Thread: Randomness

  1. #5481

    Default

    Yes, this is getting ridiculous, people are overreacting because of the medias, both looters and neighbors. All that for a few pairs of jeans.




    Good ol' materialism.

  2. #5482

    Default

    Twitter is the main culprit here. People stirring the pot by randomly going "it's all kicking off at oxford street now!" like its the last bastion of London under siege. I've been at oxford street from 10-4.30 and everything has been just dandy, just police presence becoming slightly more dense as the evening approaches. The Hare krishna's know what's up, they were singing and dancing as always.

  3. #5483
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Twitter is the main culprit here. People stirring the pot by randomly going "it's all kicking off at oxford street now!" like its the last bastion of London under siege. I've been at oxford street from 10-4.30 and everything has been just dandy, just police presence becoming slightly more dense as the evening approaches. The Hare krishna's know what's up, they were singing and dancing as always.


    Thatcher and her ilk are the main culprits here. You cannot keep on destroying the middle class and driving people into poverty, not affording them an opportunity for a decent life while enriching the already rich and not expect this. I won't be surprised if similar riots break out in the US.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

  4. #5484

    Default

    Thatcher(ism) split the British working class. The top end bought their council properties and moved up. The remainder, compounded by the destruction of industry, fell back into poverty.

    What's going on now is the po-lice hanging back to remind us we need them, and young people playing extreme trick or treat, and the 24 hour meedja machine working the content for all its worth.

  5. #5485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post


    Thatcher and her ilk are the main culprits here. You cannot keep on destroying the middle class and driving people into poverty, not affording them an opportunity for a decent life while enriching the already rich and not expect this. I won't be surprised if similar riots break out in the US.
    I meant for the mass hysteria on tuesday regarding central london, not for the actual root cause of the riots.

  6. #5486
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,840

    Default

    Gotcha. But, twitter, really? Aren't you being a victim of the modern media yourself?
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

  7. #5487

    Default

    Faust, I would never speak in defence of the "cold one", but although she did nothing to help the problem, and did indeed widen the gap between the people it did not start there.
    The rising of the "underclass" has been on the up since the late 60's. This is a complicated social situation.

    But a large part of the cause of the current situation can be found with the terrible situation the police have found themselves in. They are now unable to carry out their job properly for fear of the media slaughtering them for being heavy handed.... Also due to "political correctness" height and fitness restrictions have been to a large part abolished in the service, so the imposing 6ft+ officer of old has been replaced in some cases by a somewhat smaller and weaker man/woman.

    I remember the tail end of the football violence to be found on a saturday all over the country, the police usually sorted that out in a swift and although not always light manor.. it did quell most of the "action", no way that could occur now with every tom dick and harry recording every movement on their iphone...

  8. #5488

    Default




    thank fuck for tom dick and harry.

    also please note as lost53 stated above, the recruitment of midgets to the police force due to health and safety measures.

  9. #5489

    Default

    ..don't think I was condoning such actions... I was there (g20) btw, and it was tragic.

    And as for health and safety... er where did you get that from?

    For the record, the football violence that I made a ref to was by and large scum minority, the looting and setting fire to premises is in the same league. Comparison to a organized public demonstration..is not really relevant in the current light of the situation that has now spread beyond the capital. As for the midgets, the requirement to meet a certain height that has been abolished in certain areas, and has impaired the power of the "local bobby", actually two months ago it was under review to reinstate the height requirements... this is not facts gained from you tube the guardian or the sun....
    Last edited by lost53; 08-10-2011 at 11:06 AM.

  10. #5490
    Senior Member jj.still's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    221

    Default


  11. #5491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post


    Thatcher and her ilk are the main culprits here. You cannot keep on destroying the middle class and driving people into poverty, not affording them an opportunity for a decent life while enriching the already rich and not expect this. I won't be surprised if similar riots break out in the US.
    I realize this is an easy impression for a foreigner to get from the media, but it is total bullshit. The UK was a shithole in the 1970s. Things could have gone either way in the 90s, but Labour picked up all the worst aspects of what the Tories left behind, accelerated the destruction of the education system and pursued tax and social policies that reduced social mobility and entrenched the underclass.

  12. #5492
    Senior Member MetroBulotDodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    a cycloning brain
    Posts
    1,312

    Default

    post moved from What Are You Wearing Today

    Quote Originally Posted by zamb View Post
    my original argument is that marriage is as old as human civilization, and as long as human beings exist there will always be the need to marry.

    I am not saying we cannot lived without or never lived without the institution or different forms of it. I am saying the institution is as old as human civilization itself and will continue to exist because human being will always have the desire to do so,
    Amidst the failures of the institution in modern society there is no greater pledge that one can make to a person they love and want to be with than the pledge of marriage...........
    There's a lot in here to address, but I'll keep this one, um, relatively short (no promises.) Marriage may or may not be as old as human civilization - frankly, we'd never know simply because there is no way to determine, in the long history, of non-record keeping civilizations, if a ritual we would recognize as "marriage" existed. I think Z, your insistence that "it must be old as human civilization" comes from a reasonable intuition: that marriage was a ritual that was put into place and continually practiced in certain societies because for them, it did important work in practice. Marriage -- and in particular, the actual ceremony itself - makes "visible" a network of mutual obligations that are established at the moment of marriage. It also works to regenerate that particular social order, reminding us of obligations we may have, past and present. In certain societies, the obligations that come into being through weddings serve as proxy for a legal system. In fact, it's frequently as formal as any legal system that is codified, for example, that one must do this or that if your wife abandons the household of the mother-in-law and leaves for another village, etc etc.

    That said, it's crucially important to remember that "love", "vows", "marriage" and "weddings" are socially and historically specific. As Fuuma noted, we can't assume that any of those categories *are* simply because they must *be*. Unless you're outside of society (and I promise you, you aren't), you've chosen to live alongside a group of people with whom you've agreed to, at the very least, basics in a particular social contract. Our modern, western (Northern Atlantic) social contract through which we operate happens to be one in which there is a multitude of options for pairings, including poly pairings. It in no way suggests a decline of "values" - I think the most we can say is that modernity in (Western) society allows for a differing set of possibilities when it comes to marriage or commitment because marriage doesn't do the *social* work that it once did. We have a legal system in place so that if someone kills your husband, your mother's nephew doesn't have to enact revenge. Given our geographic mobility, and emphasis on the "individual" (so annoying) we are no longer as implicated within a set of kin obligations as we may have once -- for reasons fine and good -- been.

    It's pointless not to "believe in marriage." It's a socially constructed practice that mediates between sets of social orders -- and practiced where it is desired and/or does "work". As such, it's a simple reality that is, and like, for example, the monarchy, you have to decide if it is a practice that means something to you...if it's not, then don't switch on to watch the royal wedding, as it were.

    It seems some of us are complaining over how this particular ritual has become commoditized...that's a whole 'notha thing, I'll skip. What does this have to do with what tbone is wearing at the wedding? If you are close enough to be invited, I would hope it would be understood by the couple that you're there to that you feel a sense of obligation to them. And here's the magical thing: so long as you know the couple and know that they'll allow for broader interpretation of the dress code,you can still convey the seriousness of your sense of mutual obligation with them whilst wearing drop-crotch shorts. Also, they're tailored(?)

    OK, so that was long, but I haven't done that in forever so I'm gonna use my bi-annual license to expound, alright?

    MBD

    p.s. If you could see CJ's wife, I'm many of you would suddenly be very into the idea of marriage. Heh.
    "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
    It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

    -Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
    My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

  13. #5493

    Default

    Allow me to note that this argument was about the meaning of weddings.
    Zamb turned it into the meaning of marriage, which is quite a different discussion.

    And allow me, MBD, to state that the comparison to monarchy is rather poor. Simply because it exists, you can't be for or against it?
    sicut lilium inter spinas

  14. #5494

    Default

    Personally, I wouldn't wear the outfit that sparked this discussion to any of the weddings I've been to/will go to soon, simply because I don't think any of the couples would have appreciated it. Think what you will about marriage (I still haven't made my mind up about it to be honest - I certainly want a monogamous relationship and children somewhere down the road though), a wedding is about the two people who are celebrating their love and dedication for each other. If they're the type who would be fine with me wearing drop crotches/sissy pee/etc to a wedding I'd consider it, until then I'll wear 'boring' suits, because a wedding isn't about my 'individuality' or whatever. I'd show up in just about anything if it made the couple appreciate the day more, just as I hope people would for my wedding.

    But if the outfit was seen as appropriate for the event by the newly weds, then it's all good of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by jogu View Post
    i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

  15. #5495

    Default

    major plus one to profmonitoff
    Selling badass McQueen topcoat 48/38/M. I also write and tweet.

  16. #5496

    Default

    MBD: do you really think the highly theoretical concept of social contract has any relevance to describe actual social mechanisms?

  17. #5497

    Default

    bsr you need to stop making intelligent statements under that avatar. it's so silly i can't square it with the philosophical musings no matter how hard i try haha.

  18. #5498

    Default

    Excellent post MBD. I posted a long thing about marriage in some thread awhile ago, but I can agree with most everything you say.

    As a "gay", my feelings are a bit mixed about marriage for myself. On one hand, I think far too many resources are poured into the marriage equality fight when there are more important battles to be fought (economic inequality, bullying/harassment, rights to housing/healthcare). On the other, I think it is a nice right to have for those who want to have their relationship validated in a traditional way whatever the gender of the couple.

    It's funny because the right wingers are against gay marriage just as much as the far left queer radicals which drives me crazy (we have enough problems without undermining our own movement...).

    At the same time, having just ended a four year relationship with someone who I thought I might spend the rest of my life with, the idea of marriage sounds kind of nice. I think the next guy I will ask if he's into being legally bound to me forever, because I can't take another breakup

  19. #5499

    Default

    idk if i like the idea of bein with someone for life , i mean like in a non friend way . and i def dont like livin with someone forever either . i reeeeeally fuckin hate feelin like i need to sometimes watch what i do etc like if im playin xbox all nite and then its all " what are u still fuckin up playin games ? " . i hate that shit so much , at 1st i feel bad like fine fine ill turn it off and then a minute later when im turnin the lites off i get pretty angry instead like jesus fuckin christ i should be able to do w /e the hell i want

    if its just sex man u can get that anywhere so dont rly need to marry someone for that . cant rly think of anything else that makes gettin married worth it , easier to be single OR just date someone but keep it as dating and not marriage . noooooo maam

  20. #5500

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •