and you haven't really eaten all that much or interesting. But hipsters love their overpriced food, I guess.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

  9. #1349

  10. #1350
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,820

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
    I don't believe this for a second.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

  11. #1351
    Senior Member MikeN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,205

    Default

    Why not?

  12. #1352
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,820

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
    Why not?
    Because there is no actual math. A $20 sandwich is a ripoff unless you stuff it with foie gras. There is no way in hell the meat costs this much. The deli is a conveyor of tourists. I am sure the owners clear a million a year at least.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

  13. #1353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Because there is no actual math. A $20 sandwich is a ripoff unless you stuff it with foie gras. There is no way in hell the meat costs this much. The deli is a conveyor of tourists. I am sure the owners clear a million a year at least.
    This so makes me want to go down reminiscence lane before NYC became Disneyland for "those people".

    It won't make any sense to those who are under their mid 30's and didn't grow up in this city.

    In simple terms, it used to be wild, fun, crazy, you could run around and go to a punk show, later a rave, then a house party, get blasted, meet 50 new people, see 50 others you were friends with, and get home, all for about 10-15 bucks, I'm just glad I got to experience it.

  14. #1354

    Default

    Honestly, adjusted for inflation it's the same shit now if you're smart. I maybe would not feel as comfortable freebasing in the middle of Houston St at 9 pm as I would have in 1995 but otherwise -- none of that is particularly gone.

    Manhattan being a strip mall for the affluent is another issue.

  15. #1355

    Default

    after living in nyc for over 30 years, i'm moving to asia.

    i can't make enough money for a decent life here. no way can i raise a family in nyc. my retirement savings is a joke. healthcare is a joke. income taxes. gun violence. trump. $20 sandwiches.

    adios!

  16. #1356

    Default

    Enjoy double taxation without representation unless you give up your citizenship

  17. #1357

    Default

    Really? I asked my accountant and she told me I just pay US tax on income abroad. Not the country tax and US tax.

    Depending on the situation down the road, I don't have a problem giving up my US citizenship.

  18. #1358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arkady View Post
    Honestly, adjusted for inflation it's the same shit now if you're smart. I maybe would not feel as comfortable freebasing in the middle of Houston St at 9 pm as I would have in 1995 but otherwise -- none of that is particularly gone.

    Manhattan being a strip mall for the affluent is another issue.
    It feels different though, I don't know if that's me getting older though, and for sure I know there's still very cool stuff happening, I guess it's that 20 years ago it felt like you could just fall into one cool thing after another, where now you need to know where the things are. Babbling I know.

    It just seems like the soul is missing, something I can't put into words. It was more dangerous then, but also felt like the city was a living thing, where now it feels to me personally more like a machine.

    You can still freebase on Houston, np, just do it east of say west broadway/ Bowery Should be ok ;) This reminds me of a thing I love, there are still so many junkies on the east side, especially their old favorite Tompkins, they're like a remnant of some kind from those times, maybe like a stain, that the city just can't seem to get out.

  19. #1359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by endersgame View Post
    Really? I asked my accountant and she told me I just pay US tax on income abroad. Not the country tax and US tax.

    Depending on the situation down the road, I don't have a problem giving up my US citizenship.
    Everything I know says you pay both above a threshold. For example Germany's treaty with the US dictates anything above $106K gross annual income you will incur German taxes as well, which means you get hit for about 75% total. Other countries without treaties with the US you pay both from the get-go. If you're a resident the foreign nation will be taxing you, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but your accountant is off her ass. I've been knee deep in this issue myself as I had hoped to relocate to the EU but my business is in the US.

    FATCA is fucking us all and expatriots don't even have a representative in Congress which is almost impossible to wrap your head around given America's history. At this point the new FATCA regulations are so grueling and the penalties for noncompliance with US government requests so brutal that foreign banks simple are starting to just outright reject American clientele.

  20. #1360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PUCK View Post
    It feels different though, I don't know if that's me getting older though, and for sure I know there's still very cool stuff happening, I guess it's that 20 years ago it felt like you could just fall into one cool thing after another, where now you need to know where the things are. Babbling I know.

    It just seems like the soul is missing, something I can't put into words. It was more dangerous then, but also felt like the city was a living thing, where now it feels to me personally more like a machine.

    You can still freebase on Houston, np, just do it east of say west broadway/ Bowery Should be ok ;) This reminds me of a thing I love, there are still so many junkies on the east side, especially their old favorite Tompkins, they're like a remnant of some kind from those times, maybe like a stain, that the city just can't seem to get out.
    Indeed, this is hard to argue with as all the raves and punk shows are now native content experiences for Absolut vodka.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •