• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BUMMER
    • Feb 2010

B and T

Not to derail the voting posts...
    But I just watched "Interview with a Vampire" for the first time EVER.
    I felt bad for all the kids inspired to dress 'goth' from a movie starring Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise in heavily combed grunge wigs.
    It was pretty funny.
    That's it.
    Please continue with the political discussion...

Comment

• syed
      • Sep 2010

Not sure whether this is the right place to post this, but I had a little question: Do you guys and gals read any fashion/style magazines, and if so, which ones?

I read lots of online material, but I miss the idea of owning a magazine, flicking through the pages, and having it there on my shelf to refer to. I realize many of the magazines today seem geared purely around marketing and I often find them rather droll, however there must be options out there that are thought provoking and contain good discussion? I have been reading through old SZ threads, and just wish many of the ideas raised in discussions held here were also to be found in printed publications. I just want some intelligent conversation rather than the sycophantic rubbish spewed by so many magazines (I don't mean for that to sound so angry, but from what I have read it seems to be true).
      "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• sam_tem
        • Apr 2007

fuck me, texas went entirely republican practically and we still have to put up with Perry. i'm just not sure what we're supposed to be mad at the democrats for, for practicing keynesian economics or for not giving us nationalized health care?

sux prop 19 failed, but i suppose what we have now may be better than legalization (unless you live in mexico or are a minority, then you're just fucked).

as for magazines, just bon, Encens, and Purple but i'mn not gonna lie and say they're worth the money.

Comment

• theetruscan
          • Jan 2008

I don't really feel like getting into why people vote against their own interests, but I am SO GLAD that Meg Whitman will finally stop harassing me all the time. Ads every time I turned on the TV, pamphlets in the mail every day, phone calls every dinner time. All I've been able to think about politically is "MEG WHITMAN SHUT THE FUCK UP."
          Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Syed, we do have a thread on magazines. I don't think you will get what you are looking for though.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• syed
              • Sep 2010

Faust Yip yip, I was making my way through the magazine threads and the only one that really piqued my interest was encens. So I was just wondering what people read regularly, or indeed if there is even any regular. Given most magazines I seem to come across, I guess the discussions on SZ provide more than enough fuel for thought!
              "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• endersgame
                • Aug 2009

i wouldn't be so hard on grandma, at least they are voting.

the poll manager last night at my district said around 500 people showed up yesterday. this country deserves to be in a shithole with voter turnouts like that..

Comment

• Shucks
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by syed View Post
                  Faust Yip yip, I was making my way through the magazine threads and the only one that really piqued my interest was encens. So I was just wondering what people read regularly, or indeed if there is even any regular. Given most magazines I seem to come across, I guess the discussions on SZ provide more than enough fuel for thought!
                  SOME/THINGS is gorgeous. highly recommended.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Syed is looking for one with actual writing though ;) Maybe try Fantastic Man.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shucks
                      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      Only other one I bother with is Encens. Gentlewoman is good too, but for chix. Kinda miss early Purple...

Comment

• syed
                        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
                        SOME/THINGS is gorgeous. highly recommended.
                        I just checked out their website. And seriously...wow! I may have to save up some money and see about getting an issue for Christmas.

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
                        Only other one I bother with is Encens. Gentlewoman is good too, but for chix. Kinda miss early Purple...
                        Haha, I actually bought the first issue of Gentlewoman when I saw it on the shelf. Admittedly mainly because I saw Phoebe Philo on the cover, but I really enjoyed reading it. Will have to make sure to pick up the latest issue.

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        Thanks for the recommendation :) Only really flicked through a couple of issues, never actually sat down to read one. Will definitely be sure to give it a go, especially after how good Gentlewoman was.

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
                          • Jan 2007

I think I've mentioned this in the magazine thread, but the only one I buy regularly now is Fantastic Man. Last issue was eh, but all the other ones have been superb. 032c is quite good too. Still often get purple even though it's not that great, but at least I don't have to pay $35 for it like Americans do.
                          I got the first issue of SOME/THINGS but didn't really think it warranted the price. Some great people worked on it, but I found the articles to be very hit or miss. Many photography/'coffee-table' books cost less than that and offer more content.

I haven't bought an issue of encens yet but I think I'll buy it next time I see it.

Mostly I just buy old issues of magazines I like from eBay. As long as you're patient and you don't go for the big name ones, many bargains can be found.
                          Originally posted by jogu
                          i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• lowrey
                            ventiundici
                            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by ProfMonnitoff View Post
                            I got the first issue of SOME/THINGS but didn't really think it warranted the price. Some great people worked on it, but I found the articles to be very hit or miss. Many photography/'coffee-table' books cost less than that and offer more content.
                            agreed, I think its first and foremost a photography book
                            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

also agreed.

P.S. I met the owner of 032C earlier this year, and he seemed like a very nice guy who knows exactly what he wants for his magazine, but utterly uninterested in fashion.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• david s
                                • Jul 2010

@Syed : maybe a little late in the thread but I like Vs., it's a Danish magazine I believe...
                                It's absolutely Hedious!
                                shy poser

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎