X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theetruscan
    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
    I read recently that Eleven Madison Park's steak is aged 140 days and that Batali's place in Vegas and a new place in Dallas offer a 240 day aged steak. I need to place it in my body asap. Will hit up the Dallas location next month potentially.
    My local butcher does excellent grass fed, and grass-fed, grain-finished steak, ages them 21, 45, 60, 100 days. I can say that, for me at least, the sweet spot is 45-60 days. Development, tenderness, interesting flavors going on, but still properly rich steak flavored. By 100 days, the texture is a bit off for me, and the meat just has too much stink.

Enjoy trying it out, but be warned: long-aged steak is funky stuff.
    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Chinorlz
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
      My local butcher does excellent grass fed, and grass-fed, grain-finished steak, ages them 21, 45, 60, 100 days. I can say that, for me at least, the sweet spot is 45-60 days. Development, tenderness, interesting flavors going on, but still properly rich steak flavored. By 100 days, the texture is a bit off for me, and the meat just has too much stink.

Enjoy trying it out, but be warned: long-aged steak is funky stuff.

As always, a wealth of knowledge in the culinary world :)

Like you said, I think I just need to try it just to see what its like. Next week I'll be dining at Killens just outside of Houston and will be sampling (finally) a small amount of true wagyu from Saga prefecture if they have it in. See what its all about and then eat a big ass bone in ribeye :)
      www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• eleves
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
        As always, a wealth of knowledge in the culinary world :)

Like you said, I think I just need to try it just to see what its like. Next week I'll be dining at Killens just outside of Houston and will be sampling (finally) a small amount of true wagyu from Saga prefecture if they have it in. See what its all about and then eat a big ass bone in ribeye :)
        I have yet to try some good and true wagyu, can't wait until I do though!
        Originally posted by Faust
        HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• endersgame
          • Aug 2009

anyone in nyc climb rock walls?

i'm looking for a belay partner. if you can climb better than 5.9, then you can take me to school.

Comment

• Ahimsa
            Vegan Police
            • Sep 2011

More NYC vegan restaurant reviews.
            First two here and here.

Cinnamon Snail - amazing vegan food truck. This year it came in 4th place out of the top 100 places to eat in the US from Yelp reviews, #1 in NYC. Their sandwiches are fantastic. Their pastries are hit and miss, but they were on a list of the best 10 donut places in NYC along with Dun-well Donuts (which is also vegan). Their leaf of choice is pretty much always arugula just in case someone doesn't like arugula.

Bunna Cafe - vegan Ethiopian. You eat with your hands. Fairly amazing, and good luck finishing if you order the feast. They have a coffee ceremony every few hours.

Teany - mostly vegan. Was partly started by Moby. They have a ridiculous amount of teas and a case in the front of sooo many vegan desserts and cakes.

Gobo - superior version of Zen Palate, which is alright, haven't been there in years. Gobo is mostly vegan. It's on seamless and is definitely my favorite for takeout when I was living in Manhattan.

Coco Lin - vegan chinese food. Classic American deep fried Chinese food. One of my favorite takeout places in Brooklyn.

LA Burrito - Many vegan options with tofu sour cream, and vegan cheese. I like it for takeout in Brooklyn.

Pine Box Rock Shop - vegan bar in Brooklyn. They have empanadas.

Soy and Sake - mostly vegan. Sister restaurant to Red Bamboo. They have some of the same dishes. Focuses more on drinks and sushi.

Blythe Ann's (Formerly Lula's Sweet Apothecary) - vegan ice cream. Simply amazing. Different flavors daily.

Van Leuuwen Artisan Ice Cream - many vegan options. Good for getting simpler vegan flavors. A bit pricey.

Loving Hut ( The one in Midtown Chelsea near Penn Station is called something else now) - Worldwide vegan fast food chain. Very hit and miss. Basically go for the most unhealthy sounding things on the menu and it'll workout.

Lan Cafe - vegan Vietnamese. For your pho and banh mi fix. Really good deal for the price. Some very ethnic dishes available as well.

Mŏkbar - Korean ramen bar in Chelsea market. They have vegan ramen which is so hard to find.

Dirt Candy - mostly vegan. Really tiny place, good luck on getting in if you don't have a reservation. Really, really good.

Maoz Vegetarian - mostly vegan. I think my favorite falafel place. I like it better than Taim.

Terri - vegan fast food. Basically the same thing a Blossom du Jour, but slightly worse.

V Note - ate here for Valentine's dinner. I liked it quite a bit. I'd put it on the same level as Blossom.

Angelica Kitchen - vegan. It was fairly good. Pretty basic fair as I recall.
            StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• MikeN
              • Nov 2007

Thanks, it's great to have a list of places I should avoid.

Comment

• eleves
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by MikeN View Post
                Thanks, it's great to have a list of places I should avoid.
                hahahaha! I've never been much for vegan either but I'm definitely willing to try some cool places out. I tried going vegetarian for one month and I lost some weight and felt great physically, but my soul... my soul was empty
                Originally posted by Faust
                HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

I'll just say again that Blossom in Chelsea is brilliant.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• tenkibearpop
                    • May 2014

Can anyone recommend a good shoe cobbler? My geo's heels are starting to get wrecked. ):

Edit: Firm Shoe etc etc. Thank you search engine.
                    Last edited by tenkibearpop; 07-26-2014, 07:40 PM.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by MikeN View Post
                      I'd still consider it the best in New York, maybe even the best I've ever had. Also the burger is my favorite burger in the world. This is coming from a big meat eater.
                      Oh, yeah, totally forgot. The Peter Luger burger was fantastic.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• flashoflight
                        • Sep 2013

Ahimsa, thanks for this! Been trying a couple of places from your previous lists and they have all been great so far.

Comment

• Ahimsa
                          Vegan Police
                          • Sep 2011

Thank you flashoflight. I'll probably be adding in more non-vegan restaurants as I run out of options but chances are they'll mostly be Indian/Japanese.
                          StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• rider
                            eyes of the world
                            • Jun 2009

ILILI on 5th at 30th. Lebanese/Mediterranean cuisine. the lobster hommus is sensational, but I've never had a single dish I didnt like, even go so far to say love. try anything with figs.
                            there was a drink called fresh meadow with lebanese cucumber gin I never thought I would like but wow, just wow...

Comment

• lazyguru
                              • Jun 2008

^ agreed , I also love the lamb burger & those truffle eggs dip thing are yummy!

Comment

• messenoire
                                • Nov 2009

i finally made it to beauty & essex this tuesday night and the food was great. also anyone have any ideas on where the new atelier will be?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎