Clear All
  • Farkhanyassin
    • Jan 2010

Hungry hungry, what's for brunch
    MOSLEM PRIEST

Comment

• Sombre
      • Jan 2009

^That question alone just made me homesick. Sunday brunch (I know it's Monday but still) was one of my favorite things about Jamaica.
      An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
      I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• Farkhanyassin
        • Jan 2010

Sorry to have made you homesick.

I didn't know you were from Jamaica? What'd you guys have for Sunday Brunch?

I just spent the whole day at my brother's place for Mother's Day barbeque yesterday. Homemade burger patties and lamb kofta with grilled buns, I already miss yesterday
        MOSLEM PRIEST

Comment

• Fade to Black
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by laughed View Post
          most the kids i went to school with are married, kids, divorced and well....i guess i can say not the most ambitious bunch. I would guess that from what I know 90 percent of 'em hate the way life has turned out. Somehow I always knew it....i always knew it. As for me, it only gets better...
          ditto, Facebook is great for this if in need of a vindication trip. Few things top the satisfaction of going, 'another one bites the dust.'
          www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Catfood
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by laughed View Post
            most the kids i went to school with are married, kids, divorced and well....i guess i can say not the most ambitious bunch. I would guess that from what I know 90 percent of 'em hate the way life has turned out. Somehow I always knew it....i always knew it. As for me, it only gets better...
            I think making the assumption that they dislike the way life turned out probably is incorrect. There is an excellent talk here that makes the case much more eloquently than I could, but the gist of it is that having success, wealth or intelligence doesn't make you any more likely to be happy or unhappy. We also tend to vastly overestimate the impact of negative outcomes, failing a college exam for example doesn't really make us as unhappy as we might think beforehand.

Comment

• Sombre
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Farkhanyassin View Post
              Sorry to have made you homesick.

I didn't know you were from Jamaica? What'd you guys have for Sunday Brunch?

I just spent the whole day at my brother's place for Mother's Day barbeque yesterday. Homemade burger patties and lamb kofta with grilled buns, I already miss yesterday
              No worries. Sunday Brunch for me was usually fish seasoned with sugar and lime, lightly floured, fried (or steamed without flour), and then garnished with Scotch Bonnet peppers (really spicy), onions, and carrots - called escoveitch fish, with a side of festival, which is a delicious starchy concoction consisting of flour, cornmeal, sugar, lime, and sometimes honey. And I'd wash it down with a glass of tropical fruit punch. I forgot to add mangoes on the side. It was always a good meal.

Your Mother's Day barbecue doesn't sound bad. I've been here eating campus food for so long I forgotten what a really delicious meal tastes and feels like. I think I need to be reminded.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                • Sep 2008

That sounds incredible, Sombre. I love Jamaican food, my regret is that I never ate enough of it (never really lived in a place with easy access to it).

One of my lifelong dreams is to find myself drowning in a tub of spicy jerk chicken, curry goat and rice...
                www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Sombre
                  • Jan 2009

Jerk chicken is my favourite dish, hands down. You'll find Jamaican food in any place with a Jamaican community (one of the first things they do is get together and eat), although I'm not sure how big the one in Hong Kong is (if there's one at all). My uncle does a lot of traveling and has been there more than a couple of times, so I can ask him if he knows of one.

Comment

• zamb
                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by SombreResplendence View Post
                    Jerk chicken is my favourite dish, hands down. You'll find Jamaican food in any place with a Jamaican community (one of the first things they do is get together and eat), although I'm not sure how big the one in Hong Kong is (if there's one at all). My uncle does a lot of traveling and has been there more than a couple of times, so I can ask him if he knows of one.
                    is there any Place on this Planet where there isnt a Jamaican Community?

Man, we are everywhere..................
                    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Fry Chicken
                      • Oct 2009

France? and Sweden?
                      Never met a Jamaican in these two countries...
                      Last edited by Fry Chicken; 02-15-2011, 02:38 PM.

Comment

• zamb
                        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Catfood View Post
                        I think making the assumption that they dislike the way life turned out probably is incorrect. There is an excellent talk here that makes the case much more eloquently than I could, but the gist of it is that having success, wealth or intelligence doesn't make you any more likely to be happy or unhappy. We also tend to vastly overestimate the impact of negative outcomes, failing a college exam for example doesn't really make us as unhappy as we might think beforehand.

When i saw laughed post i thought the exact same thing.......
                        and this is a serious philosophical question. How does one really measure Happiness, and what factors in an individuals life, other than ones perspective of a given situation really makes them happy?

I never feel happy about seeing my friends from high school or otherwise, being in less than savory situation. there is a certain mixed feeling that I have towards it. In the sense that while I have seen better days (at least economically) I am really blessed to be where I am, knowing where I am coming from. I also know that it could have been very easy for me to be in a similar situation as many of my less fortunate friends..............

while our own hard work and ingenuity contributes to our success, sometimes life throws some deadly blows at us, for which we have neither resistance nor counter punch..............

Comment

• zamb
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Fry Chicken View Post
                          France? and Sweden?
                          Living between these two countries, and never met a Jamaican...
                          wherever the weed is smoken,
                          Jamaicans has spoken

Comment

• sam_tem
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by zamb View Post
                            I never feel happy about seeing my friends from high school or otherwise, being in less than savory situation. there is a certain mixed feeling that I have towards it. In the sense that while I have seen better days (at least economically) I am really blessed to be where I am, knowing where I am coming from. I also know that it could have been very easy for me to be in a similar situation as many of my less fortunate friends..............

while our own hard work and ingenuity contributes to our success, sometimes life throws some deadly blows at us, for which we have neither resistance nor counter punch..............
                            I think “happiness” is overrated (and the more cynical of us could perhaps go as far as to say that happiness is ignorance) and that at the end of the day life just boils down to a simple state of being. Whether your life was joyous, tumultuous, rich, poor, etc. matters little when you’re on your death bed. Of course everyone would like to have lived the happy life and deserves to, but in my experience those are the times that hold the least amount of meaning in our lives and pass the quickest (I’m projecting here, perhaps that’s just me as I tend to equate happiness with times when there was little stress, deadlines, major chores/work, studying, hurdles to be cleared, hard decisions to be made, etc.). I believe there was an oft-quoted poem we all remember from high school about taking the path less traveled and I think that also applies to taking the harder road in life. Even if that amounts to having to live with the harsh consequences of bad decisions when you were young, it still translates into living a life that pushes one to find a truer meaning for living than mere happiness and contentment.

So in saying this, just because all your high school friends never graduated college and are still living the small-town life in their hometown with multiple kids from multiple relationships (and the lbs to show for it), it doesn’t mean that there life is any less rewarding than yours. Certainly there’s socio-economic trends that would show that they’re not as healthy, well-traveled, or as educated about the world, but none of that means that any of us are contributing more to helping make society a better place or working to make a better future for all. I think one should just count their blessings and avoid any sorts of comparison because as we’ve all heard in some form or another, show me a self-made man and I’ll show you a lucky man.

But thank god I’m not still living where I grew up with all those spoiled brats leaching off their parents businesses and all their short-sighted ideals. Unfortunately I’ve traded that with living around a bunch of whining yuppies who think they’re all doing “god’s work” by working/studying hard to make their bloated mortgage/car/private school payments. Thank you Joel Osteen.

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
                              • Jan 2007

I think you're confusing happiness with being numb. I can't live longer than a few weeks without stress, hurdles, etc. I'm usually bored to death by the end of term breaks. Even if I do tons of cool/exciting stuff, I just feel sluggish after a while. Might be the German in me. Of course there are times where I wish I didn't have to get up early every morning and study late at night, but if it means that I have some choice about the future path of my life (and let's please not turn this into a stupid debate about determinism) rather than just drifting along, it's ok. Plus, cooking a nice meal gets rid of any stress, no matter how bad.

Of course I often question whether I'm on the right path, but the only people who don't are boring and single-minded.

Also, my original comment was about her subjective state of mind.
                              Originally posted by jogu
                              i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• laughed
                                • Jul 2009

had a feeling that my last comment would spark a little conversation -
                                understand all the points. To be clear....I am sure all of this is based on how we view life in general and how different our own views are.
                                I came from - not so much a small town - but certainly not the city. I was the kid in high-school who I guess was an outsider, if based on one reason - i wanted to leave! Now, I don't look down on the people who didn't leave, they could be very happy doing whatever it is they do....but in the words of an old friend - "All the cool people left a long time ago."
                                To put it a little more specific...my high-school sweetheart crushed me by cheating on me (years ago)...my first heartbreak...to make a long story short - she IS miserable. After she cheated on me, her dad died (imagine something very terrible), her little sister had a couple kids, one of which she doesn't know who the father is, her mother went to jail (we're talking about a career lady too), and her boyfriend of 5+ years that she had left me for was now cheating on her....and what had she done in the meantime? Drugs, alcohol, etc. Nothing. She in fact was doing a little stripping on the side. Now, I'm not one to judge, but I did come back and actually had a little relationship for a little while. But she was miserable. I had to ditch her again because she was just so damn miserable with how life had treated her.
                                I spoke to her recently and well, she's not much better...and she has told me countless times over the years how she wishes things were different. that's one of at least a few. I have been told by many in miserable land "you have to do it" referring to me living my dreams, almost as if i were doing it for them.
                                I think I am speaking more on the "isn't life sweet" evil side of it all as well as the times that i feel like "what the hell am i doing?" it makes me feel that no matter how much shi* comes my way I AM doing the right thing with myself...I was once carjacked in high-school by someone who i thought was my friend - he's dead. I think choices play a huge role in where we go and whatnot- and to even talk about what Happiness is - well, some people are just looking in the wrong places - plain and simple, and that's pretty much everyone from back in my day. No change. Change is good. No change is good too if you want to really get into it. But you can see it in their eyes - theyre miserable. Me myself, Im fine being miserable. Im certainly miserable more than i am happy - but life is great. Im miserable because I choose a path of resistance. Its the only way that I will be able to accomplish what i want to accomplish. These people know they can be truly happy and accomplish what they would like - but they know they will meet resistance. That's really all it boils down to. I want experience, I want anarchy, I want truth and art. I want a glass of chivas and viva la revolucion! its a never ending debate...but really, I know. We know. And really, it's not just the kids I went to high-school with. This world is filled with people who take - the other path. Good for them. The other key is - you gotta love yourself. For some reason all the girls I end up falling in love with, come to find out - they hate themselves! what's up with that! then.....they hate me! ehh, I still love 'em though! And to touch on the health thing- I'm pretty much like Jackson Pollock as played by Ed Harris in his last days....but it works for me. for now! And the economy? I eat over my sink every night - if i'm lucky. Some weeks its pack of cigs or dinner? In a couple months I'll get back to the pt though. Life is good- can't wait for the summer.

edit - a toast. edit again - is it wrong that I, a man, don't go near insects? Is it considered weak if wake my girlfriend up and have her kill or dispose of the nasty things?
                                Last edited by laughed; 05-11-2010, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎